"wilpon involved in expansion discussions with MLS" -- NY Times Report

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Metrogo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Still more evidence... everyone wants it.... likely just a matter of time!

Hopefully, this will also put an end to the Borough Boys being supporters of "FC Fantasy", and put an end to the silly lies about the "Long Island Franchise" that MLS has picked a logo for, etc.

We're not doing so bad for a bunch of welfare cases!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/sp...tml?ref=soccer

2. Warrior51

Warrior51 New Member

Mar 25, 2004
    North Shore
    The link appears to be dead.

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/sports/soccer/19soccer.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=borough%20boys&st=cse&oref=slogin

Its the same story as yesterday!

metro is right - HUGE because it proves all of the above

Wilpons are involved in talks
    MLS is talking to NYC
    Borough Boys are involved and it was conifirmed by the Mets that we met with them

So while many people dont see this happening - perhaps people should start taking NYC more seriously

Yep - guess we get extra food stamps this week - ha ha

4. tommymcb

tommymcb Member

Feb 14, 2007
    CT
    you got no ice cream
    you got no ice cream
    you on de welfare
    you on de welfare

5. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantasy FC....looks like you got to Jack Bell as well. Everyone knows you can't get anything done, in NYC. Bunch of liars

6. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been an official announcement about NY sending in it's application for the next round of expansion?

Interesting stuff, this expansion race. Portland, Montreal are legit contenders as well. It's cool to see all this interest in MLS.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It really is good to see these people lined up for MLS expansion - right now there has not been a BID announced but they have till october if they want to!

Portland and Montreal are for sure top contendors right now - but that can all change overnight! Montana for 2011!!

8. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    MLS has to have NYC and soon, after that it's about investors. Red Bull/Metro has been a disgrace and doesn't appeal to the huge base of soccer fans in NYC. Wilpon is sitting on a goldmine, he should build a SSS ASAP with 40,000 seats

9. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I think energy drink are going to turn it around in New Jersey....

The stadium is now a reality that will ensure their futrure.....

Energy Drink will always draw the jersey crowd like they always have... Metro also had most of their fan base from jersey... around 2000 Metro just began to ingnore the NY side where as b-4 that Metro would play most of their open cup games in NY and Long island... some thing just happened that they stopped comming over to this side of the river.....

Energy drink will sit safe in New jersey their new digs ensure their survival.....

how ever the facts are that Energy drink are not pulling in Ny fans in huge numbers I would say that maybe 30 % of their fan base come fron NY..... they pull 1 person from maryland.. I know that much... (mr binks)

yes wilpon is sitting on a gold mine of fans... but they have to put out a serious brand a serious look and at least do and play some what desent the 1st year which will be hard to do when NY picks the scrubs from all the other teams in the expansion draft.....

one thing that NY will have is from day 1 they play it will be in a SSS ensuring some thing no other team has ever done.........

as far as the cosmos name that is dead as a door nail and should be kept that way... no one should ever give the huge pay off pepe pinton dreams of he sits on a logo and a past history and dreams of some sucker paying him off.... the dick would not even allow metro to use the logo for 1 fing game as a tribute to the past.. so the past should stay there in 1984 never to come back F pepe and his soccer camps..... this is a fresh start in NY no need to connect to an old league and a name that really is notthing more than a fond memory.. I'm all for NY mets soccer club... why not Nacional we have soccer basket ball hand ball boxing tennis teams and so on and every team uses the nacional soccer logo
    wilpon should put his mets hat logo in a 5 pointed crest and thats it....

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Toronto has done it, and Philadelphia will do it in 2010.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wile - I agree bro! They are going to do very well with the new Arena! I see the steel is going up! That stadium will help that team for sure!

As for NY2 - I really think that is not going to hurt the fan base at all, I really think its going to help it. GIve a NYer another rivalry to be a part of and they will choose sides! Not every new yorker is going to pick NY2 - I know people that refuse to root for a NY named team - (dont know why)

If the fans of both clubs do it right, we can create an atmosphere that people world wide will say - Wow - I have to see a Hudson River Derby Live!! Its going to lure people in!

12. Fascist_Regime

Fascist_Regime New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Changed your tune now. Interesting. Just last month you posted some video about the stadium NEVER happening.

Ha Ha they never cared.

Another about face. Are they paying you to say this? lol

Is he unbanned?

Considering that the NYC team will come in AFTER the new CBA, I highly doubt scrubs will be the order of the day.

Like Mastershake said before, Toronto and then Philly will do that well before NYC2.

13. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I stand corrected I totally forgot about toronto and the ghetto...but then again I could really care less what they are doing...nor do i follow them or care if earth would swallow them up...just like I dont give a s h i t about the lie of 1913 and who they sign or if they win or lose or whats going on with them... (how ever they are so sad they watch to see if nacional loses they are very aware about who we sign and the continued progress of our stadium and our socio ads and how many socios we have and all that..)

change my tune???

