Winter transfer window

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by krazbo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    I`m still worried about Oleguer at central defence especially if he comes up against sharper front runners. I know Edmilson played central defence most of his career at Lyon but he has looked shacky when ever he has deputised there. This is what i think we should do, bring in either a player like Chivu and shift Puyol to his former right full back position and then partner Chivu with Rafa. or bring in Kompany to come and learn and wait for his turn as a back-up.

3. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    No more from tribal football. very unreliable.

4. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Question,
    I like the idea of Chivu and he has been a rumor since summer. I don't necessarily believe it, but if he were to bought, is he or is he not cup tied? He hasn't played in CL, but Roma is in the UEFA Cup. I don't know the rule on this. Thanks

5. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He is non-EU

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think we need fullbacks MUCH more than we need centerbacks.

I can't understand why people are so focussed on replacing Marquez. The Puyol-Marquez partnership is NOT a weakness. Are there better centerbacks in the world? Yes. Do we need them? No.

We have a great pair already. What we don't have are world class fullbacks. That is an actual weakness. I think we should focus on our weaknesses before we try and replace quality players. That's just my opinion of course.

With that in mind, I'd still be in favor of us making a move for Kompany. He is a very good, very young player who would have to fight for his position here. Also, like Marquez, he is a defender that can also play in midfield. If necessary, we could start both and our team would still be improved.

7. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but we do need some cover for Marquez and Puyol. I love them as a pairing, but Edmilson and Oleguer are a big step down in quality, and Puyol never gets any time off.

And its not Rafa that people want to replace. I'm pretty sure that the centerback people want him to move back to the midfield and take Edmilson off the field.

Right fullback is a weakness, but Gio and especially Sylvinho have been playing great this year, so I see no need to replace them.

8. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    so far no signs of any incoming players but it is still early.

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=34315

At least we know that we are making a push for him.

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evra's been linked with United. Understandable, but if we don't go in for him, I'll be very upset. Is it all because of Christanaval that we won't look at Le Championnat for Defenders?!

11. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Christanaval WORST BARCA SIGNING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. schierding

schierding New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Márquez was bought from Monaco, so this is not the issue. Instead I think Barca have targeted Fabio Aurelio (Brazilian with EU passport) from Valencia as the new left back. He seems to be a solid player plus he has La Liga experience, and I think he'd be cheaper than Evra, who has been hyped somewhat imo.

13. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    For the left full back position, i think we will have to wait till the summer window. To me Sylvinho and Gio have been doing well so far. As for Evra, last time i heard Man United want him, let him head to the premiership. I doubt we have any interest in him.

14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i've been very happy with sylvinho this season. he's done nothing wrong, he's already got two or three assists and a goal, and his understanding with dinho is telepathic, and he's been solid defensively. and gio has actually played very well also.

we do not need a new left back

15. schierding

schierding New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Sylvinho has been pretty good, but Gio has been awful lately. Sylvinho's contract will expire in the summer, and by the looks of it, Barca aren't exactly desperate to renew it. Though I'd rather see Gio go, the contract situation might see Sylvinho leave. But still, if we get Fabio Aurelio in return, the squad surely wouldn't be any weaker.

Btw, how old is Sylvinho? This is probably significant in regards to him being offered a new deal.

16. sibuor

sibuor New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Well the weakest player is by far Oleguer,this was exposed by AC Milan in last years champion league and also by Chelsea.
    The lesson Chelsea and Mourinho tought was that playing Oleguer and Gio together is suicidal.Oleguer is slow and prone to loosing all air battles.
    Gio is great in everything but very weak in the air.He simply cannot jump.

17. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You are making non-substantiated assumptions.

Oleguer is by far the most improved from last years squad.
    Gio cannot jump...have you watched Sylvinho....it's not that they cannot jump, they are both short.

As for the Chelsea champs league match ( I dont believe barca was outplayed by AC), the reason they scored 3 in 20 is one word..........GERARD....this mistake will never be duplicated.

18. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I laugh at the accusations of Gio being awful.....do you know how many teams would jump at the chance of signing a left back he can attack and play respectable defense.....dont get greedy

19. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    *Sound of nail hitting head*

20. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^TRUTH^

Replace the name Gerard with Marquez in that match squad, and we advance to the next round.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sylvinho is 31, GvB is 30. They're both good left backs (Sylvinho's been better than good lately), but there are younger, better options out there. There's no need to rush anything during the winter transfer window, but this is something the Barca board should be monitoring. If Aurilio or Evra are available, Laporta should buy one.

During the winter window, I think Barca need to bring in another central defender for depth. The guys who are currently the top reserves at the position are both first-choice at another spot (Edmilson at dmid, Oleguer at right back), which leaves the squad paper-thin. If either Marquez or Puyol get injured Rijkaard is really gonna have to juggle the line-up.

Are there any top central defender prospects with the reserve and youth teams? I honestly don't know.

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't remember all of the goals, but one goal was definitely Xavi's fault.

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a Thuram-like player would be good right now. Meaning a bit versatile, but more specifcally and old (cheap and willing to be a backup) and experienced back. Not Albertini-like though.

24. ChainWhip

ChainWhip Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Didn't Xavi slip on that one? Come to think of it, Barca players were slipping all over the place that night.

25. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    The player who would fit that description would most likely be Juventus`s imposing central defender Jonathan Zebina. He is strong on the ball and a good tackler plus he reads the game well and a good man marker. The only problem is he might not want to be back up especially with the world cup coming up. And i think he is only 27 years.

Good news is that he has indicated his willingness to quit Turin after a pay rise request was turned down. So this looks the best possible time to land him, Liverpool and Ac Milan are also after him. Juve probably won`t mind letting him go as they have Kovac even if he has struggled with injuries this season. Read on...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]