William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its been said a lot that the USMNT is one of the friendlier environments in international soccer. Maybe thats because our players look at the game a little less seriously than other countries who view it as strictly business.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I see it more as there is less pressure to win. Less pressure from fans. Less pressure from the media. Less Pressure from the Federation.

Which I will admit has its advantages and disadvantages.

We could be like Mexico where their media has everything under a magnifying glass, they seem to be in crises with every losing streak, and they run through managers like they are toilet paper.

3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as he took the field, I felt more comfortable. I was just waiting for NR to dump another clearance right to the Swiss all night long.

While he might not be ready for the #1 role ahead of BG, I would feel very comfortable with him as our backup. Looked composed, quick off his line and athletic. Nothing he could do on the goal from 2 feet out.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Well I don't really know for sure what the answer is, but I know that one of the key values that we have in the US is being a good teammate. The team is emphasized over the individual from day one and even shows up on t-shirts. How this compares with other countries, I don't know. I don't think that this eliminates, or reduces the competition, but it does force it to take on a different tone. I don't think that our players, especially professionals, look at it less seriously than in other countries. I would agree, however, that the professional environment is probably significantly different than the amateur level (as you may guess, I have never played professionally) and because our players generally get into a professional environment later than in other countries, that could have something to do with it as well.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I liked some stuff, but he has room to grow. It looked like he was a little off on his "starting position" when some balls were struck. As a for instance, I think it was a short corner or free kick that he stepped forward on, then quickly realized to was over his head and he dived backward. The Swiss player on the backpost had a free header BEHIND him that should have been a goal.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://m.espn.go.com/deportes/nota?storyId=2336380&src=desktop&cc=3888&wjb (in Spanish)

Paraphrased by someone at Reddit:

Basically Yarborough is quoted saying that it would be a lack of respect if he changed from the US to Mexico if Mexico were to call him up for a friendly, however that still remains a very possible option. And if he was too accept a call up from Herrera, he would be fully committed to Mexico from then on. Also the Mexico national team coach is reportedly still looking at him.

7. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i dotn see any of that in the article

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than Rimando over course of 2 games.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that one goal that bedner scored, was not blocked by rimando because hes so midget. lol

It's called FOOTBALL and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It should be noted that Rimando is also a Mexican-American :)

His mother is Mexican and his father is Filipino.

11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American society does not regard soccer as a sport to be taken seriously, so there is little pressure for the US Men's team, if it gets any coverage at all.

To most Americans, especially the Baby Boomers who control the American sports media, Soccer is the sport of the following groups:

1) Hipsters
    2) Homosexuals
    3) Children and effeminate boys who weren't good enough for red-blooded American sports like Baseball or American Football
    4) Illegal Immigrants, especially Hispanics
    5) Communists

The above attitude takes generations to change, but you can still see it in the way the sport is portrayed here.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I completely agree, and thats not because I think Yarbrough is good enough yet. I just think Rimando is terrible at the international level.

This is probably my biggest criticism of him. His positioning and overaggressive is a big problem. I think it needs to be corrected before I'd be comfortable with him playing an important match for us, but even then, I still prefer Johnson and Hamid to Yarbrough.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doen't that mean Filipino-Mexican-American? ;)

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FiliMexamerican? ;)

15. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so what does that have to do with my comment? There are many a Mexican midget, such as most of the Mexican NT, however the GK positions tend to support taller players. Now since there is no filipino NT and Rimando was never even a blip on any Mexico NT radar, no other recourse for this guy.

I remember back in the DCU days he used to get burned plenty of times, so its sortof a wonder he ever got a callup .

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It doesn't have anything to do with it. Just pointing out that Rimando is also Mexican, in case you weren't aware.

Nick isn't a top international keeper, but he's a fine MLS keeper. He's never been MLS Goalkeeper of the Year, though.

A good, solid veteran presence as the 3rd goalkeeper at the moment. Nothing more than that.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm no big Rimando supporter, but he's improved a lot since his first few professional seasons.

18. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yep i believe that. i remember way back in the day he wasn't too impressive.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing him a few months ago on TV playing with his club. He was having a fantastic game. I was in a Mexican restaurant that I always go to and asked some of the Mexicans I know about him. They said he's Mexican and were very insisting that he's not American, so I thought he was just a light-skinned Mexican. I guess he isn't and the
    guys were worried that we'd steal him from Mexico. He's got talent from what I saw of him with his Mexican club.

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You were right the 1st time, he is a light-skinned Mexican. The Mexicans you were chilling with were speaking the truth. Even if they were afraid of JK poaching, lying wouldn't stop him.

21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apparently isn't. He's not of any Mexican ethnicity. He's a gringo who was born and raised in Mexico from American missionaries who stayed there after their honeymoon.

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    He's Mexican by nationality. Some will argue that Mexican ethnicity doesn't have to be solely for those of indigenous stock, so he can be ethnically Mexican depending on who you ask.

He's definitely not a gringo, he'd have had to be born and raised up here to be that. Being white doesn't automatically make you one. His parents are, but not him.

rich loc and Chiquitibum repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or a Spanish-speaking American! lol.

I love claiming. It's always fun. (I mean, how much "truth" can they be speaking if the cat's got a blue book?)

24. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    His u.s. citizenship doesn't negate his Mexican citizenship. So they were speaking truth.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not when they said "he's not American..." but I'm just messing anyway. My kids have 3 passports so I understand the dilemma more than some.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.