Wizards switch logo

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Merlin172, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken from a man with Wizards till I die as his moniker while displaying the wrong sport and wrong town as his own logo.:D

I blame the hairy palms.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because the Wizards website is operated by MLS and not by the OnGoal staff here in town.

I presume.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Most of the content is run by the Wizards.

But I'm sure with the relocation of offices - along with the significant changes in office personnel, I'm sure some duties have fallen through the cracks.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the_cyclones brought it up because they did get Wolff off the top of the page the same day he signed with 1860.

5. dknopf

dknopf New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    My theory on logos is that the Wiz were cursed, something like the Red
    Sox and the Bambino, when they caved to become the Wizards. Instead of giving in to an electronics chain, they should've been imaginative, become partners and kept the name. Kind of a bargain-basement Red Bull, a precursor. So it doesn't matter what the Wizards do with their logo; in my heart, they're the Wiz and Preki's still making defenders look silly.

Futsal in KC

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but we won titles in 2000 and 2004...

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Well whoever is running it, can we get the links in the Wizards skin to show up as a different color than the text?

I feel like I'm in a scavenger hunt.

8. jdoppel

jdoppel Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i finally got the x-mas invitation card last night (damn Wizards refuse to update my address!) and i have to say that the new primary logo looks better in print than i thought it would. im glad they made the switch now.

9. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missouri Azzuri?

Anyone? Anyone?

Hell, did I even spell it correctly?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't really have the Italian population here, to warrant calling ourselves the Azzurri. Plus, chances are good that a SSS would be built in Kansas. Which would be even more confusing.

11. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually have a good sized Italian population here. But unfortunately, a lot of them are third and fourth generation, thus they are "Americanized" enough where none of them watch soccer or support the Wizards. They just play poker and open restaurants.

12. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Name Change -vs- Wizard History

If the name is NOT changed now, then in 90 years... the organization will be able to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the "Wizards".

If the name IS changed now, then in 100 years... the organization will be able to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the "new name". What's 10 years here or there?

Just in case my opinion matters, I think some effort should be put into "getting it right"... and rename the team. History will be made, either with a goofy name, or with a truly significant name.

What would you rather have your grandchildren celebrate down the road? Goofy or....?

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I like Wizards, but if we are going to change the name, I vote for waiting until we move into our new stadium ala FC Dallas. I do hope we keep blue as our main color though. Colorado is overhauling their uniforms this season as they open their stadium, so it seems fitting that big changes come in pairs.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    No, no, no. In my experience, many think they are soccer fans, despite never watching it, and probably think themselves more knowledgeable than you based on their heritage alone.

Their soccer fandom consists of rooting for Italy in the World Cup every 4 years, especially over the US, and owning one piece of clothing that says Italia on it so everyone knows they're authentic. 4th, 5th generation - doesn't matter. Nobody has more poseur fans in this country than Italy.

15. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cough* Sara *cough*

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas really had no tradition and for the most part the fans that I saw at the Cotton Bowl no longer attend games up in Frisco.

KC is a totally different story. You guys have actually won something and have had great players (Preki, Meola, etc). What is Dallas biggest claim? That they lost to an A league team in the US Open Cup and that MLS leading goal scorer played for Dallas before he broke the record?

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Dallas Burn won the 1997 US Open Cup.

If we, as the "hard core" fans renege on learning the history and traditions in what little time that MLS has been around, how can we expect the larger public to do so.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    LOL, that's pretty funny.

Disclaimer: Sorry Sara. Don't want to start another "why's Ben picking on the girl" situation. ;)

19. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. I thought they just lost that.

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at what's almost certainly happening in Colorado, it looks like you're right about the name change. Colorado changed their logo... and now are apparently changing their name. Glancing over y'all's boards, I don't see any fresh 'what should our name be' discussions. So I'm going to be annoying and ask a way to common off-season hot-stove question: "What English team should KC co-opt?" (since that's apparently the new MLS trend)

Me, I'm getting sick of it personally. It's starting to look like the only teams that will keep their names are LA, Chicago and Columbus.

So much for tradition.

OK. I'll go away now. Y'all can ignore me.

21. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm holding out for the KC FusionBurnQuakeMutinyMetroRapidClash1856er's

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I had forgotten I had written the post you quoted from me. But I tend to agree that the co-opting of other team names is annoying.

Whether KC changes its name or not in the future I would not be pleased with a Euro name. My opinion maybe skewed by the fact that I am English, but I think most Wizards fans want to either keep the name or change it to something that has a local connection.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I still have no problems with "Kansas City Wizards." I look forward to a new branding when the new stadium comes, but I'm sick of MLS teams renaming and relocating.

24. HoosierSE

HoosierSE New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Indiana
    One thing I like about the Wizards name is the literary/film reference to the Wizard of Oz. That's the unique part about the name, even if its corny.

Any renaming should have some type of meaning.

25. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town
    Uhm... yeah... http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/t105/about/

But I agree, unique and corny works. I mean, just take a look at NCAA mascots.