Wizards Stadium Thread v9.2

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX. He's referencing the fact that PHP is 4011 miles from the population center.

2. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you are joking.

3. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been looking over Google Maps ... and I know I'm wasting my time but ... I'm bored.

- It bet there is enough adjacent land to the Truman Sports Complex to build a SSS in there without having to level anything. The Royals don't draw the Chiefs play on Sunday mostly ...

- Metro North Mall is about dead but even if you choose to not level another mall, there is plenty of land around it. 15 Minutes from downtown down 169. Hell they even have buses running between downtown and the mall.

- Legends. I have no problem with a stadium out here. I live a few minutes from Zona Rosa and it takes almost no time to get to CAB - 25 minutes flies by. Leaning on the existing retail at Legends where folk can eat, drink, shop and get a room ... it seems win win to me. If the Wizards are winning we can fill a 20,000 seat stadium, hell if we can get 10,000 into CAB for yet another post-season game we can probably go over 20k. The bottom line is a winning team is more important than a Wizards theme bar and a Gap Outlet.

- CAB ........ *cry* ......

4. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    This would be my dream location. I'm sure there are thousands of reasons it could never happen, but it would be incredible.

5. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time believing that they're going to turn away from Bannister when they've put as much effort into it as they have so far. Perhaps it takes a bit longer due to the shit hole the economy has been, but until I hear something that says "no more stadium at 3 trails" I'm going to continue to believe in that project.

Call me crazy, I guess.

6. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forty eleven. It means "a whole shitload".

7. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm sure they will wait a reasonable amount of time for the bond revenues to be distributed before looking at other options. Now this all depends on whether OnGoal views the Wizards as a business venture or as an avocation. We all need to pray it's the latter, because business people do not "throw good money after bad". Once a project or an investment has burned through an alarming amount of cash and still looks like seeing it through will be so capital intensive that profitability is in question, a professional will pull the plug. IIRC Robb posted a year ago OnGoal had already spent $70 million out of pocket.

If they have the money, and this is something other than a business venture for them, then it's a different story.

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i specifically remember the terminology of the press conference when they bought the team, and how none of it hinted that it was anything other than a business decision. there was the line about how lamar "convinced" them that soccer was a growing business in this country, and that it could be done with the right situation. there were also those moments where the owners came out and flatly said they know next to nothing about the sport. definitely not a decision out of love of the game/team.

9. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I was talking to a buddy of mine (not a soccer fan, but approves of the 3 Trails project), and he asked, "What about all the government stimulus money that was supposed to fund "shovel ready" projects?"

I didn't know the answer to that, but I can only assume that there is some stipulation that the money is supposed to go to meaningful infrastructure and not frivolous pipe dreams like soccer stadiums.

This project is so much more than just a stadium, though. I admit that I'ma novice here, but couldn't they work out some way to issue bonds funded by that money? That way the taxpayer gets his money back with interest, and south KC gets a much needed shot in the arm.

10. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dream location for me too. I always thought after the Royals decided not to come downtown that the Wizards would be awesome for downtown and the P&L. It makes a lot of sense to put the Wizards downtown, and that is exactly why it wont happen.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This thread depresses me.

12. benkchammers

benkchammers New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't go so far as to say Bannister is dead, BUT the Wizards have been exploring the possibility of building a SSS out at the Legends.

My source will remain anonymous but is 100% credible. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the team officially makes a statement

My money is on a new stadium being built in Wyandotte unless the city of KCMO throws us a bone (or tax money).

13. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing yet another SSS, this time in Sandy, makes me want one here even more. Theres something beautiful about them. Also, if a terrible town like Salt Lake City can host a WCQ, I can promise us doing even better.

14. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, is there a possibility that the stadium will not be built? I've been reading the stadium threads every now and then, but I hadn't checked them for awhile figuring there wouldn't be much to see after finding out they were slowly taking down the buildings that need to be removed. I'm a bit shocked to come back, hoping to see some progress, to find out that the project has pretty much stalled. What happened exactly?

15. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here- read this thread man

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the economy happened.

17. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP...

Well, to put it a bit more charitably, there's no way Tolbert's merry band of misfits could have predicted the economic situation that we're currently in, but I still get so angry at the selfishness of the "community"-oriented thief.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it simply, that is basically the reason. No one is buying the bonds.

19. CTMo

CTMo Member

Jul 7, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that Little Italy? Maybe we could build the little San Siro.

Not that it would happen, but I like the west bottoms idea. A stadium in the middle all those old brick buildings would certainly give off a more authentic soccer vibe. With a stadium similar to Craven Cottage or a non-decrepit Fratton Park.

Actually just build a SSS. Preferably not in the burbs.

20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it - while the park is nice, it's such a great place to put something... more. I think a SSS is a pretty decent fit here, as it couldn't be anything _too_ much larger... I also think an open-air venue is a better use than anything closed up.

But to have a stadium there, with the skyline above... potential for some short distance mass transit to the P&L, Crossroads... it'd be awesome.

Even if it's not a SSS and the Wizards new home, something more should go there... at least that's my opinion.

21. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I am missing something here. I have lived in KC my whole life and never heard of Berkley Riverfront Park. Where is that?

22. CTMo

CTMo Member

Jul 7, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's north of Columbus Park but still south of the river, west of I-35. Close to City Market.

23. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just googled it. I know exactly what you are referring too now. I use to work at Isle of Capri and use to park right there at that park. I just didnt realize that is what it was called. I had never heard it referred to anything before. I have always referred to that entire area as "off of Front St.".

Is there room for a stadium there or are you talking about converting the green space in that park to the stadium?

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  25. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC
    too prone to flooding...