Windows ME to XP upgrade...trying to find missing files...HELP!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by olujosh, Aug 23, 2003.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To make a long story short, I installed WINDOWS XP on top of WINDOWS ME. (I know that's a no-no, but I was in a tight spot and I had to do something...)

Now I have Windows XP and the files/programs are still in the computer but they aren't registering in my Windows XP OS. In the Windows Explorer, I can see all of my previous programs all in "Program Files", but I can't access them.
    Is there anyway to "import" settings/address books/files/programs from Windows ME to XP, if the files still exist on the computer?

If I have to re-install all the programs...that's fine. The MAIN concerns for me are my address book in Outlook Express (in ME) and some of the files which were stored on the desktop.

I've got my "Soccer Little Black Book" on there and I need to get it back, along with some other files for the Soccer Fanatics Radio Show.

If anyone can help, please contact me. I'm at josh@soccerfanaticsradio.com or I'm on all of the instant messagers as "olujosh"

2. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you "upgrade it" or really just "install on top of it"? There is a big difference. If you really install on top of it, sorry to tell you all your previous programs are dead. They cannot be used and just take up hard drive space. You may as well just delete them all. What you should have done is to install with an XP upgrade instead of installing with a full version.

During the installation, the registary file is re-written. Without it, your previous software wouldn't work. At least that is one of the problem I know. There could be others. Also all your files in "my documents" folders are wiped clean.

3. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reply...

I was afraid that was what happened. I know better than to install on top of an OS, but I really didn't have a choice in the matter (I'm sure maybe if I knew DOS or something maybe I could have performed DOS surgery on the thing, and could have fixed it....but I'm in Philly where I don't know anyone, so I couldn't find a "computer guy" handy)

Luckily some of the really important files, I had saved on a disc...so it's not the worst disaster in the world...and even more importantly, I had JUST backed up my "Little Black Soccer Book" that I have for the show -- so THAT is a major relief.

I'm going to try to recover as much stuff as possible, and get all my programs together...and just wipe the hard drive clean and re-install WIN XP.

Thanks again