Winter transfer window

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by krazbo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    yeah, the weather was bad that day, rainy i recall.

2. schierding

schierding New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Maybe it was a bit harsh calling him awful, but he does look like he has been on the down slope for the last year or so. But this is not about being greedy, this is about the natural substitution you gotta have in your team as the players get older. This is best done gradually which is why I would prefer to see one of the two leave this summer (preferably Gio), eventhough they both still have the level to play for Barca. This way a new left back wouldn't necessarily have to be a starter when he arrives, but could instead be introduced slowly to the team and the way we play.

And as people have already mentioned, Oleguer has improved dramatically (and quite unexpectedly in my book, if you look at his level a couple of seasons ago), so in no way should we get rid of him. Besides, if anybody 'bleeds' blaugrana, it has to be him, and these kind of players are very important to have in your team.

3. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    True i can see your point, i think Gio hasn`t been at his very best this season and we expect him to work harder. Good that Sylvinho is there to push him to the limit. So far i`m impressed by Sylvinho`s performances and work ethic and i hope we can keep him for another 2 seasons to come. If he is 31 then as a defender he still has a lot left in him, same as Gio. However i do see the direction of your ideas that we need to bring in a new preferably young left full back to learn from the two experienced pair we currently have and gradually take over when they leave. This will prevent us from being caught off guard when the time comes for the current pair to leave.

4. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I ragged Oleguer last season, I have to admit he's been adequate both on the right and in the center this year. He's an excellent player to have in the side, because he can back up at two positions and as someone said, he bleeds the colors.

That said, I don't think he should be penciled in as a regular starter. I think we can do better on the right side, and in the center we have Rafa. If we bring in a right fullback either now or in the summer, it opens up Oleguer to be the first substitute in the center and provide some cover for our thin back line.

I would like to see another centerback as well, but if we're trying to be cheap, right fullback is still our weakest position IMO, especially with Sylvinho stepping it up on the left. Unfortunately, it is also probably the weakest position in the world at the moment.

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember (2nd goal maybe) he had the ball in center mid and was the midfielder farthest from the goal. He went to make a little turn and tripped on the ball or something. Many people did fall that night, but iirc, he held the ball too long anyway. Whatever though, it is rare from him. Unfortunate that it happened when and how it did.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for LB's, Ajax's Maxwell will be leaving on a free this Summer. He is an attacking wing-back. He is not a speedster, nor the greatest defender, but has very good technique. He is good enough with the ball to play in the midfield for most teams. He also is trying to get a Dutch passport right now, so he would not count as non-eu. I think he would be a pretty great pickup due to his lack of transfer fee, skill, and age.

7. gio15

gio15 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    lincoln england
    i have 2 players who could fit in at CB and dont laugh? Alain Goma form fulham he's haveing a good season so far at 33 he would not cost alot and can play CL.he's good in the air and reads the game well.Sylvain Distin at 28 and 6foot4 he's good in the air but for a big man very fast on the ground,man city are offering him a new deal so the time could be right 4 a move?we dont need world class as cover you need players who are not going 2 let the side down and i think these 2 wont :)

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good thinking. I'm not too high on Distin, but Goma is exactly the type of cover Barca should find - solid, experienced, doesn't make mistakes. He'd be perfect for games against the Alaves' and Malagas of the world, and would be great to give Puyol a night off every now and again.

Another player to consider is Bolton's Ivan Campo. He's played both d-mid and central defense, has played in Spain, and is out of contract this summer. He's a little more adventurous than I'd like, but would be adequate cover for most games.

Asta - Maxwell is a name to consider at left back, but I don't think he's quite at Evra's level. Though if he's like van Bommel and wants to come to the Nou Camp for free, by all means sign him up!

9. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You're joking right? Did you ever see him play for Real? He makes Pavon look like Puyol...

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO he always struggled against the top teams, but was adequate against the minnows. That's certainly been his MO at Bolton, as well.

11. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    I actually used to rate him highly when he was still with Real Madrid together with the likes of Hierro and Karanka. He however was used as a central defender at the bernabue while with Bolton he is more of a defensive midfielder.

He might head to Mallorca, i don`t think we can really have much interest in him. Distin at Man city is not that good, i don`t even rate Goma that much. i think we will go with the group we have and may be add a central defender since Rafa can also play in midfield.

12. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Damia onloan to Santander for the rest of the season.....

club excert:
    "This Tuesday also saw the presentation of Damià Abella for his new club Racing de Santander. The Barca youngster has been loaned out by the club and today he enjoyed his first training session with his new teammates, wearing his number 2 shirt."

IMO, this is a good move for Damia, he is a player of quality and young but needs to play at a higher level than Barca B and cannot break into our first team. This move is surprising yet understood. Damia needs to develop to get better and wont do so during training session.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I remember hearing about the loan deal.

I really hope to see him back at Barça, but for some reason, I doubt he'll be back.

As for the rest of this page, no Campo please.

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see that he got the #2. To me, that means they intend to play him. I hope he comes back, but who was the last loanee to come back? =/

15. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Good for Damia, i really hope we bring him back and i`m sure he will play first team football.

I don`t recall some of the players we brought back from loan spells, i think Garcia not the one currenly playing for Liverpool. I recall he was an attacking midfielder and loaned to either Athletico Madrid or Bilbao and we brought him back after like 2 seasons. That was way back during the late 90s.

Not many loaned players have been brought back and i hope Damia breaks that jinx.

What do you guys think of Juve`s french international, Jonathan Zebina. He seems destined to quit Turin. Personally i wouldn`t mind bringing him to add depth to the defence plus he is only 27.

Andrade wants to leave Depor, what a buy that would be if we can get him in the january window as he can play in the CL.

16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It would be an amazing buy, but it will be better to wait till summer. We shouldn't buy him in the january window because he couldn't play in La Liga(he's played in more than 5 liga games with Deportivo), only in the Champions League. I don't know if he could play Copa del Rey though...

17. Ublydok

Ublydok New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    browsing bigsoccer
    Looks like Evra is going to ManU for £5 million. That's a shame, I think his style would suit us. Sylvinho is playing well but he is getting old. And somehow I don't feel safe whenever Gio is playing. Btw why ManU is buying another left-back, is Heinze injured or something?

18. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    He's out for the season. Messed up his knee during a CL match (I think) some time ago.

19. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heinze is injured and can play Centreback as well.

I'm satisfied with our left-backs in the short term, but this WILL be an issue in the near future. Gio and Sylvinho only have but a few years left. By the time Dos Santos is ready to make the first team, Gio/Sylvinho will be on their last legs.

DO we still own Fernando Navarro or have we sold him altogether?

20. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Got you, you just reminded me of that five game league game rule. So far it is all quiet as regards transfers with us.

21. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we're buying anyone, based on the injury plagued season last year a few players are finally getting to show themselves. Left-back probably won't be dealt with till 2007.

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's starting to look that way, which is fine - though I still think Barca need depth in central defense. If either Puyol or Marquez goes down for an extended time the back will be paper thin even if Rodri is ready for the big-time.

On that note I'm actually surprised and a little disappointed that Rodri didn't get time in the Copa del Rey. Perhaps in the return leg.

23. NiMjAY

NiMjAY New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Iran, Tehran
    I think Barca should be looking for an experienced goal keeper, altough Valdez is very talented. This could help the defensive line getting better.
    Barca should be looking for goalis like Shay Given, Toldo etc.
    I also think a new left back would be good for the team. Sylvinho is getting old and Gio isnt good enough.

But thats just my opinion.

24. Godinho10

Godinho10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Lets get some brazilian LB and CB i mean look at madrid they got cicinho for 2.5 mill and hes considered 1 of the best RB in Brazil..2.5 mil? Geez..

25. Ublydok

Ublydok New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    browsing bigsoccer
    Fixed.