Will there be a field to play on tomorrow?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Arisrules, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    The Giants and the Jets probably raped the field tonight, especially after all that rain. What will happen tomorrow?

2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It should make for a more interesting match with all the potholes, craters and divots created.

P.S. The Giants sucked tonight :mad:. They remind me of the players in the movie "Replacements", with Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman. At least the Metros aren't the only pathetic team at GS.

3. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Who's going to tear their ACL tommorow?

4. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    My guess is that it will be Clint. Isn't there a rule that he can't play with Diallo for more than 30 minutes at a time?

5. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    There's also that rule where Mathis must play at midfield now instead forward like he used to.

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I feel that if the Giants' offensive line holds, they will be decent. Either .500, or above it. The thing is that they have great offensive weapons. No one can honestly say that the Jets have a better receiving corp then the Giants. Now with the addition of Shockey in the middle to compliment the deeper threats of Toomer and Hilliard, it's hard to beat. However, that line is horrendous.

On defense, they should be above average. Strahan will have to be dominant though.

7. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Anyone know how long Barber will be out? I saw him at last year's Metrostars game against Tampa Bay. So I'm going to assume he supports MLS and root for him.

8. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    They had a shot at the turf and there were huge chunks and divots taken out. It will be ugly today. Not only in the middle, but this is our first week of the "touchlines of death" which Mark Chung knew so well. Both sidelines were covered in that tarp/board crap they put down for the players to stand on, so you can count on pure mush for the wingers to run in all day. And Brett Haber pointed out that the Metros played in GS this time of year, adding to the field woes. Boomer Esiason groaned audibly before Haber cut him off.

9. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Found it surprising that Boomer is a Metros fan ;)

I really would have liked to hear what Boomer was going to say about the Metros playing at Giants Stadium. Probably would have been something along the lines of a foreign sport mucking up an American sports shrine.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I hope we can be out of there soon -- to Boomer's great relief! I watched the D3 Championship last night, from Wilmington, NC. Terriffic small stadium for soccer, and it was packed. LIRR beat the Hammerheads, but they got a gift when the Hammer's second goal was called back for offside. Even LI was surprised by the call.

We could be very happy in a place like that. There has got to be a backup plan if/when the Harrison project falls through. I kept switching from Rapids-Quakes to the WUSA championship just to give my eyes a rest from the maze of lines on the Denver field! On the one hand there was this slo-mo exercise on a broad, clear field; on the other hand a fast paced, skillfull match on a rectangle so criss-crossed you barley noticed grass grows there.

All MLS teams need to get out of NFL stadiums, never mind how sweet the deals in KC, NE, Denver--or Chicago. Maybe sharing a smaller venue with a couple USL teams would be the answer -- 15 to 20k, though we could manage with 10 - 15k in most cases.

Mod -- switch this to another board if you like. I found a soapbox in the first paragraph!

11. JensPH

JensPH New Member

Jul 13, 1999
    NYC
    During last night's Giants/Jets game one of the anouncers commented on the poor state of the field. I didn't hear him exactly but I think he then mentioned that the MetroStars also played in the stadium and that they must be tearing up the field! Idiot.

12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It sounded like he was being sarcastic to me .

13. pyanitz

pyanitz New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    NJ
    Field Condition

Lots of slips today...but over all it was better than I expected after the game last night.

As boomer said yesterday....as bad as it is, its 10 times better than what was there before.