Will Kraft play much longer?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by lufty, Aug 1, 2002.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    What is the chance that Kraft pulls out of MLS at the end of this year or perhaps the year to follow? What would that do for the league. Would Hunt jump at the chance of purchasing the rights to the team and maybe move them to say..... Boston? I would think that they could play in Fenway Park until a new deal was worked out for them to play somewhere else in the area? Like say.... Suffolk Downs? How confident are people that Kraft still wants to play ball?

2. Charlie Armstrong

Mar 7, 2001
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard something?

Or is this like the "Paul Allen should buy a team" threads?

The fact that I haven't heard or read anything about Kraft being unhappy doesn't mean anything, of course, but I would think that there would be a lot of talk about it around here if it were the case.

Charlie in South Jersey

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, the Revolution provide 14+ dates at his new stadium which provide revenue, etc. that otherwise he would not get. I think this actually puts money in Kraft's pocket since he owns the stadium so I don't think he has any thoughts of pulling out of anything.

4. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    He did not sign with the other two investors the TV deal, he does not care how his team does... he lets his son play with it as if it was a toy. It still costs him 45000 dollars each time he turns on the lights and opens the doors, and how would he make money if he had to share it with 2 other owners. If he did make money he would only be entitled to 1/10 of the money since he only owns one team. Chapter 14 stadium is not helping the cause.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    So?
    He told you that?
    and he gets (on average) more than 17k people at $20 per which is more than $340000
    Huh?
    I guess you don't quite understand the ownership structure, do you?
    Huh?

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extremely slim. I'm told that Kraft Sports makes money on the Revolution, even if the league doesn't.
    Not likely. There just isn't another place in Greater Boston for the Revs to play. Nickerson Field is too small, Alumni Stadium is Astroturf, the field at Harvard Stadium wasn't receptive the Breakers' attempts to play there, Fenway Park is virtually out of the question, and building a new stadium in this political climate would take forever.
    Extremely confident.

7. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    Stop with all the BS right now,all NE needs a winning team, fire the English guy ,bring Hirsto by next year and watch New Englanders show up in numbers.

8. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    Steve Nicol is Scottish

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Or is this like the "Paul Allen should buy a team" threads?

This is just like that thread, so really no reason to pay much attention to this one.

The Krafts aren't bailing on the Revs anytime soon.

The Magpie

10. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    You're going to be seeing the Revs playing at CMGI for some time to come, I promise you that.

11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    While it is true that revenue earned from ticket sales goes to the league and probably some additional stadium revenue on food and MLS products like shirts and hats. A large portion of the stadium revenue goes to Kraft because he owns the stadium. At least this is the deal that Hunt gets at CCS and I can't see Kraft getting a different deal from MLS.

12. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    I think it's safe to say that the Krafts are not the same type of owners that Anschutz and Hunt are.
    They(Krafts) don't have any vision or intrest in building the League. They are quite happy using the Revolution as a summer tennant at CMGI. It gives them revenue from 14+ home games and if the league takes off somewhere in the future they may get some TV money also.