Wizards Catch All Thread v2008.04 [NSR]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by wadejackson1, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wizards had them take it down because they weren't ready for it yet.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If and when it becomes a reality a new thread can be started then.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Went to the Royals game today. Nice day at the park, as long as you set in the shade. 6-1 with Guillen having a heck of a day. And we have a new kind of streak...a 2 game winning streak!!!

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude kathie and i were there too...great pitching by bannister, nice to see byrd but just kept getting drilled all day long

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Ok... i was thinking that police would have been well and truly overwhelmed with 450.

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    That's terrible. A few things here.

First, a ref will always take flak regardless of age...no news there.

Second, parents will never universally be able to see events involving their own children with full impartiality, circumstances are universally unimportant in this regard. With the abundand money and fame that is percieved to be involved and that actually is involved, these things creep in at continually younger ages.

ESPN did a poll recently (sorry, no link) where people by percentage anwered several questions with multiple choices on this issue and others involving referrees at all levels, concentrating on pros. One Q was what was the lowest level of ref you have booed. I'm going on memory here, but the youth level ref was the lowest level presented and about 10%, I think, admitted having done that. Whatever the number was I do remember thinking it was low compared to what I remember.

I sometimes talk about this to people planning college expenses for their kids. Another thing involving money I saw was a report on NCAA scholoarships. Most of the non fully-funded sports (read: "non-revenue") do have scholarships but not full ones. Commonly the pool is divided among the team and again over the 4-5 years of eligibility. The two main things effecting available money are further endowment and graduation of Seniors. Net effect is a partial ride for all but the best of the best. Parents of youth players by and large are not aware of those limitations. They tend to embrace the impression that one ref call will be the difference in 27K/year to Northwestern or shelling out for the local CC or State U. This when the reality is a ride to any school in soccer is much more likely to be signifigantly less than what is on offer [/]academically[/i] to what will always be a wider variety of schools.

Lastly, it might not be a poor idea to urge (or push) her to do another game. It seems she did it originally for a reason. That reason is probably still there.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true, I know that coaches will often times wait to see how a student they're recruiting does academically to see how much money they'll get through that before making any athletic money available. Coaches tell players to take the ACT and try to raise their score one more point to get that extra money, because it means that they won't have to use as much of their scholarship money on that player, because he does enough academically to make it as well.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone ever attended the Roller Derby at Hale Arena?

My wife and I went Saturday Night and it was pretty fun. It would be a lot more fun if you drank before and during but with my wife being pregnant we were obviously sober.

Regardless, I would recommend checking it out sometime for something different.

I know we plan on going back another time.

11. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and that's the major reason I don't do much as far as centering anymore, I got tired of the crap thrown my way because some clumsy kids parent thought their snowflake was being attacked by a youth version of Kovelinko (sp). It's really easy to sit on the sideline and yell at a ref clear across the field, but it's completely different when you are the AR standing right in front of them (being 6'1" and 230# helps keep complaints down as well). I started reffing as a way to give back to the sport I love, but these moron parent, and several coaches as well, just make it a situation I don't need.

Well, unfortunately, the only reason she did it was we pushed her to center. I've done it, her sister has done it, we wanted her to do it as well. So, we push her to step out of her comfort-zone, and she gets beat-down terribly. What are the chances she will step out of her comfort-zone again any time soon. I feel bad for her. She did tell me, right afterwards on the way to the car, that she does still want to AR, just not center for a while (if at all). I can't say that I blame her, until someone can get a handle on the out of control parents.

fyi, good response Dave, thanks.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Royals: The lofty air of a 2-game win streak. Nice.

T-Bones: Opened a gap at the top in first place. Old nemesis Fargo-Moorhead in second. PIT's kids look like kids a bit. Wayne Gretzky's Oilers got run out of the building by the mighty 5 straight Islanders in THe Great One's first trip oh so long ago too.

NHL: Detroit's too good. Pens throwing away Game 1 with pee-wee level mistakes didn't help.

NBA: Lakers/Cetics is a nice touchstone for history's sake. Not sure how entertaining a series it will turn out to be. The hype machine is in full forward mode. Saw a shot on Sportscenter of Kobe prematurely posing for magazine pics with the NBA Championship Trophy. That garbage wouldn't play in football and guys would rather you just shot them than touch the Cup unearned during the playoffs in hockey. They will not even touch the Conference Trophies. The me, me, me individuality of the NBA's overall marketing plan is a legit gripe.

