Pre-match: Window 4 Home Venues

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Reccossu, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Back to Columbus v. El Salvador

St. Paul, MN v. Honduras.

Winoman repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Minnesota huh, might as well be Canadia

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, count me as one of those who feel that scheduling a qualifier in St. Paul on February 2 was flat-out stupid. There's no need for that kind of cuteness. Going back to Cincinnati or Nashville after Columbus and Toronto would've been cute enough.

Sometimes the world of sports is ridiculously monkey-see-monkey-do. Canada just stupidly held a qualifier up in Edmonton in November (which they should not be allowed to do again), and so now we want to repeat the feat with Minnesota in February.

No offense to Minnesota fans. I'd have been happy for you guys to have gotten a game at your new Allianz Field in September or October...

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I don't. This is a great way to get people hurt.

nobody and gjackson2207 repped this.
  5. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field in St Paul is heated. It’s going to be just fine.

Marius Tresor, FTGOTC, TrueCrew and 3 others repped this.
  6. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t understand these locations at all. We could put these games just about anywhere and thrash these teams. Why put them in places where it might snow and turn the game into a rando-fest? What’s the point of playing these in freezing weather?

7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    I wonder if the heating is strong enough to be effective in extreme cold. The main purpose it was designed for may have been just extending the growing season a few weeks, or melting some frost, not making the pitch playable on a cold February night

VioletCrown repped this.
  8. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it. Have the people complaining not played in cold weather before? Once you get moving it’s fine. The field is heated, so the surface should be as good as anywhere else.

FTGOTC, wixson7 and Master O repped this.
  9. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Why shouldn't Canada be allowed to host a game in Edmonton? Why exactly was it dangerous? Was it more dangerous than playing in the afternoon sun in +38c in Honduras? Isn't that more dangerous to the health of players?

russ, Guinho, grandinquisitor28 and 8 others repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, I want all of the US's remaining home matches to be in ice cold weather with driving snow.

I'm all for USSF making the USMNT's opponents suffer.

The whole region does it to the US with 100+ degree weather. Why not do it back?

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not if we make our own team suffer. In this coming window, minimizing travel time/distance and not changing time zones across the three games made a lot of sense.

Freezing temps - possibly with snow, etc - are not necessarily to our advantage, in games we are the superior team and need to win.

12. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Seems ridiculous to me to schedule a mid-winter game for Minnesota. Why do we think the US players will somehow prefer that environment? The certain bitter cold and potential for absolutely ridiculous conditions only level the playing field. That’s great if you are the worse team. It’s foolish if you are the better team. The only reason Columbus seems even remotely reasonable is it’s not Minnesota.

Surely the fed could find a better spot and still limit ticket sales in a way that ensured a majority partisan crowd. Really seems boneheaded.

13. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    We would have a worse chance of winning in a driving snow match in St Paul than we would in 70 degree weather anywhere else in the US, that’s why.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The field, yes. The air, no. Cold does bad things.

gjackson2207 repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    What you're asking for is a low-skill game with lots of unpredictability factor and the risk of injuries.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can this be a crossover "why doesnt the mls calendar align with the rest of the world" thread?

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed. We're the most talented team in the region. We don't need play in a blizzard to beat Honduras, who we recently beat on the road 4-1, who we last beat in qualifying at home 6-0 last cycle...

18. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing you want in these games is snow. It makes the surface unpredictable which will make the game more susceptible to a random outcome. We are the better side in these games by a large margin. Minimize the variables, make the game about soccer, and we will win. I’m afraid these sites don’t do that.

Guinho, Marko72, nycfc919 and 4 others repped this.
  19. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #19 gjackson2207, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Columbus is way more likely to be OK than St. Paul. Orlando has a nice stadium. You might even reduce the amount of pre window “slight hamstring pulls” amongst Euro based players if the third game in the window was a bit of a reward for putting up with the first two.

Reccossu repped this.
  20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the people complaining about Minnesota, since the field there is heated, will that make a difference at all?

21. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    And it’s not like we are frustrated because the “random venue selector” spit out St Paul. That’d be crappy enough. The fed actually did this ON PURPOSE. It boggles. If ‘less travel from Canada,’ ‘gotta spread qualies around at least a little don’t we,’ ‘need to be away from Honduran fan centers,’ and ‘let’s use our climate to indimidate the opponent,’ were the winning factors here over “can we be confident our players will be able to play well here,’ then it’s just a failure. What am I missing that makes this make sense?

I mean, I wonder why the December friendly is in a 27,000 seat stadium in southern California? Why wasn’t that camp set up in Fargo or Green Bay? It sounds rhetorical but I gather the fed considered such places since the risk of really cold, snowy weather is seen as an advantage. Wouldn’t Gregg want to see which players play well in those conditions? Are different parts of the fed responsible for venue choices for friendlies v. qualifiers?

gjackson2207 repped this.
  22. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    What’s the problem? And Edmonton seemed to work out for Canada, btw.

FTGOTC repped this.
  23. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Doesn’t Big Soccer normally complain when they are held too far south?

FirstStar and ifsteve repped this.
  24. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Big Soccer will always complain. But there is a meaningful difference between September and February.

jnielsen, Marko72 and gjackson2207 repped this.
  25. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I guess it depends on what that heating system is designed to accomplish. If it just keeps the ground from freezing into concrete, then it doesn’t really help so much. It’s more of a minimum necessary to get Concacaf or FIFA approval. Like playing on a clearly too small but still “regulation” pitch.

Marko72 repped this.