not really I'm still anti energy drink and their whole drink marketing 1st football second mentality.....but facts are facts now that the construction is going up there is no doubt now that their future is in their own hands the stadium ensures that...just like it ensures the future of chicago RSL LA galaxy and every one else who has a SSS when they kept fing up the stadium I had a field day and put up the video that the stadium would never get done I ragged on them...but now they are now building just as quick as I am to rag on them on their F ups I'll be the 1st to praise their efforts and every one in this area should be happy a Soccer stadium is going up regardless of what side of the river you are on...and in this situation you have to applaud the fact that the stadium is going up that finally the fans of that awful tasting drink marketing and the fans of the club that was folded to make way for energy drink who have been there since day 1 and espeically to the ESC this stadium to them is a long time comming this right now is more important than a winning team or a championship..they have put up with 12 bad seasons, an ass hole like nick sakiewicshits (cant wait for the sons of b i t c h e s to see who yack drinking ego maniac Nick really is..By the way he has a wonderful record of running 2 teams into the ground TB and NJ Metros) the ANTI SOCCER MENTALITY at giants stadium...many dont know how soccer fans and the TEAMS have suffered at the meadowlands (and for you cosmos fans living in the past the meadowlands then was totally different from the bastards that run that crap today) many never been there when things get bad for fans and when a team is forced to accept any terms forced on by NJSEA many have not gone to metro or energy drink because they are in jersey.. I have gone I have supported them regardless of them being in the VAST WASTELANDS in NJ because this was and currently is THE ONLY TEAM IN THE AREA....and for now I dont let the small detail that they are a jersey side keep me away because I aint giving my money to the FAT SLOBS Heart Attack waiting to happen "athletes" of the NFL I dont support Major League Borefest AKA MLB I dont care about the mets or the yankees and could not even name you 1 player on the roster who dont get their pics up on GQ or people magazine...and if you ever see me with a yank jersey or met jersey or hats its for fashion purpose I dont feel any thing for them and only resently found out the mets had 2 NORTH american championships when a met fan friend of mine corrected me and said the mets also won 1 in 1969... I have not changed my tune I look foward to the NYC club..yeah I hate the red bull name and marketing and their circus and all that.. I dont feel for red bull what I felt for metro for metro it came from with in and that feeling does not come from with in for Energy Drink but unlike the silly clowns that come out and say metro energy drink are a jersey side and only cause they are from jersey choose not to support I find that a tad stupid.i dont believe in that others may and thats fine.. I love soccer that shit is my game I'll support it i dont care what side of the river its at for now.. I have NO LOVE for NBA MLB or NFL I will not support that on a boring day with notting to do... I rather read a boring book than to watch any of that crap on TV or attend live... so b-4 any one says why i go if I dont feel it for rb I aint going to sit on my ass waiting to go to uruguay during the winter to see nacional when I can go to the next best thing in NJ and live in soccer season going to the stadium all year round..REGARDLESS of which side of the river it is at.. once some thing starts up in NY if I'm still living here and have not gone back to uruguay I'll support the new NY side based on the fact that it will be closer to me...for now as a US soccer supporter I have done my part by following the embarrasment of energy drink which is far more than some of these euro snobs and mexican snobs that aint giving RB no love and wont give NY no love as well....and have not bothered nor ever will give MLS a chance....

Binks is unbanned

dont know what CBA means but MLS expansion teams have all picked the unwanted meat from all the other teams... The ghetto will pick unwanted players seattle will do so as well and yes NY is going to pick up players that are unwanted who most of them are all scrubs cause you have to be off your rocker to give away a quality player and leave them unprotected....thats the way it always has been no way MLS is going to just let NY pick players any different....

about having a about face not really... facts are facts Energy Drink has always pulled fans from NJ... Metros also pulled in fans from NJ over NY and their season ticket base was 80% from NJ I saw the stats when I was a paid "employee" of the club..96 97 98 were the 3 solid seasons they had a strong NY following after 98 that number fell like a sack of bricks...There was a time that Metro did feel like a club that belonged to both sides of the river like I said b-4 they had open cup games in NYC and long island and had meet the team nights in NYC every year then one day all that stopped and yes I believe that they really stopped caring about the real NYC market.....this club and the former club made a huge error in not catering to this side of the river...or at the very least involve this side of the river in some way...do so to at least justify the New york name on your logo.....

As far as the redbull fan based being hurt thats never going to happen they have their core fans those same core that goes week in and week out and that core is from NJ with a tad of NY sprikled all around but not much... For those Energy drink fans that say and kick and scream and yell NO WAY that NYC should have a club and are in fear that a second team would hurt their club are totally wrong on the subject..you cant get hurt by a fan base that is not going to your games now anyways. You cant get hurt by a fan base that REFUSES to go cause its far or what ever, you cant get hurt by a fan base that HAS BEEN IGNORED by the red bull.simply you cant convince some one in long island to treck to Jersey...I use to roll up with a few nacional fans THIS YEAR from long island who stop going not cause red bulls suck or the name is stupid or the situation at giants stadium its because its to god damn far from long island and i have done their trip it takes 3 hours to get there....... Most of the no sayers I know personally from the ESC perhaps their fear is that with in the group people deciding to leave for some thing more closer cheaper or what ever that is a different subject... but the current Energy drink fan base will not suffer at all with a team in NY...if any thing this is going to help both clubs to put out a good product year after year and when they both suck they will at least try to out do each other with prices marketing and promotions.....and that can only be good for THE FANS of Both Clubs

NYC will have to wait until the soft drink exclusive rights runs out in 2010 then it will be a green light for the ny team....which is going to happen like it or not....

La fans were upset when chivas came around but after the dust settled LA fans were not hurt at all... the name chivas alienated all other mexican fans not chivas fans and south americans who never support a mexican invention to glorify their crap team who never won any thing of importance in mexico and central americans who simply hate mexican soccer in any incarnation.. those fans are ripe to be plucked by the Galaxy...but that is a different subject but is an example for the NY fearing NJRB fans

14. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this is a nice mention. I just got back frpm vacation last night and just saw it.