News: Winnipeg joins the PDL

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm actually disappointed to hear this, largely because I would have hoped to see Winnipeg enter at the NASL level.

3. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hate the PDL with passion (it's a pointless league) but for Winnipeg it's a good way to get their feet wet. They have already mentioned that their ultimate goal is to go pro, so this may be like the Aztex where they played PDL the first year to get started.

I really like what I'm seeing from this club, both the professional presentation and the club staff seem really strong. I wish them the best and hope to see them in the NCC real soon.

4. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    No its not a pointless league it is a good league and no its not a useless league.

5. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice argument, well structured.

6. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Put it this way do you see the chl as pointless league.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I think the potential is definitely there for Winnipeg to operate at the NASL level. That said, if I was looking at starting a team in 2011 there's no way I'd put down any money at the D2 level until it becomes clear which league is going to be in operation long term. Besides, an active team in the PDL beats a potential team in any other league.

8. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes I do, It's the reason the Europeans caught up to us so quickly. I'll PM you my full argument to try and avoid derailing this whole thread.

9. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well...Winnipeg tried all kinds of hybrids in the past...One indoor,now at least this effort is aimed at outdoor.

Once I see a full competative season under their belt,we can see if it is great for Winnipeg or not.

Typically,these teams hold bunch of repetitious truy outs,keep changing coaches etc...and when it comes to the real league,there is very little there and then they fade away.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Tier three soccer does have some starts and stops. Interestingly, though, with the exception of some name changes in Abbotsford I can't think of any Canadian PDL teams that have folded. In fact, the last two to launch (Victoria and London) both average over 1000 fans per game. Winnipeg certainly has the potential for at least that much.

11. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not if you know who is running it.

12. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You think you've made a point just now, but you really haven't.

The guys involved played professionally for the CSL Winnipeg Fury, and Ignat and Badescu played professionally in Romania as well. They know the local soccer scene, they're well versed in the international soccer climate, they have a PR campaign starting at the grassroots and already looking quite sharp, and they have all the best intentions to make WSA Winnipeg work.

I look forward to seeing their progress.

13. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good for Winnipeg. I'm glad on that this has finally worked. I have a memory of the Winnipeg Sundogs trying to play in the PDL but the USL stopped them saying (words to the effect off....) "Winnipeg is a USL1 city".

The old Fury of the CSL were hopelessly behind the eight ball playing in Winnipeg Stadium on turf.

14. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Check you facts...Badescu moved to Canada when he was 19 and never played professional soccer even for a minute...Costa almost did in Romania,but at the end didn't either...Winnipeg Fury doesn't count as professional soccer,okay.{and Badescu just hanged around them,but never was part of the squad}

The only person involved who accomplished something as a soccer player was William.

I wish Costa and William luck as well.

15. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If they ever take off and actually play a season out,I'd be shocked.

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Even then they drew decently (for the CSL). I recall each season they had a special promotional night that typically drew over 10 000.

17. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Good luck to Winnipeg. It's unfortunate it has to be PDL. I was hoping the CSL would align quickly enough to get enter a truly national league.

The PDL is a real league but I don't prefer it to CSL. Good luck to the new Ottawa franchise vs the PDL Fury.

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The PDL isn't a senior men's or a semi pro league though, so if the CSL did get out west in 2012 or 2013, WSA Winnipeg could totally put up a men's team in CSL and use PDL as it's academy. London City in CSL has picked up several FC London players since that team started.

Anyways, my point is, nothing is set in stone.

19. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Why did the CSL comish quit?

He apparently wanted the CIS style conferences for CSL,West,East etc...

20. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Eduardo Badescu has a UEFA A and Pro licence. He coached a Romanian 2nd Tier side for one season and was a technical consultant for the Romanian FA Youth teams. I'd say WSA Winnipeg players will be in good hands.

21. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Are you serious?You don't know what you are talking about from Ontario...He never coached any 2nd tier side for one season,but as a part of his "licensing" he lasted 4 or 5 games with that team,that his friend owns...Do you know who you are advocating for?

This is really typical of Voyagers,without nowing anything,just internet crap,they make opinions about everything and everybody without knowing all facts.

22. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're not really in the making friends with people business are you?

Badescu is a solid technical coach, that's why the Romanian FA asked him to participate in revamping their technical program for U15 and U16 teams. He wrote up their practice syllabus. Considering PDL is a development league i'd say the young players will learn a thing or two which should serve them well.

23. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Okay I give up again...You won...As far as the issue at hand..."consult" anyone at CSA,even they can tell you.

He is at least another Maradona of coaching...LOL.

24. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not in this to win or lose Miro.

Good luck to WSA Winnipeg.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If one feels that another poster is a pain, the best thing to do is simply not reply.

That way we can avoid a lot of the pointless pissing matches that are plaguing this forum.