Aussie Rules: Sydney with another 80 point win on strangling defense and accurate shooting. They seem to be better without suspended Hall of Famer Barry Hall. They will have to be from the 5th spot on the laddar. Week 11 of 22 up next. www.afl.com.au.

Olympics: 3-time defending gold medalists USA announced their Women's BB teams with 3 to be named later. They are "Superwomen"...

Usain "Jamacian Lightning" Bolt ran a 7.91 second 100m in New York this weekend that was later determined to be a 7.92. A New World Record! I love the nickname, how could you not? I also love that apparently all the JAM transplants in the NY area turned out to witness it. You would have thought the meet was in Kingston-town, yah mon! Our best guy has some work to do before Bejing. What odds does the board think appropriate on 50% of this board being able to run 50m in 7.92 seconds? I'm pretty sure I can't today.

USA women's pole vaulters are quite nice to watch. Less hug-fest gymnastics and more of this please, NBC.

I'm amazed at how guys can run 110m through or over 10 hurdles that come easily to above your waste in just 13 seconds. How do they do that?!?

Chiefs: All my uncles couldn't be more thrilled that Minny signed Allen. They are already talking about being NFC Norris Division Champs. Detroit sucks and somehow Millen still has a job, Bears have lockerroom issues, and no Farve in cheeseland. {Sound the Viking horn} They think they are golden at this point. It's a big-time deal, eh. Can we trade King Karl to them also?

Golf: I played Adam's Point (Blue Springs) yesterday. 112 strokes and a dozen balls later I remembered clearly why I stopped playing golf. 2 accidentally straight great shots for a legit birdie on the Par 4 16 was the lone highlight. My friend made me make the 18" putt for the bird. Good track. If you must golf, GPS carts are outstanding. BTW.

The winner on the PGA Tour's first comment last week? "First I'd like to thank Tiger for not being here." Funny.

Fact: The IRA individual contribution limit for 2008 is $5,000. $425/mo. Do it if you can. Find a way. At 30 $425. mo at 8% is $930,000 at age 65. That's an income then of $74,000 before you get out of bed!

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From one of your earlier posts: Kimbo Slice. I checked out some videos of him on youtube, wow. What a huge scary man. He ended up defeating James "The Colossus" Thompson on 5/31 to go 3-0 in the MMA. Seems like a lot of people say he's way overrated and as soon as he plays some real top tier fighters he's going to get destroyed.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the new PASL has decided to add a "Pro" arm to it's amateur league. I don't know what all that entails but I'm sure a few of the MISL people might jump in at the thought of a fresh directional approach.

18. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting conversation on the street just now:

I walked from my office (10th & Wyandotte) over to CVS (9th & Main) to grab a snack. On the way back, I passed a guy having a smoke outside one of the lofts across the street from the main Library. He was wearing a new Navy Blue Beckham jersey. I commented to him about wearing an MLS but that he needed to be wearing a Wizards jersey, since he was in Kansas City. He said he purchased it over at CBE (College Basketball Experience) at the Sprint Center, and they only had Beckham jerseys, nothing for Wizards.

Ahhh, gotta love a city that supports its home-town teams!!!

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well isn't the Sprint Center run by AEG, the owners of the Galaxy???

20. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the Adidas store in Legends yesterday and the only MLS gear I found was Rapids stuff. Not one Wizards thing in the store that I found.

21. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, yes...

22. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rice dominates Texas to move on to regionals despite giving up 5 errors to the whorns. 2 wins from Omaha.:D

Mizzou had a good run going until Ole Miss hits a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th to eliminate the Tigers. Nebraska falls flat on their face at home and doesn't make it through regionals again, this time to Oral Roberts. A&M gets taken to a game seven by Houston, winner comes to Houston to face Rice at our own Reckling Park. And Wichita State makes it out of the difficult Okie State regional with a grand slam in the top of the 10th against the Cowboys.

23. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Target had soccer balls with DC, Chicago, and Chivas logos only.....:rolleyes:

24. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've had Wizards stuff there before, FC Dallas as well. I think that store is really more of an outlet so it's the regional stuff that isn't selling or is overstock that shows up there. Depends on what the surplus is at the moment.

25. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that hockey game was awesome. End to end for long stretches and then 3 ot's. What a game. Hopefully game 6 is just as good.

The 2 goalie interference calls on Detroit were both horrible calls though, how do you make that call in ot? Especially the second one, the refs almost blew it big time luckily noone scored during those power plays.