With teams like Spurs & LeArse- No wonder London rioted: OTT 19 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by idreamofpikas, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Somebody rep this man :p

Do you get any more points for winning by 6 goals instead of 2? We won for the first time ever at the Emirates, I'd say that is reason enough to be happy for the result. If you want something else to be cheerful for look at how Kenny made a 10 man team pay. I haven't seen us exploit a man advantage like that for a long time. And to go even further we are a point up already over last seasons games with Arsenal with them still to come to Anfield.

2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Re: The thread about Bottlers: OTT 18 [R]

Let's just take care of our own results and the table will take care of itself.

Meanwhile LOL at Arsenal and Spurs! What big club ships 8 goals? What big club ships 5 goals at home? Embarrassment to their fans.

Van Persie! How is that Captaincy going? LOL

Things are so bad at Arsenal that Everton fans are thinking their own side is better than Arsenal now! 115 years since Arsenal shipped 8 goals in a League match! 4 Red Cards in first 3 league games. Surely that means this Arsenal side are the dirtiest team in English top flight history!

Amusing to think how Arsenal fans were mocking LFC for overspending on reinforcements this summer. I think we can clearly see the consequences of underspending in the transfer window. Arsenal fans usually boast about Wenger's low net spend. I doubt they will be boasting about that tonight.

Wenger is a great manager but they have completely mishandled this transfer window. They have got rid of 4 first team players and brought in zero players with Prem experience. They have brought in a teenage rookie new to the Top Flight in AOC, a rookie new to English football in Ryo, a rookie new to the Football League with a whopping 8 games above Conference level in Jenkinson, a rookie who has played in a whopping 8 club games and has now been denied a work permit in Campbell and now another rookie who has been begging all summer to join LFC in Park and who played in a French team that got relegated last season. And he maintains he will only buy players of 'super quality'! He passed up on Coates and Enrique for some unknown reason. Madness but we will benefit.

He has a few days to bring in some more recruits but he needs to act. The fans are at breaking point with him. If the fans turn against him, then he has to go. Arsenal fans cannot even brag about playing 'beautiful football' anymore. The Arsenal team is not competitive currently, never mind not winning trophies. Does anyone at this point expect Van Persie to sign a new contract this season?

Arsenal, great club. Terrible team currently. 2 wins in 14 Prem matches = relegation form. Wenger might keep banging on about how 'mentally strong' his team are but that sounds very hollow currently.

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Arsenal had their only 2 decent defenders left in Vermaelen and Sagna available against us. They also had Nasri. The Mancs faced a much weaker side than even the pitiful team we faced. They were also the Home side. Credit to the Mancs - scoring 8 against a terrible team is not something you can manage every time.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Be careful what you wish for-- remember Hodgson?

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I was kidding about not being happy about beating L'Arse. Mostly.

I'm always happy when LFC wins. I'm happy if we beat a non-league side. I'm happy if we beat a bunch of one-legged kids from an orphanage. But mostly, I'm happy that we beat Arsenal at the Emirates without playing to our maximum potential.

6. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

What do you mean wish for? I am not saying Wenger should go or that I desire this to happen. I am simply saying if the fans want him gone then the Board will feel under massive pressure to axe him. At ArsenalMania - a leading Arsenal Forum a poll had a slight majority of voters in favour of sacking Wenger - and this was BEFORE the 8-2 loss! What Wenger does in the next few days of the transfer window will either help restore their fans faith or increase the disillusionment.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'd say they're barking up the wrong tree, though. Arsenal's austerity has as much to do with Stan Kroenke's control of the purse strings as it does with Wenger's transfer policy.

And while we were lucky to have a unifying figure like Kenny, who does Arsenal have? Liam Brady? George O'Leary?

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Sure we're only 3 games in, but it still looks funny to see the table with Arse & Spurs at the bottom. :D

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm in...

...like a chip shot over Szczesny.

10. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And it beats the bejesus out of last year when LFC was 13th with a -2 goal differential after 3 games. We may not make a serious run at the title this year, but I feel good about the stated goal of qualifying for the CL next year.

11. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why did I have a modicum of faith in Torres and put him in my fantasy team over Rooney?

Why oh why oh why oh why

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    This Arsenal side is so weak at defence, I expect even Torres (Chelsea version) fancies his chances at scoring against them. :D

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Juan Mata has as many Chelsea goals in 22 minutes as Torres does in 22 matches! :D

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I meant Arsenal fans.

16. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto

Becouse picking mancs is bad. and picking bluenose scouser mancs without hair and being happy when they score goals is very, very bad.

actually come to think of it picking torres is bad too.

Bad Kawklee. Bad.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    didn't get to see either match (damn hurricane), but the results are almost comical.

18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I hear an echo here..:)

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some cracking football in Barcelona-- playing with thee at the back, none of who are natural centre-halves-- as the usual suspects, and a couple of new ones continue from whence they left.

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for about 10 minutes to start Villareal actually looked like they were going to put up a fight - then after the first goal it all went to hell (they did have a goal waved off that would have made it 1-1 due to supposed offsides).

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Amazing isn't it? Very audacious. Pep seems to be planning for Barca without Xavi, think we'll see a lot of rotation this year and the 3-4-3 as a Plan B. Fascinating stuff.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not only Xavi but Villa, too.

The main thing about this Barcelona squad is that the core is "home-grown" and schooled in the team's playing style. They have then made additions here and there to reinforce the quality.

I see the makings of a similar philosophy being established at Melwood.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well if we can do anything remotely close to what Barca have done or are doing then I would be beyond excited!

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, despite all the hyper-ventilating over Fergie's youngsters, Dalglish has in fact led the way since he came in. It was his bold selection of players such as Robinson, Kelly, Spearing and Shelvey which led so much to performances that lifted the pall of despair hanging over the club.

I watch many youth and reserve team matches, and you can see that we're mostly being set up to play a 4-2-3-1 or variant thereof. And that the front four, especially, are interchangeable. We also close down the ball higher up the pitch. Oh, and we pas and move from trouble. Not yet there, but the makings of a philosophy.