Will Israel attack Iran again?

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Nov 10, 2006.

1. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Will Israel attack Iran again?

The answer is clear.
    Nope. Israel alone can't do anything against Iran.
    and USA with all its army spread out can't afford to wage another war.

So that ends the discussion.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Will Israel attack Iran?

There should still be considerable time before they're sitting ducks to take care of Iranian planes pursuing them. In any case, I doubt we'll ever find out.

3. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

So you don't think at all that Israel would be prepared with surface-to-air missiles and those areas that Iran "claims" will be hit, you don't think would be protected against the Shahab missiles. Just becuase Iran can fire a missile does not mean it will reach her target.

4. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005

As far as carriers are concerned, I don't think they need to be completely destroyed. If a drone gets close enough to take pictures then it can drop bombs on its runways, which would make it pretty useless.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Israel does not have the long flight capabilities to hit Iranian planes, especially considering the size of the country. That is impossible technically and from a military standpoint. Any Israeli operation will be a 'surprise' attack taking place at night, dropping ordinances, and then trying to get out of the country quickly. We are talking about at most one or two squadrons of Israeli planes involved.

But I agree. None of this is going to happen. The purpose of Olmert's visit and the ratched up rhetoric is to prevent the US from following the recommendation of those who advise it to seek negotiations with Iran. In that sense, Olmert's visit has been successful as Bush's comments indicate that the US is not ready to make the changes required in its approach to Iran.

If there is any military conflict with Iran, it will involve the US. The rest is propaganda and spin.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Israel is furiously working on a anti missile system that would presumably be able to shoot down the oldest varients of the Shahab 3 missile. The Israelis claim some recent successes in that regard, but their claims are highly dubious. Regardless, and to make sure Israel does not miscalculate, Iran has modified its Shahab 3 missiles and the new varients are not ones that the Arrow missile can counter.

Incidentally, Iran's means of hitting Israeli targets is not confined to the Shahab 3 missiles. Iran has other means at its disposal, including possibly the Kh-55 cruise missiles obtained through the Ukraine. As well as Fateh110 and Zelzal 2 missiles supplied to Hezbollah. The Shahab 3D, including the version which carries multiple warheads as well as the one with cluster munitions, however, will be Iran's main weapon to attack Israel.

7. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Even if it's all true, the minute an Iranian missile lands in Israel, US (unless some crazy unexpectancy happens), would strike Iran, which is why IMO, Iran would not strike back if its nuclear reactors are hit.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Israel has sought and is seeking an explicit guarantee of such nature by the US, including one that states that any Iranian attack on Israel would unleash a nuclear attack against Iran by the US. The purpose of this guarantee would precisely be to make Iran hesitant in retaliating to an Israeli strike. The US has so far not gone as far as the Israelis have suggested, although the Bush administration has stated generically that the US will come to Israel's defense in case of an attack by Iran.

Iran has said it will retaliate to any attacks within seconds, percisely because it wants to prevent the US from having the time to issue its 'warnings' and 'threats' after a potential attack. Hence, Iran claims it has given pre-authorization for such launches to its revolutionary guard commanders, allowing them to strike Israel in response immediately without the need to get political authorization.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What makes you such an expert on what Israel is asking the US? I want to see some proof of this.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After this summer I don't Israel should be too worried about any of iran's missiles. They showed this summer that they can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet away.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're kidding right? Do you know anything about telescopic lenses? Or even the range that a drone can take pictures from? They wouldn't get anywhere near enough to the carriers to drop any bombs. Besides, I think you should do some research on the USS Forestal and the bombs that blew up on her flight deck.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Except for the missiles that hit an Israeli warship and those that hit Israeli tanks, no other 'missiles' were used by Hezbollah. What Hezbollah launched against Israel were rocket systems (MLRS), which unlike missiles are unguided and in any case did not carry a major payload.

As for what Israel is seeking from the US, that is no secret. Read the Jerusalem Post and other Israeli publications before Olmert headed to Washington.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

I'm convinced IM terribly underestimates Israel's capabilities including its long-range aerial strike capabilities, but one thing is for certain: Iran would strike back in a big way if attacked. Let's not kid ourselves. This would be a very costly war, regardless of the outcome.

Given the totally inept leadership of Olmert (and Bush), not to mention the bizarre leaders of the Islamic Republic, I don't know what to expect.

14. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Like i said before, there's not a chance a war is gonna happen.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

This is downright silly.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah one missile hit a ship, and didn't even sink it.
    Another missile fired at the same time hit a civlian ship and sank it. 1 for 2 with more civilians killed then enemies. Something to be proud of there. :rolleyes:

I have yet to see any credible reports on tanks destroyed by those missiles. As for what else hezbollah fired, those katusha rockets are not what I referred too. Don't play ignorant, you know full well that hezbollah fired zezel missiles, really badly too, into Israel. Terrible accuracy. Oh as for MLRS systems, while I understand that irans are unguided, the US has guided MLRS now.

For the last, lets see the links and the stories.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Hezbollah never fired any Zelzal missiles into Israel. That is patently false.

Hezbollah fired MLRS systems, including some with longer range, known as Fajr rockets. That is all well established and even a cursory research will enlighten on that subject, as well as the effectiveness of Hezbollah's missiles against Israeli tanks.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? I have to disagree with that, and if I feel like looking it up, I seem to recall even you making claims about them firing that missile.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Might be silly, but I read that is something the Israelis are seeking. I should mention that Bush, already in May, did give Olmert some vague guarantees of sorts, saying that the US would come to Israel's defense in case of any Iranian attacks. Since Iran is not going to attack Israel except in self-defense and/or in retaliation, the purpose of that guarantee was to basically try to tie down Iran's hands in that regard.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well that is what allies do. They help each other. :rolleyes:

21. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I take it; if Iran attacks Israel. If Israel attacks Iran; USA might not help. It all depends on the build up... I just don't like any country trying to pimp USA. Call me whatever Dems da brakes...

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Your memory is failing you. All reports clearly indicated that Iran had put pressure on Hezbollah not to employ the Zelzal (and Fateh110) missiles, and Hezbollah never used those systems. If they had, Tel Aviv would have been the target.

Hezbollah used a variety of rockets, including versions of the Fajr MLRS. There is a world of difference between Zelzal and Fateh110 solid fuel guided missiles, and Fajr MLRS systems. I have already explained those differences before and you can learn about them doing a simple google search.
    [​IMG]
    Fateh110 Tactical Ballistic Missile, possibly supplied to Hezbollah but never used by Hezbollah
    [​IMG]
    Zelzal tactical ballistic missile (definitely supplied to Hezbollah, but never used by Hezbollah)
    [​IMG]
    Farj-5 MLRS, which is the most 'advanced' rocket Hezbollah used, among other varients of the Fajr MLRS rockets (Fajr 2 and Fajr3). It is an unguided rocket, with limited payload and far more limited range and lacking any real accuracy.

23. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Seconds won't be enough as US will know precisely what's going to happen when in case Israel attacks.

24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

IDF destroyed all Farj or Zelzal rockets Hezbollah had within the first few days as well as the Iranian guard soldiers who were there to train or use those missiles. It has been proven and shown many times.

25. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right! I wonder. Why those rockets weren't fired? Thats the question. You don't arm country and not use them. That aspect did wonders of Israel. For sure and communications must have been a no go...