will we get to view all the games?

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by sisterluke, Apr 23, 2012.

1. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if we will have access to all the games even if they don't all air on television?

2. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    NBC's olympic website, nbcolympics.com, says you can stream all the games live.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    four years ago (Beijing 2008), nbcolympics.com had every event streamed live as well as archived for on demand replay on your own time.

every event, men's and women's, of every single preliminary and final event in the olympics. it was like over 8,000 hours of olympic video (no sh*t).

that would be cool if they do that again in the 2012 Olympics. They used Microsoft Silverlight last time (in 2008), which was state of the art technology then in video quality.

they left it up on the website until the 2010 winter olympics, and then they took it down.
    so that gave you almost two years to enjoy the on demand footage.
    i went back and watched a couple of Michael Phelps swimming events a year later. even watched the end of the USA vs. Brazil women's soccer match a year after it happened.

also, during the 2008 Olympics, DirecTV subscribers were treated to about 5 extra free channels dedicated to the olympics (channel 701 - 705, if I remember correctly). two of those channels were the NBC Soccer channel, and NBC Basketball channel. both channels showed every single soccer match, men's and women's, and every single basketball match, men's and women's. i hope they do that again as well.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as WPSm said, every event is televised somewhere... the USA may not care about judo or fencing but france sure does. and all the team sport matches are televised at least in the countries playing. and that means streams.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    BBC1 will show Team GB v New Zealand on the 25th of July.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, but are we sure it will be visible everywhere, in particular in Europe and especially in Italy, that's notoriously a country that doesn't give a damn about women football and whose NT wasn't even close to qualify for Olympics? :confused:

The fact that an american network like NBC will televise everything don't re-assure me at all about the fact that i'll manage to watch all that here in Italy.
    Instead, I read worrying news on my country's newspapers about the Olympics Comittee "enforcing" the rules about un-authorized transmissions of Olympic events... :(

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    There will be online streams.
    Links will be posted all over the forums on the day of the matches, I'm sure of it.
    Technology, and the quantity of streams of these matches are more plentiful than they were four years ago in the 2008 Beijing games, or 3 years ago when the online world (outside of Europe) struggled to watch the Euro women's tournament.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Terrific article about NBC's coverage of the Olympics.
    It is confirmed, there will be a channel dedicated to soccer (all matches).
    NBC Soccer Channel is back in 2012.

Also of note, every event in the Olympics will be streamed and on-demand, on the internet, tablet, mobile device, etc.

And all the events will be on television it seems as well.
    The new NBC Sports Channel will have over 300 hours of live coverage.
    Plus the regular NBC channel. There will also be 11 sports regional channels showing the 2012 games in London (probably the Comcast sports regional channels), since NBC and Comcast are now one.

Here's the articles:
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/482597-NBC_Sports_Network_Eyes_Gold_with_Record_Number_of_Olympic_Cable_Hours.php

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052619?refCatId=14

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My obvious question is: all of this NBC covering will be visible in internet to us in Europe or will it be geo-blocked or something? :confused:

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You can use a proxy server (including "overplay") to bypass the geo-block.
    Of course, you may have to have cable/satellite/video service provider with NBC, and login through your video subscriber username and password.

I'm sure there will still be a creative way to get around all of that.

If the matches are on-demand, and I am able to download the matches, I will upload them on a server and post the links. Of course, they will be uploaded hours after each match, or the day after each match, as it takes time to download and then upload them on a server.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i must be either very dim or very bright because i don't understand what we're on about. televised match = stream = watch.

sure they try to block streams. the DEA is trying to keep drugs from getting into the country and colombia is going to try to win their group. but in the end truth, freedom, drugs and france will all win out.

12. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    OK. This may not mean anything but I've been watching the NBC Sports Network lately and they have their own sports ticker (similar to ESPN's) giving people the scores from various leagues in the USA. Included was their message about the Olympics, saying that NBCSN will begin coverage on July 25, with the Opening Ceremony on NBC on the 27th. Again, not promising anything but the only events scheduled for the 25th and 26th are in association football, according to this site.

If what they're saying is true then we may, indeed, have a TV option for those two days. *Fingers crossed*

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    4 years ago, USA played against Norway (two days before the opening ceremony in Beijing).
    It was the first group match for both teams (Norway won the match and outplayed the USA that day).
    That match was shown live on the Universal HD channel (which was an HD channel in the HD pack from DirecTV and other cable/satellite/video providers). Universal HD is/was a channel owned by NBC (at least it was back then).
    I believe the USA men's first group match was also on that channel.
    However, no other non-USA group matches were shown in the first two days (before the opening ceremony) four years ago in Beijing.

