Women gain right to vote/run for office in KSA

Discussion in 'International News' started by Matt in the Hat, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done King Abdullah

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary...udi-Arabia-a-blow-to-medieval-brands-of-Islam

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be purely symbolic, but in a country as repressive as KSA, symbols are a start...

3. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more than a symbol. It's skipping the line all together. The King could have started with travel restriction or driving or any of the easier issues. But to make women responsible for their own path is nothing short of revolutionary.

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's not like who they're voting for have any power. But fair point. They still can't drive, but now (ok, in a few years) they can vote AND run for office? Seems a little out of order...

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So they're taking steps to avoid an Arab Spring of their own? It seems they have more to lose than their neighbors.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a cynical view which makes for great press but not for great accuracy. King Abdullah has been working on expanding women's rights for years now. For instance, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology was established in 2009 as the first mixed-gender university campus in Saudi Arabia. The religious police do not operate on-site. Women are allowed to mix freely with men and to drive on campus, and they are not required to wear veils in the coeducational classes.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they are allowed to vote to select the Islamic Scholars that make the oppressive rules that would be something.

If they could do that, all the other restrictions would eventually fall.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You obviously know the region lot better than I do, so yeah, I defer to your analysis.

Buuuut, we're talking about a kingdom that allowed Wahhabi Islam to develop, partly to draw any populist resentment against from the rulers. And you don't have to be Cynical McCynicson to assume that there's self-interest behind any policy.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) That was more King Fahd than King Abdollah

2) We allow the Westboro Baptists to exist. 6 of one....

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? you are comparing the amount of power both have as equal?

Maybe Evangalicals with the Wahhabi Islam would be more equal as the power of each group with in their respective states.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Radical Wahhabis become terrorists. Radical Evangelicals join militias or the military. To me, it's the exact same thing. Blood lust in the name of a higher power.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that the guy behind the current King is nearly dead and that guy behind him is even more conservative.

Plus, isn't this, they might be able to vote in 2015 or some far off date? I'll believe this when I see it.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen the show throne of swords or some shit like that on HBO.

Saudi Arabia is kind of like that.

The official king is very sick and has dozens of brothers one of them actually rules the kingdom; the rest would not mind getting the top spot.

Then the oldest son thinks that he should get the crown, but the uncles may not think the same, add all the cousins, I bet there is a lot of shit going on behind closed doors to see who gets the crown in the next few years.

I imagine that “electing” a king is about the same process as election a chairman in China (with out the term limits).