With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching? [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of my favorite pro teams: with the San Jose Earthquakes' season just over, the San Francisco Giants' season long over, the San Jose Sharks still not playing and the San Francisco 49ers hardly playing, my last hope for some enjoyable sports-spectating the next few months appears to be the Golden State Warriors. :eek:

How about you? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching?

Arsenal is pretty much it until spring training.

As for MLS, I am fond of the Crew, but they are gone too. So it's now "Anybody But The Galaxy".

3. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: With the Earthquakes' season over, which teams/sports are you currently watching?

Isn't there a roller derby in San Jose in a couple of weeks? :D

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woo hoo! It's football weather all the time here! I'm a 49ers fan. Can't stand the Raiders! But I'm also fond of the Seahawks cuz I love their city.

I also love college football. I haven't developed a favorite yet. I grew up liking USC. I like Stanford. I like University of Oregon over Oregon State, but I still like the Beavers. I like University of Washington and Washington State. I can't pick a favorite!!! I love college football. I'm leaning toward being a HUGE duck fan though....

5. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

The Sacramento Kings, who have started not so hot.

Manchester United, who have started not so hot.

The Niners, who have started not so hot.

Professional bicycling. Tyler Hamilton is my favorite rider. Oh wait, he has a positive blood doping test...

Common theme anyone? It's been a brutal couple of months and doesn't look that rosy going forward...

p.s. Anyone else into cycling? It's like I live in the wrong country.

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh my goodness! Then there's basketball! I like the Kings. I really want to like the Trailblazers. But for now they're nothing more to me than Jailblazers. How sad. I finally live in a city with an NBA team, and I can't get behind them.

I love college basketball too. My teams here are pretty much the same as for football, except not USC. So I like Stanford and then the Oregon and Washington teams.

Oh my gosh! I love sports! It's always sports season!

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course, regardless of the sport, I could also turn to my alma mater - San Jose State University (GO SPARTANS!!!)... except that most of its sports teams haven't been doing so hot lately either. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I stopped watching pointy ball when Montana quit. (the last player who actually got paid for thinking on his own)

I stopped watching Baseball when I moved out of Missouri (the Royals were my favorite)

I stopped watching Hockey when I left Missouri (I hung out with people from St. Louis while at college in Rolla, Mo. and became a Blues fan)

I never watched Basketball (it is just to damn easy to score or call a timeout and you shouldn't be allowed to put your hand inside the rim)

Before the Quakes it was the RAI game every Sunday on Channel 26 (found out about Ceasars down near Fisherman's Warf during the 15 min of adds during half time)

So now its just my 6 yr old doing Winter Warriers with Kids Love Soccer :)

9. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

International football...UEFA Cup right now. (C'mon Celtic!!!)

EPL.

Some pointyball (casually following)

As off seasons go, this should prove to be one of the most interesting where our Quakes are concerned. Usually, it's just a matter of counting days until the opener, wondering if we'll draft/trade for anyone interesting and trying to endure the "where will Landon go?" nonsense. This year...

...where WILL Landon be?

...where will the Quakes be?

...will we get an owner?

...will we get a stadium in the works?

...who will we lose to expansion?

...will we retain DeRo, Ramiro and Craig?

...what will happen with Dom?

...what is our schedule for next year?

In the past, we've known the answers to the few questions we've had usually by Christmas. I have a feeling this off season, we'll be getting answers to most of these questions the entire time until next Opening Day.

Oh, well...at least it won't be a boring off season.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara

I've followed Le Tour since BEFORE Greg Lemond even entered! The first bike race I saw was a 17 year old Lemond KICK ASS as a junior rider in the seniors race at Nevada City Criterium. He lapped the entire field twice. Easily the most awesome athletic feat I've witnessed first hand.

Hamilton had my vote for gutsiest ride ever after hauling up the pyrenees with a freaking broken collar bone. But the blood doping is devastating. I can't support anyone who uses performance enhancing drugs.

Guys - I keep saying - support your local college soccer teams. Men's and Women's at SCU are top 10. Stanford has good teams both genders. SCU and Stanford regularly have teams challenging for the national titles. USF and Cal have great men's teams this year also. I don't know how Cal women are doing but they are usually competitive. Sorry to say SJState teams aren't doing so hot this season - but they still deserve your support!

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A bike enthusist friend of mine once explained blood doping to me as taking out a pint or two of your own blood, working out for a month or so and then reinfusing yourself with the blood taken out.

How does this involve drugs, or am I thinking of something else here :confused:

12. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Well, the girls down at Mitchell Brothers are pretty damned professional, and I'm a big fan of their sport :mad:)

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

S! (clap clap clap)
    J! (clap clap clap)
    S! (clap clap clap)
    U! (clap clap clap)

S! (clap) J! (clap) S! (clap) U! (clap)

SJSU! San Jose State!

Please come out and see ol' Spartacus...it's getting mighty lonely at the Stadium and The Events Center...don't make me beg.

14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

You can all come and watch me play soccer on Sundays. I wouldn't call it entertaining, however, unless you like humor.

15. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose

Liverpool!!!

16. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004

The EPL---Newcastle, maybe Arsenal (the husband's team since he was 7). I'd like to see PSV (Dutch League) and see DaMarcus....

Anyone knows why they're benching Keller and Howard? I mean, this might be Keller's last year in the EPL but Howard?

17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Still refereeing the BU8s and coaching the BU19s. (I am begging the weather gods for dry skies so that we can end the season on schedule.) Then I am helping with elementary school basketball. Plus I get to watch my 7-year-old at karate and swim lessons every week. The fun never ends around here!

18. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever's on FSW. EPL, Bundesliga, Argentine & Brazilian... as long as the football is round, I will watch it.

Pointyball, baseball, basketball, hockey = YAWN.

19. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No hockey... :(

Lucky to catch Champions League action, or anything on Fox Sports World.

Though, my interest in the NFL has been revived for some peculiar reason...

20. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm opining here... he had a bad game and commited a last minute gaffe in a Champions League match... it's the Brad Friedel syndrome, you have a bad game in a big game and suck, you go to the bench, and the British press will never let you hear the end of it...

playing goalie for Man U or Liverpool is like being the drummer for Spinal Tap, they get rotated around every so often...

cheers!

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I now watch my Dallas Cowboys - because I love Bill Parcells. (49ers used to be my favorite team, but when they traded Joe Montana, that was it for me. I left and never looked back. I loved Joe Montana.)

I also watch every soccer game on FSW - but don't really cheer for any team in particular.

And then of course my daugher's soccer team. They rock!

22. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hartlepool United FC, West Hartlepool RFC and in the US The New York Giants.

Not really into a particular college team as I didn't go to school over here and have not lived in one place long enough to get attached to any. I am hoping to go to the Womans NCAA finals which take place in Cary, NC though.

I used to like the NBA, but have got sick of it. Still look for the Rockets results.

-Richard

23. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woohooo! Another Cowboys fan!

24. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

There goes your rep....

25. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

Howard had three clankers, so he was sent to the end of the bench. His replacement has done well, so now Howard only gets midweek League Cup matches. He'll be back though.

As for Kasey Keller, Spurs brought in Paul Robinson, the best young English keeper, in the offseason, and was sent to the bench. Robinson and Keller are not that far apart, Robinson's English, and Robinson's at least 8 years younger than Keller. Hopefully, Keller will be sold to a side where he has a chance to play.