Wolff was on the trading block

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dcuinvermont, Aug 15, 2002.

1. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
  2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing he just signed that extension :).

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Apparently, Wolff did his knee last night. They're waiting on the test results.

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we trade Moreno for him?

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deal!!!

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Riddle me this - is there anyone on United's roster you wouldn't give up for Wolff? Perhaps Pope, but even that is negotiable in my opinion.

If Wolff was on the market I would have given the Fire any one on the DC roster they wanted for him.

The bigger question is did our inept front office even no Wolff was on the market and make an offer to the Fire for him? If you're gonna be in the game, be IN the game.

And for the record, what the hell was Nick S. thinking by not trading Faria to the Fire for Wolffy?

7. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was waiting to see whether sticking the pin in the knee of his Josh Wolff voodoo doll would work....

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even if Wolff is hurt right now. That was a poor decision by Nicky. I know Wolff was not hurt at that point but think about the nightmare. Mathis and Wolff in the Swamps........................just shoot me now.

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    First, the article says "deal involving Faria" which leads me to believe that, if what's reported is true, it could've been Faria, a scrub, and a draft pick. I'm not particularly inclined to believe anything that Nick S. says (the "I'm not calling anyone" comment cracked me up).

Second, offense is not their problem right now.

Third, Wolff just signed a longterm contract for the league max, and there's no way they'd be able to get Costacurta then.

As for us, I'd love to have Wolff here, provided he can stay healthy, which might be easier without Kovalenko hacking him down in practice every day.

Dave

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DCU should make that deal, just so the Metros couldn't.

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I bet Chicago wouldn't take Moreno even up for Wolff. Forget how Moreno has played this year.

1. Age--give up a younger player for an older player? I don't think Bradley would get excited about that.

2. The deal (I think) is partially to clear cap room for Chicago (so they could add other players). So even if they'd do Wolff for Moreno, what they'd really want would be Wolff for Convey and Quaranta (2 players who's combined salary is less than that of Wolff's). Chicago has been hit by injuries and can't do anything about it without clearing up cap space. They aren't going to cut Stoichkov or Nowak. Wolff is a maximum salary guy. They need to move a max salary guy.

For what it's worth, I like Wolff but he has yet to have a season in MLS where (a) he's been his team's leading scorer and (b) he's played 2/3rds of his team's games. He has a worse history of injuries than does Moreno.