Will Hertha BSC repeat last season or not?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by ttt_brooks, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ttt_brooks

ttt_brooks New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Alberta Canada
    This is a call to all german soccer fans to tell the world what they think. Will Hertha BSC finally use their potential and have a little success or will they repeat last season and barely escape relegation?
    Oh and if you just want to leave posts about how every team except Bayern sucks don't bother. I think everyone is a little sick of hearing about it (and just so you know, you are so full of it your eyes should be brown).

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well...I'm a die hard Bayern fan but I've always been fond of Hertha Berlin and have been surprised by their lack of success in the Bundesliga in the last 3 seasons. Frankly, I do think Hertha will do better than they did last season, but that doesn't mean they will reach a Uefa cup spot. BUT, the league this year can be pretty unpredictable, Wolfsburg is having a great start to the season, Munich just when I thought they got their act together, lose at home so it's all up in the air.

3. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Hertha is on the up, 2 wins in a row and now that Friedrich and Basturk are available they should be able to stabilize in the top 6.
    If they have some money they should sign a center forward in the winter brake. But only if they can get someone who is clearly better than the average they have now.

BTW what does the Hertha chant stand for , it sounds like HAAA OO EEE
    Hertha BSC?

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    It's Ha-Ho-He. I guess it's because of the rhyme (in German of course, for the English speakers among you :D).

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Why do they sing the ‘nuhr nach hause’ song?

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Please don't ask for the meaning behind German soccer chants, most of them don't make sense to me either ;).

As for "nur nach hause", it basicaly means that you'll celebrate that victory ("we won't go home"). I don't know if there is some specific connection to Hertha BSC, but there is this Hertha song by Frank Zander (semi-famous during the 80s, one of my heroes in elementary school :D) where it is a part of.

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    OK, but if they don’t want to go home shouldn’t it be nur nicht nach hause :D

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    They would ruin their chorus ;). "Wir gehen überall hin, nur nicht nach hause" doesn't sound that great.

9. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Actually it is:

"Nur nach Hause, nur nach Hause, nur nach Hause......gehen wir nicht!"

That's German grammar as you can place "nicht" (=not) at the end of the sentence. ;-)

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Yeah, I know that, just didn’t know how it ends.

You just can’t beat the German sentence construction

11. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The first thing we learnt about German in school is it does not always have to corespond or make sense in english;)

Hertha once qualified for the UEFA cup. They got talent and if they get things together they might do pretty well. hard part is getting them going.

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, maybe it's just me but i always thought that "nur nach Hause gehen wir nicht" sounds quite stupid. I don't care if it's correct or not ;).