Will new MLS rules about Senior Internationals mean more Central Americans playing in US?

Discussion in 'Central Americans Abroad' started by fscat, Dec 11, 2007.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    MLS recently increased their senior international cap limit to 7 or 8 spots, I can't remember exactly. Does this mean we will see more Central Americans playing in MLS? Right now they are only 7 Central Americans playing in MLS. Perhaps with relaxed rules concerning foreign players, MLS clubs will be more willing to pick up players.
    Also on a somewhat related note, why don't more Central Americans play in Mexico? I believe right now they are only 3 in the Primera Division.

2. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    hopefully that makes the other central amercian nations such as ESA, NIC, BELIZE AND OTHER.more stronger.
    And well the Mexican league can knida discrimintive against central amercian nations.

3. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    I wouldn't say that the Mexican League discriminates central american talent, in the 90's the league was pretty open to receive talent from many different places, south, central and north America, Africa and Europe.

But once clubs began to participate on Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana the League began a closer relationship with South American agents and nowdays is pretty rare the player that doesn't come from a Conmebol nation. On first division I can only remember the African Nkong from Atlante and Baloy on Monterrey as the only foreign players on MFL that don't come from a South American country, but even they have experience playing in South America as a prior step for playing on MFL. You could say that having experience playing in South America has become an unwritten requirement to be hired in Mexico.

Another contributing factor is that the second tier circuit has limited its number of foreign players per club to only 2, while the third tier circuit and below don't allow foreing players anymore. This has prevented clubs from hiring players to test them on a lower division first, in turn preventing the arraival of young promising foreign talent.

On the other hand, apparently there would be a new central american face on MFL next year, the papers today mention that Cruz Azul has bought Blas Perez from Hercules of Spain:

http://www.milenio.com/mexico/laaficion/nota.asp?id=579985

4. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting analysis. It makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to write it.