Pre-match: Window 4 Home Venues

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Nov 24, 2021.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I don’t think we’re changing. I was just throwing out indoor stadiums in the Midwest which are close and that we know have the requisite field dimensions.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Or not. If it's -5F the game will be cancelled. That's a safety hazard to both players and spectators. FIFAPro recommends cancelling a match that falls below 5F, and the last I looked the weather forecast for St. Paul on Wednesday is a high of 8 and a low of -5.

Unless they can pull an emergency venue switch. I remember that Guatemala did that to us in the 2002 cycle, and had us take a bus out to some remote venue (where we gave up a Pescadito goal for either a loss or a draw) because of some last-minute stadium issue, real or imagined.

edcrocker and gjackson2207 repped this.
  3. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed. But the cancellation would be a result of the dumb decision. In all honesty, since St. Paul’s weather isn’t a secret and we had a myriad of other options, you could logically argue that we should forfeit.

majspike and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, I don't want to be the lawyer that argues that we should forfeit.

But what what I'd just added to my last post about our away match in Guatemala during the 2002 cycle. They were able to get a last-minute change of venue for... some "problem," I honestly don't know what it was.

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did that but with much more than 3 days notice.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep anywhere from KC to STL to Nashville to Indy to OH looks like a no go with the major winter storm moving in.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The fact that we resorted to playing temperature games against Honduras and El Salvador speaks volumes.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  8. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember that too from 2002. If we can’t use the NFL stadium where do we go? Maybe get a crap tonne of heaters and pull a big ass tarp all nice and tight over the top of the original venue? Wouldn’t have to worry about tix or nothing. Of course, when the tarp collapses in the 70th minute, we’ll have high drama because the TV’s will only register Aaronson as a blue blob when he hammers home the winner.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I completely agree with this take; at the very least, not making sure US Bank Stadium or whatever the Vikings stadium is called is available on standby is pretty negligent. Not realizing MN is inhospitable cold in early Feb is just dumb.

10. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Red Bull arena should be about 35 degrees at kickoff time on Wednesday. That would be an ironic choice!

Marko72 repped this.
  11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Judging by what I'd read about it these past few weeks on social media, I think the fan base was tickled by the idea of giving someone the ol' CONCACAF treatment, but someone in our federation should've quashed this idea the moment someone floated it. I don't think we need to freeze Honduras, and I don't think anyone else thought we "needed" to, either, but Canada had just won its game against Mexico in Edmonton, and the fed really, really hate holding home qualifiers in front of hostile crowds, and I think it seemed like a good idea to them at the time. Usually people only do needlessly stupid stuff like this when pounding shots, though, when they hopefully have a friend around that's level-headed enough to take their keys.

12. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Also Honduras couldn’t even sell out their home stadium against us. No less make it a factor in the US while in last place and completely eliminated.

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair I’m sure Honduras would be happy to accommodate us if we wanted to shift to a more hospitable spot. Still not happening though.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Therefore, under the circumstances, I think there's a very significant chance that this gets cancelled and rescheduled for the window set aside for the intercontinental playoffs.

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    ? It's quite possible that this game is needed to determine who participates in said playoff.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have had qualifiers in past cycles against Honduras in both DC and Chicago where it was a very pro-Honduras crowd. There’s not even much of a Honduran diaspora in Chicago and it was the articles at the time estimate that there was a 4-1 advantage in terms of Honduran fans.

Hence the desire to put the game in an MLS stadium with a built in season ticket base. Too late now, but it probably would have been fine to do in either Orlando or Austin.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I know, but when else would it be possible to reschedule?

I'm speculating. I honestly have no idea what CONCACAF will do should our match be cancelled due to extreme cold (and the forecast that I just saw predicts a high of 9F and a low of -12F for Wednesday in St. Paul). FIFAPro recommends canceling games if the air temperature falls below 5F.

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Still 60 and sunny in San Jose :whistling::whistling::whistling:

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Where we stomped the same team 6-0 last cycle.

20. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Exactly where this match should be played. 60/70 degrees in the Bay Area, great pitch in San Jose, and you know that stadium would be full and 90% US fans.

xbhaskarx and edcrocker repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the chances it gets rescheduled are basically zero. There’s really not any other time to play.

We have a better chance of Honduras not showing up and us getting 3 points by forfeit then we do if the game getting canceled.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If conditions force the match to be moved, then I assume this would be an empty stadium situation.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Even if the temp is well below the point that FIFAPro recommends cancelling a match? That temp is 5F. The current forecast for Wednesday is a high of 9 and a low of -12F.

I'm not pretending to know what the match commissioner and referee will decide on Wednesday, and what CONCACAF and FIFA would do about it if they did, but those are the guidelines that FIFAPro publishes. Extreme cold is dangerous to both players and spectators. That kind of cold is bad to breathe during heavy exercise and causes frostbite and all kinds of issues.

24. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    You know, watching them play El Salvador today, that thought occurred to me. Would it be a 3-0 forfeit? If so, I'll take it.

25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but those guidelines aren’t FIFA regulations, and are in no way binding on the match commissioner and referee. I don’t even know that it will,be part of their thought process. And if it were FIFA would already be telling US Soccer that they had to move the game.

It’s definitely not an ideal situation, though I worry more about the players then I do the fans. It’s not often but there are NFL games played in this sort of weather and the fans seem like they get through it ok. The players are obviously way more exposed then an NFL player though.