Wishy-washy Liberals set to tear Church of England in two.

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by JumpinJackFlash, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    If the Liberals destroy the Church of England as they look set to with the "women bishops" thing, just as the segregational multiculturalists have caused rot in the secular parts of society.. I'm curious as to what the High Church Anglo-Catholics who are threatening to leave will actually do?

Rejoin Rome? create a new form of Protestantism which is indepedent of the Church of Liberalis.. England? Where would this place the Church of England in terms of a being regarded as a "British institution"... surely it puts the politically Conservative Anglicans in a very strange position. It puts a country which is tiring of the left in a strange position also.

Who knew such a seeminly minute minority like feminists could actually cause such anarchy? :rolleyes: Trust the libs to pull this stunt just as Europe is standing in a world where Islam is radicalising.. and rapidly growing.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4245539.ece
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2262012/Church-of-England-to-debate-women-bishops.html
    http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=28491

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A minute minority is 10% of priests, 40% of whom are already retired. Something tells me that the Church of England will survive this catastrophe.

Why can't women be bishops anyway?

3. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    You're ignoring the entire laity and their stances on the issue; "traditionalists" make up at least half and at most 2/3rds of the Church of England's membership. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7481349.stm Its 10% of the CLERGY, the people who essentially have a job on the line, that the statistic in the reports references. Who do you suppose the clergy that stays will be preaching their Liberalism to?

By bowing down to non permanent, and of the moment trends such as liberalism at the cost of the doctrine, the Church of England has essentially ostracized at least 13 million of its own members. When the trend has passed how are they expected to win back the trust and support of these millions of people?

I take it you've never heard of the Apostles.

4. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I've never, ever heard of the Apostles. Are they a band?

5. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Cool ranch or Nacho cheese?

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I see. The preferences of the laity should determine the direction the church takes. So if a poll indicates that 52% of the laity believe that sex before marriage is not a sin, the church shold follow their lead and excise that one from the sin catalogue. I didn't realize the Church of England was a representative democracy.

If you want serious discussion, you have to bring it.

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Demosthenes, you are arguing with perhaps the most vacuous poster around. Remember what Mark Twain is purported to have said about arguing with a fool.

8. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    You're certainly right. The definition of religion isn't a "democracy". Since the sacred scripture is the word of God himself. Should institutions which claim to be Christian ignore the sacred scripture, which makes up the doctrines of the religion in the first place to "fit" of the moment trends like Liberalism, then it ceases to be "Christianity".

And thus the reason why there are many, many traditionalists within the organisation in the first place and why the largest portion of the people who make up the Church of England look set to leave it due to the organisation adopting non-Christian beliefs to appease feminists and homosexuals.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That it's fun for shits and giggles now and then, right?

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem is that you are conflating two separate ideas. The Word of God is not the same thing as tradition - one is spelled out in scripture, and one is just what people have been doing for a long time. It is possible to break with tradition and still be right with the Word of God. We live in different times than when the Church of England was founded, or when Jesus was supposedly alive.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Exactly, but he didn't say 'giggles'. ;)

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The OP is ignoring the fact that no one in the UK, apart from in Northern Ireland of course yet they seem to be getting bored of late, really cares about religion.

It's about time that the church dragged itself into the 20th century before tackling anything the 21st century can throw at it. Most of the people who even care about this are old and right wing so hopefully they'll be dead soon.

13. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    I live in England and I can say 95% of people here dont give a shit what happens to the Church of England. It is a decrepid old vacuous institution long devoid of any meaning to most British people. There only use to most people is to do Weddings.

Splitting over the ordination of Women Bishops will simply make the Church even more irrelevent to the 21st century. I mean good god, stopping women becoming Bishops because they are women? do they expect anyone to take them seriously? to most it is nothing more than sexist bigotry.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the leftist progressive stance wishing death upon others! Bravo Toon! You did not disappoint!

Progressives within the Church of England and their abhorrent decision to support the ordination of women bishops are now ripping the Church apart; the same Anglican Church already scarred with schism wounds over the equally abhorrent recognition of homosexual clergy. It is, however, good to hear that traditionalists within the Church of England are fighting such secular progressivism tooth and nail; bravo to them. Better still, I hear that this issue is so tumultuous for the Church of England and Anglican traditionalists that it may cause defections to Rome! Excellent! The Vatican knows how to handle the wayward progressive women... So with the likely defections there may be some good in all this...

15. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Britain is still a majority Christian country, around 71.6% give enough of a shit to be openly Christian. Only 15% actually full on admit to having no religion in official surverys.

What happens to the Church of England is important from a cultural perspective because it alters the entire concept of what "English" allegedly is. If England is suddenly majority Catholic over night, including the conservative institution, while the Queen is left as head of a crumbling organisation made up of a rabble of anything goes Feminists and Homosexuals, then that is huge culturally.

After all it is the conservatives who are most adamant about keeping this country a monarchy, if it was up to the liberals it would probably be a republic, under the leadership of Dale Winton with Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" as national anthem. So I can't imagine she'd want to stay as head of "that". Also it would completely alter cultural comparisons in the region with Ireland as "England" would suddenly be closer to them religiously than "Scotland".

The reason for the Anglo-Catholics and Atho-Libs split within the Church of England is not a matter of "bigotry against women" at all, if anything it is bigotry on the part of the liberals who are trying to "secularise" Christianity. Are football, boxing and rugby "bigots" sports just because women and men don't play in the same matches and there isn't even such a thing as a females managing men in them?

Personally as a "Roman" Catholic with British citizenship, I'd obviously like it to return to Catholicism, but this way is just a complete mess fracturing Christianity into an even more complicated situation on this island.

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    More strawmen, hypothetical musings and the stultifyingly numbing ramblings of vacuity.

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I am neither left wing or right wing. My views are vaired on different subjects, on some you could call me liberal and on some you could call me conservative. Not that my political leanings have anything to do with this as nearly all conservative politicians openly support this move by the church because if they didn't it would be considered political suicide to be seen as supporting this represet instituion who condons excluding women and homosexuals purely for who they are and their sexual preferance.

The sections within the church who hold such blinkered views are so out of touch with the reality of the modern Britain its unreal. Your talking about a country where women and homosexuals are full integrated into society at every level imaginable. They are present in education, industy, politics and the military. All areas traditionally male dominated areas, yet women and homosexuals now have considerable influence in all these areas.

This might have been an issue 40 years ago but I'm so very glad to say that we have moved on as a nation and this move by the Church is clearly the correct one if it wishes to be an infulence on the younger generation.

18. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    71% might say on some surveys they are Christian but most of them dont go to Church and have very basic knowledge of Christianity, being Christian is more a general form of identity than a disciple of the Christian faith. Alot of them have probably done drugs, had sex outside of marriage and break the sabbath regually without a second thought. I know I do. :D

There are clear logical and rational reasons for Sports to be gender based, pertaining to clear physiological differences, what are the clear reasons to stop Women becoming bishops? proper reasons not 'because god said so' bollocks. What is inherently inferior about Women that prevents them becoming Bishops? I would not be suprised if it is the same old patriarchal and mysogynist attitudes that stopped Women having the vote and holding positions of authority for so long. As a previous poster said, women are fully integrated into all areas of society, preventing them from becoming Bishops simply demonstrates how out of touch and obsolete Christianity is, although most British people have come to that conclusion already.

19. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    It seems like a double standard to claim that. How is that not a prejudice statement against women's capabilities? If a religion suggested what you've just said in regards to sports, the liberal mafia would be out with little banners proclaiming that Christianity is a doctrine of hatred. A woman could, conceivably become a football manager for a male football team. Though in the modern day fans would surely greet it with a sexist reaction. But absoutely nobody is up in arms because Sir Alex Ferguson isn't female or because Fabio Capello isn't a homosexual. Keep in mind the exemption of women from male sports is based on an assertion that women are inferior and "couldn't handle it".

And yes, the reason that just men are bishops in Orthodox, Catholic and until now Anglican strains of Christianity is in recoginition of the fact that God (Christ) specifically chose only male Apostles. Lets not overlook the fact that its not only men who oppose women becoming bishops, there are millions of female Anglicans who oppose it too and will be leaving because of it, since its an issue of scripture not anti-women. If Christianity was as "bigoted" as some secularists claim then there would be NO female saints and how can the importance and the respect given to the Virgin Mary be ignored? It could be argued that liberalism is anti-woman, because it promotes militant homosexuality as unabashed heterosexually is begining to become politically incorrect.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    That is a rubbish analogy as there are no women or homosexuals attempting to become the England manager, nor are there other managers or fans calling for a woman or homosexual to be manager.

