Will He Stay, Will He Go .. Where He Ends I Do Not Know - The Tranfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, May 18, 2008.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think were in for a tumultuous off-season.

We desperately need some depth, but there's rumors of a massive "fire-sale" and even Dunne wants out if the rumors are true.

On the other hand .. we have been linked to some very very very talented players. Ronaldhino and Dos Santos from Barcalona, Vagner Love and João Alves de Assis Silva from CSKA Moscow. I think we also need a right-winger. I desperately wanted Modric, but Tottenham have already secured his transfer.

There are a few players that i think will leave, i've heard rumors of Stephen Ireland to Sunderland and i think Vassell, Sun Jihai and players of that ilk will leave in the post-season.

We need to work out whether St Sven is staying or leaving .. that will have a huge effect on the kind of players we can get next year. Sven is a great coach no doubt about it .. But are there any better coaches in the world. Yes, so we can do better. I would love him to stay .. but if Thaksin wants results then we could see him leaving .. But the UEFA cup slot may save him..

Thoughts ?

Any rumors that seem juicy post here.

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Something interesting i found on Wikipedia.

It's only wikipedia... But i can dream :D

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Manchester City are understood to be lining up a move for Espanyol's right-sided Argentine star Pablo Zabaleta, with his club looking for around £15m. (clubcall.com, 1340 BST)

Manchester City have offered £12m for Zenit St Petersburg striker Andrei Arshavin. (The Sun)

Manchester City have stepped up their attempt to lure Luiz Felipe Scolari to the club, with another approach to the Brazilian coach, but their £3.2m-a-year offer falls short of the £3.9m Scolari is thought to be holding out for. (Times)

Speaking of Pablo's ... I always loved Pablo Aimar, with Zaragoza going down maybe we could sign him .. Anyone else got some "favorite players" we should go for ?

4. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arshavin, huh? Okay, I'm up for that. I like his creativity.

Although I wonder if it would mean the end for Bojinov.

5. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    I'd like to think that we will get the much needed players, but, without the manager's position (SGE or another) being announced, everything is just speculation. It could be that Thaksin has already agreed a contract with another manager and that manager is now talking to/seeking his new signings, hence the rumours - who knows. I'm sure the players would appreciate knowing what their future career options are and soon, so if they want to leave, they still have the opportunity of signing for decent clubs. It's a shameful way to treat the players, the manager and the fans.

6. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
  7. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably the worst thing that could happen to the club.

I just hope it isn't like when Roberto Ayala left Valencia .. the defence fell apart.

8. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We have the manager to lead us to Europe now in Mark Hughes, i wonder whether our transfer objectives will differ ?

Ronaldhino at $200,000 a week has been touted (an astronomical amount) and Jo has still been touted around the traps.

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  10. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hope not.

He plays much in the same way as Elano (different style perhaps, but same position) and we already have Geo and Ireland. