Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    I agree, those who don't will pay the $20. With the 8pm kickoff it'll be easier for me to take the CTA from Cumberland than taking the Metra, as the last train out of the city is 10:30ish, too tight to get from Soldier to Union Station.

2. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Re: Re: Feeling the love

I had thought about parking and riding myself (probably CTA from Cumberland out by O'hare) but I travel with myself, my wife and three kids at the minimum. I think the costs come out pretty close hauling all those people around and the convenience is less. And more walking too. I think.
    So, parking will work for me!

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yes. Which one depends on which train station.

4. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Re: Re: Feeling the love

Something I often did when I had to drive to the old place was drive to somewhere near an El stop, park for free and take the El to the game. 3 bucks total.

If you plan it, it's not a problem. If you want to tailgate, well, you're gonna pay. Oh well.

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Feeling the love

Tailgating is the thing.

For the '94 WC I took the train in and walked from Union. With a sustenance/gathering stop at Miller's, of course. But those days were totally allocated time-wise to the game. Now I'm not so lucky.

6. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Screw all of this. Let's stay in Naperville...

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Re: Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

I don't know who makes that decision. The park district controls the lots so it probably is their call. There's a story in today's Sun-Times about them raising prices for parking for the museums that surround S.F.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-park11.html

But I would think since the Fire has a contract with the P.D. that it could negotiate that rate. And the Fire are supposed to get a bigger cut of parking and concession profits than in the past, so that's good.

We used to pay $10 in old SF before it went up to $12 something, which was really annoying because it meant having to have change ready or wait to get change when all you want to do is get in and set some shrimp on the barbie and open a few beers.

8. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the bear$ got the money for their "ton of their own money" from the PSL (seat license) that they charged "their" fans. I doubt the Bears owner at the end of the day had to dip too much into their own piggy banks. The fans are paying for it and to with all the increase costs for Fire fans I guess we are paying too.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

I remember Peter Wilt saying the fire has no say in what the parking rates will be.

10. chitrader

chitrader BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2002
    Hell-Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

So why don't we all just relax and wait a few days. It's not like there's a whole lot we can do about it, and there are better things to do, like make fun of the Burn or something.

11. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    anything above 10 bux is absurd.Looks like Ill be parking at cumberland and taking the train in.

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    absurd amount

found out today........$15. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....the good news is 1) that it's much better than the Bears fans are paying and 2) the Fire will split the net revenue.

peter

13. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Well, its not bad. When we left it was already at $12. A 3 dollar increase is really not that bad. At least the Fire will be coming away with half of it. Thanks again Peter for your posts.

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Ok. For $15 I have one request. Figure out a way to get our cars closer to the stadium.

Anyone else get angry parking all the way down at the south end of the south lot, and then walking past thousands of free spots in half empty sections further north.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I was trying to get at with my earlier question: will, in fact, the Fire be getting 1/2 of it?

Then at least you feel like the money is going where you'd like it to go.

16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: absurd amount

Well thats better than I had feared. Now is that for all lots including the north garage?

17. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: Re: Will SF parking be $35 for fire games?

You want to be major league? You want to not play on a college football feild? You're going to pay major league prices. It's still a bit short sighted and awfully high but can't have it both ways.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Are you talking about the $24,000 minimum player salary? ;)

Seriously though, if you look at the cost of bringing a family of four to a Fire game, its becoming less and less of an "affordable family entertainment" option.

For most of us on here that isn't a concern because we are more fanatical about it, so the fact that the $$$ comparison with other sports, Great America, Children's Museum etc. is narrowing or equal to a Fire game is not a big issue.

To grow, however, I think the "affordable" part is important for new fans. It's a big reason why the minor league baseball teams and the Wolves have been successful. The kids get the "event" excitement of professional sports at a fraction of the cost of the major league counterpart.

Of course, the way to keep ticket face values high and grow is to increase the scope and focus of those LaSalle family night packages.

19. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000

10 bucks (TEN) at the HDC. It was what, 5 bucks at the Crew?

And all this to have some dumb a[]b[/b]ss tell me that 'traffic patterns' are keeping me from a lot that is one-quarter full and where I'm meeting up with my tailgate buddies to a lot across the street.

Gawd I hate those people. And it IS highway robbery.

20. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying $15 is cheap but it could have easily been a lot worse.

21. ianfan

ianfan New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    OKC
    I may have complained that it would be an expensive outing to me, but in all honesty, I would pay whatever they asked of me (just as long as I had a MLS team close to home).

My cost to see a game is really crazy. Plus, the closest place for me to go would be Dallas. And who wants to watch them play? Sure I can go when they are playing Chicago(and I do when I can), but the atmosphere is not the same.

So think of it this way. It could be a whole lot worse. You could be living in Oklahoma. :)

22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the south parking lot be open for the FIRE games, in Tribune they said that the south parking fee will be $8.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two south lots both will be open and both will charge $15. The $8 price is only during museum hours until 5:00 pm or earlier.

24. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Re: absurd amount

Well, at least it is not $20. :) However, I really think that the parking prices for our sports teams are insane. I think it is $15 at Comiskey, $11 at Allstate Arena, and who know how much Wirtz and Reinsdorf charge at the UC since I have not been there in nearly three years. In short, anything over $10 is a little excessive, but at least I will have a closer walk to the stadium. ;)

25. DaCrush

DaCrush New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Bridgeview
    Parking Parking

Just an aside to the parking debate, but I recently went to Navy Pier and Paid 18 dollars to park on site for weekend event. $15 . . . . .not all that bad to me really.

DC