Prove it

21. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nope. The Social Trends survey carried out by the National Office of Statistic found that in 2006 found that 45.8% of the population had no religion, 22.2% were COE/Anglican, 9.6% Christian (no denom) and 9% Roman Catholic.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_social/Social_Trends38/Social_Trends_38.pdf

Page 189

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You'll find that the way with pretty much all his analogies. All strawmen and incredibly stupid caricatures. No pith or substance. Unnamed atheists, liberals, students, Marxists, feminists and so on. Never grounded in reality.

(Recently in another lunatic post he seriously posited that as atheists hate religion (Christians specifically) that to be true to their cause, no atheist should ever use anything ever invented by a Christian. Yeah, seriously.)

23. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I think Sam wants my attention, but hes too boring and isn't really entering the subject at hand so I'll leave him to continue licking the window.

Incorrect. Using one case to exemplify that women want to but are discriminated against. Maribel Domiguez a highly skilled Mexican footballer wanted to play for a men's club in Mexico. But FIFA, the world governing body and official deciders of the games stances, who by the way are not tied by any holy doctrine, dictated that she couldn't based on the fact that she was born with a vagina. They then proceded to ban all women from participating in anything other than segregated sex leagues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4110845.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/americas/4110027.stm
    http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-8-2005-63906.asp

I thought secularist stood for liberty and equality? Or is it only when it suits the secularist. For example, according to those who do not have any passion for religion, Christians MUST go against their scripture and have gay and female Bishops. While elements of secular life, not bound by any sort of sacred scripture such as sports, can freely pick and choose when they want to give equality to the sexes or even on the basis of sexuality.

Hypocrite is the word. You want women to be equal, as long as its not in the things which you personally have an interest in and want to uphold the traditional stances of.

You don't believe that of the 14 million traditionalists in the Church of England that some are female? Well I can think of one example for a start; the Community of St. Mary the Virgin. An all female Anglo-Catholic organisation relating to the CoE.

Nope. The official and most authorative statistics from the latest, all inclusive Census of the United Kingdom's entire population, provided the following results on the subject of religion.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=8301

Christian: 71.75%
    No Religion: 14.81%

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You know I must have missed the news that those 100 million Mexican catholics suddenly turned Anglican and when Mexico join the United Kingdom because thats what would be needed for that to make any sense at all. Oh and add to the this that a woman wanting to play for a male football club has absolutly ******** all to do with this current situation and I'll be happy to mail you your 'Worst Analogy Ever' award.

I don't deny that some of the people opposed to the change are women but your claim of "there are millions of female Anglicans who oppose it too and will be leaving because of it" has yet to be proven.

The last census was taken in 2001, the survey I quote was published this year by the same government office. I wonder which is more accurate?

25. JumpinJackFlash

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    You do realise, FIFA, not Mexico decides don't you? And you do realise the United Kingdom is too covered by FIFA's same segregational, sexist, unequal rules which you apparently have no problem at all with? This coverage includes the team which you personally support. Despite holding a view that religious institutions should secularise and conform to liberalism, so not to offend some feminists.

I proved earlier that at least half of the Church of England's members are traditionalist Anglo-Catholics. Out of 14 million people I have a hard time believing that these are all guys and that females do not account for at least 1/14th of that. Especially as Church is very community and family orientated where families, husband and wife attend the same services. Note that Anglo-Catholics are more likely to attend High Church services with priests belonging to the SSC society than Low Church services.

The link which you provided is a mere survery from 2006 and not a genuine all inclusive Census. Neither you, nor I or anybody you or I know took part in the survey. But we were all asked for the 2001 Census and we'll all be asked for the next one in 2011 (I believe it is then). Thus based on the fact that it covers everybody, the Census is the most reliable. Though it will be interesting to see how the mass immigration of the strongly Christian Polish will effect the stats.