Wizards trialists

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you can still polish that...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI"]YouTube- Mythbusters Polishing a Turd[/ame]

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re-working an old line:

"Maybe, like my cat, he is the shit in the box!" :D

3. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only slight.....:D

4. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when will the Wizards announce that Jermaine Beckford has come into camp?

5. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    It seems that Indian striker Sunil chettri has managed to impress Wizards officials,according to sources negotiation between Kansas city wizards and Indian striker is going on.

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

7. mastersk3

mastersk3 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Chennai
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Thad asked PV the other day it sounded to me like it was still to be considered but clearly a decision had not been made either way on Sunil and Rocastle.

Do we even have room on the roster for either or both?

10. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think they are working on a contract for Chhetri. Exactly how close they are I do not know.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 9 or 10 international roster spots at this point, those spots are currently used by Aiyegbusi(?), Auvray, Escobar, Hercegfalvi, Hirsig, Kostrov, Nielsen, Smith(?). So depending on the citizenship (and official signing) of Aiyegbusi and Smith we're using 6-8 of those spots so we would appear to have another international slot to use...

12. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... It might be nice simply to have one or two in hand given the number of international players we have. How many go away at the end of this season?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one we got from RSL appears to only be for this year, so it appears it's just that one. I don't remember how long the DC one was.

14. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have 9 international spots.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So still one open spot if both K and Smith sign and are both internationals.

16. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds about right. I have not tried real hard to figure that out yet because there are so many variables.

They may be waiting to make a decision on a couple players until they know if other players will be approved or if they will count against the international slots.

17. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jimmy Nielsen is only on a one year deal as well so ..... who knows?

If the foreign player acquisitions work out I can't see us not going that way again next year. They are going to get quite valuable those SI slots. I really think, given the expansions and everything that MLS might look into increasing the amounts of players allowed in. If our top talent is going to be poached off, we need to be able to replenish from somewhere and if the domestic game isn't providing the talent it will have to come from somewhere. *If* they improve the standard I think its win win, its not like we have a massive player pool to begin with.

18. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the amount of foreign player slots part of the CBA or is that just league policy? Anyone know?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a league rule.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I think coming from a country like India with zero history in the game on a global scale, it's really hard to get opportunities. Just getting a look in England is a chore for an agent with players like Chhetri, unless a team has a long-term relationship or is really indebted to that agent. If he is one of the best players in that country, I'm interested in him.

The few highlights I've seen are intriguing, but I do some of that for my work, so I know how misleading short snippets can be.

21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Like kuhnscoot said, it is a league rule. However, it is a rule that the league works out with the USSF. So, if they wanted to increase the number of international spots they would need approval from the federation.

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Any country more than 2 million people I am excited about their elite players. There has to be a couple of gems in a billion Indians. Being a second tier league has its advantages. Going after the tweeners of the majors that didn't make the cut but got the invite are the people who we should be looking at. If a third pan out we will be in good shape.

23. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not directed at Kuhn:

I've gone on record before about this here but I absolutely hate international player allotment allowed in MLS. I believe it should be a hard 6 and that's that - no claim shifting with allotments. Kansas City could line up 1 US citizen on the field this year in our domestic league in the heart of a MidWestern US city. So much for advancing the american player in our domestic league. And don't give me the better competition for spots arguement when the best they'd play against could be only their mixed practice teams with no reserve league. You know the catch 22 on the college players vs any real academy system which the US doesn't really have yet. Come to MLS and work for peanuts and never see anything but the practice field the way it's going; how does that produce better talent?

At least the NASL mandated that there must be at least 3 americans on the field at all times. This is a shitty way to go if it rolls this way just to get some momentum in wins. It's a short sighted approach to the long term issues with our club, MLS and eventually US Soccer.

I sincerely hope that Vermes uses the relevant slots for true talent and deals the rest away. Players like a Jewsbury & Harrington could find themselves on the outside looking in due to some roving mercenaries for hire stopping by for a couple seasons. I follow and feel a connection to the Eddie Johnson and Wolff's that have moved overseas (and back). The only two foreign players I ever attempted to track at all was Molnar (who was done) and Simuntenkov. The rest are oblivious because of their mercenary rented time in our league and team I felt no pride or connection to them.

24. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a fan of Preki's then?

25. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess either I'm confused at your point or you are a bit at mine. Preki is a US citizen and has not left our domestic league since it started. He never required an international slot and has played for our National Team.