Will the NY/NJ Sky Blue play some games at the Redbull Arena?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Elvis Minaya, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That would be a great idea, a doubleheader with the Redbulls. This will help out both team. The more we support soccer in NY/NJ to better for all. Let us know. I would definite go.

thanks

Elvis Minaya (el chileno)

Soccer coach in Queens NY

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the NJ area, so I'mnot really your target audience w/ your question. However, I think that the first question is that of cost. I've been pretty clear that I think it is not at all worth blowing the bank to play in RedBull Arena and/or have a double header. If said doubleheader is the difference btwn being in the red (or way more in the red) and being in the black (or close to it), I say skip the doubleheader. Please note, I am a fan of MLS so this opinion isn't based on dislike of the league. I am just not sure what the real benefits are for WPS teams for the doubleheaders. If fans can't come in & then go back out to their tailgates, are regular MLS fans going to leave their tailgates early to see a WPS game?

As for the 4:30 start time, I don't know the area and the travel time for folks that work & any potential conflicts w/ school/camp/other day time kid activities.

3. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Hmm, 4:30 is a pretty difficult start time, esp coming from NYC, but the game would be in Harrison and not all the way down at Rutgers? I.e., there would be public transportation directly to the field (PATH)?? I would definitely consider sneaking out of work early for this. . . .

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A double header would be at RBA, which is right off the Harrison PATH stop, and in walking distance of Newark Penn Station.

I would be up for sneaking out of work early for that as well.

5. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would do my best to come. I'm a SB fan who has never been to a game live (due to the inconvenience of Yurcack for me), but I'm also a RB season ticket holder. That said, the 4:30 start time would definately be a problem. I'd do my best to get out of work early, but there's no guarantee.

I do have to agree with kool-aide on the finacial issues. I realize that this would in part be a recrutng mission to try to get more fans and for fans from the city that can't make the trip to Rutgers, but I'd question what's really in it for Sky Blue. If you're comfortable with the deal then i'll look forward to seeing you there.

6. espihir

espihir New Member

Sep 26, 2008
    DC/PA/NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I went to one of the Freedom/DCU double header's last season and had a great time. The attendance was poor for the WPS game but went up when DCU started and the cost of the ticket was the same of a regular DCU match. While I had a great time watching two stellar games, I don't think it would bring in enough revenue for SBFC to come out even. I'd be suprised if NYRB fan's came early to watch the blues. Though marketing can do anything...I hope you prove me wrong! I will definitely make it out if there is a double header.

Well done on the beer garden! I am very excited about it and know I can get at least 3 more people to come with me based on that alone!:D:D:D

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think that's a great idea. As I've posted before, I would LOVE to see WPS and MLS work together. It's a win-win situation.
    And if this date is some time during mid-summer, kids will be out of school.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I went to the DCU/Fire-Freedom/Red Stars doubleheader game last year in DC. Most of the DCU fans came in just before the DCU/Fire game. I asked some people why the DCU fans didn't come in earlier to watch the WPS game and most of the feedback I got was that DCU fans stayed in the parking lots to tailgate and party because you can't go in and out of the stadium. Cheaper to drink outside then buy the expensive beer in the stadium. Sp maybe catching a buzz before you start jumping up and down is more important to some fans. But I did think there was a decent crowd for the WPS game. It was just that they were dispersed all over the huge RFK stadium.

As far as cost, I don't see nothing wrong with one or two doubleheaders for exposure. I don't think a doubleheader or two will break the bank for iether one. And I'm sure there those here who would say that WPS does not need MLS to validate itself and I agree, but IMO having doubleheaders with MLS only adds credibility to WPS.

I say go for it if the logistics and who gets what money can be worked out. WPS and MLS teams in the same towns should have good working relationships. It's good for the pro game in this country. IMO.

9. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I appreciate all the feedback. We would be looking at a Wednesday afternoon game in mid August. Schools out and we could make it a camp day to bolster attendance. I still don't know if they will work with me on the numbers - but I will see this week.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be great. Obviously the double header would be at Red Bull Park so you guys would finally get to play there.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    altho mid august is a great time to do it, and playing at red bull arena is a great idea, i'm with kool-aide here. the numbers have to work. is a loss on the game to be part of the advertising budget? and is the return on the investment enough? wps needs to be sure to have a good year after the way it has started.

SURVIVAL ABOVE ALL!!

...and thanx for posting. as you can see, we really appreciate it.

12. mangopaco

mangopaco New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Astoria, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GM, Any updates on the possible double-header? The website is selling tickets at Yurcak. Does that mean it didn't work out?

13. Elvis Minaya

Elvis Minaya Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Valparaiso, Chile
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Good question:):)