So I assume they'll do the same on the NBC Sports Network for this year in London.
    They'll show the USA vs. France match on NBC Sports Network (which is two days before the Opening ceremony this year, on July 25).
    I doubt any of the non-USA group matches will be on NBC or NBC Sports Network.
    In fact, I have read multiple interviews where NBC Sports Network will be the home of "Team USA" sports throughout the entire Olympics in London. Therefore, it's slim to no chance that they'll show any non-USA events on there, let alone non-USA women's soccer matches.

However, four years ago, NBC created a dedicated channel to all soccer matches in the Olympics.
    They called it "NBC Soccer Channel".
    That channel showed every single men's and women's soccer matches, live, and replayed some on demand afterwards throughout the evening when all the live matches were over.

NBC has already confirmed that they plan to return with an NBC Soccer Channel, as well as an NBC Basketball channel.
    Both channels will be dedicated to showing every match (group and knockout rounds) for men's and women's soccer, and men's and women's basketball. Four years ago, both of those channels were in high definition. They didn't confirm yet this time if it would be in HD, but it's assumed it will be.

Here's the catch.
    Your video provider has to agree (pay) to pick it up.
    DirecTV had it four years ago (and I believe was the first to announce they were picking it up).
    I believe Dish Network and Comcast did as well (I know Dish Network did, I think Comcast also had it).
    AT&T and/or Verizon may have had it (can't remember, I think one of those two had it).
    I believe Time Warner was one of the major providers that didn't pick it up.

It's assumed DirecTV will pick it up this year.
    They always seem to pick up those miscellaneous temporary sports channels for major events (Wimbledon, or any major golf or tennis tournament, plus the Olympics, etc.). They usually stick these extra temporary sports channels in the channel 700 - 710 range on your receiver channel guide listing. Four years ago in Beijing, they had like six dedicated Olympic sports channels (NBC Soccer, NBC Basketball, and four others showing live and on-demand various events).

However, this time around, NBC has announced coverage on even more channels.
    NBC
    NBC Sports Network
    NBC Universal Sports
    11 regional sports channels (Comcast regional sports networks), because of the NBC/Comcast partnership.
    etc.

Plus the various extra channels (NBC Soccer, NBC Basketball, and the other 4+ temporary Olympic channels if they pick up those as well, like they had 4 years ago).

14. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Read more: http://www.multichannel.com/article/484611-NBCU_Sets_Olympic_Lineups_for_MSNBC_CNBC_Bravo.php

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Certainly looking forward to that Great Britain vs. New Zealand match.
    I believe later on that same day, USA vs. France will be played.
    Two of the better group matches... right there on opening day (well, two days before the opening cermony).

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Confirmed.
    NBC will have specialty channels created just for soccer and basketball (770 hours of television coverage dedicated to both soccer and basketball on each of the specialty channels). That's 335 hours of soccer coverage, and 335 hours of basketball coverage. That's every soccer and basketball game from group play and the knockout round. And more than 5,500 hours of total television and online coverage from all the games and events combined. Probable 3D coverage as well for certain events. The first Olympics ever broadcast in 3D, real-life action coverage.

------------------------
    "NBC will also make available to cable, satellite and telco providers specialty channels for basketball and soccer totaling 770 hours of coverage, as well as more than 1,000 Olympics-based video assets, including video-on-demand content. NBC has also partnered with Panasonic Corp. of North America to offer 3D coverage of the Games to all U.S. distributors.
    It's unclear how many operators have signed up for the additional Olympics content, but Zenkel said he expects widespread adoption."
    ------------------------------------

*LINK*
    http://www.multichannel.com/article...ffer_Unprecedented_2012_Olympics_Coverage.php

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  19. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At first glance I wanted to delete that post because of spamming/advertising. Then I realized it was posted by a regular and not a bot. Is it really necessary to advertise nbc in three posts in a row?

20. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Well, the schedule for the first five days of competition (including the matches on the 25th and 26th) is out. This for those who have to rely on the NBC networks (just so the moderator can understand). This comes directly from their latest pr:
    http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/sports/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2012/07/03/sportseventsonn1341346747203.xml

As an aside, I got a notice from my pay TV provider that they'll add the Olympics Soccer channel on the 28th. That's one day after the opening ceremony. However, I'll say that since only footy is scheduled for the 25th and 26th, and no matches on the 27th, one can argue that you don't really need the soccer channel until then. NBCSN and MSNBC should cover the matches in good fashion.

Alternate link: http://fangsbites.com/2012/07/nbcuniversals-olympic-programming-schedule-from-july-25-through-july-29/

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That picture of your avatar is classic.
    Brings back memories from one of the most memorable moments in American television history.
    CHRIS !!!! ....

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And good to see that MSNBC and NBC Sports Channel will be showing some handball matches live from the Olympics, according to those links.

That's probably the first time in American television history that international handball will be shown on TV here, as the USA is horrible in team handball on the world stage.

23. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how do we know if we are getting the olympic soccer channel on our cable? If we don't get the channel do the USWNT games still air on NBC olympic sports channel?

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    No one knows yet whether they will get the specialty NBC Olympics soccer channel, as they haven't provided those details yet. They did state that many or most major cable and satellite providers will have it for the London games. Four years ago (Beijing games), almost all the major providers had it, and if I remember correctly, all or most of these had it (DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, etc). I do remember four years ago, my provider (DirecTV) didn't launch that network until the day after the opening ceremony. Therefore, the first day of soccer coverage for both women's and men's matches were not on DirecTV. I remember watching the USA vs. Norway match (two days before the opening ceremony) on the Universal sports channel or whatever it was. Norway dominated the USA team that day, and that is still the last landmark victory for Norway in a major international tournament as of today.

The good news, is that this time around we have the NBC Sports Network (and MSNBC) covering soccer in addition to the specialty NBC Soccer Channel. Here is the link to the TV schedule for 7/25 - 7/29, which covers the first two days of group matches for each team. Almost every match can be seen on either NBC Sports Channel, and MSNBC, in addition to every match being on the NBC Soccer Channel (but not every match can be "Live" though).

Check your television schedule here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html

TELEVISED SCHEDULES ARE SHOWN BELOW - BY NETWORK

All times Eastern standard (ET) time:

WEDNESDAY
    July 25 - First Day of Group matches

MSNBC
    10:30 am - 1:00 pm: Great Britain vs. New Zealand (LIVE)
    1:00 - 2:30 pm: blank space on MSNBC (maybe airing end of USA vs. France match?)
    2:30 - 4:15: Colombia vs. North Korea (LIVE)
    4:15 - 6:00: Sweden vs. South Africa (but is not "Live" though)

NBC Sports Network
    11:30 am - 1:45 pm: USA vs. France (LIVE) (maybe switch to MSNBC to catch studio recap at 1:45?)
    1:45 - 3:45: Brazil vs. Cameroon (LIVE)
    3:45 - 6:00: Japan vs. Canada (LIVE) (not sure how this is "Live", but that's what schedule says)

NBC Soccer Channel
    12:00 - 2:15: USA vs. France (LIVE) (not sure why above it starts at 11:30, and here at 12:00)
    2:15 - 4:30: Colombia vs. North Korea (LIVE)
    4:30 - 6:00: Great Britain vs. New Zealand (not live though)
    6:00 - 7:30: Japan vs. Canada (not live)
    7:30 - 9:00: Brazil vs. Cameroon (not live)
    9:00 - 10:30: Sweden vs. South Africa (not live)
    10:30 - Midnight: USA vs. France (re-broadcast)

SATURDAY
    July 28- 2nd Day of Group matches

MSNBC
    7:00 am - 9:45 am: Japan vs. Sweden (LIVE)
    9:45 am - 12:00 pm: USA vs. Colombia (LIVE)
    12:00 - 2:30 pm: Great Britain vs. Cameroon (LIVE)

NBC Sports Network
    9:30 - 12:00 pm: New Zealand vs. Brazil (LIVE)
    12:00 - 2:30 pm: USA vs. Colombia (LIVE) (not sure how this is "Live" at 12:00 when above it's 9:45)
    2:30 - 5:00 pm: France vs. North Korea (LIVE)
    * - as for Canada vs. South Africa, we're out of luck, unless we have the NBC Soccer Channel

(Just a quick note, the Canada vs. South Africa match does start at 9:45, so maybe NBC meant to put that match on MSNBC then, and the USA match is "Live" at noon eastern time on NBC Sports Network)

NBC Soccer Channel
    7:00 - 9:30 am: Japan vs. Sweden (LIVE)
    9:30 am - 12:00: New Zealand vs. Brazil (LIVE)
    12:00 - 2:15: USA vs. Colombia (LIVE)
    2:15 - 4:30: France vs. North Korea (LIVE)
    4:30 - 6:15: Canada vs. South Africa (not live though)
    6:15 - 8:00: Great Britain vs. Cameroon (not live though)

Conclusion
    As you can see, pretty much every match is televised on the combination of MSNBC and NBC Sports Network, in addition to the NBC Soccer Channel. Also, I would imagine that if they're televising all these group matches, then MSNBC and NBC Sports Network will combine to televise all the knockout round matches, including all four Quarterfinal matches (one would assume).

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FWIW, youtube streaming is shit. I wish they would use their own service again. People love to hate Silverlight (I liked it for MLS, NCAA MMOD, NBCOlympics, etc.) and I honestly don't care if it is Flash or a locked down HTML5 player, but Google's youtube option is disappointing. Trials coverage on youtube streaming was generally about 2 minutes behind television. That's significant in 2012.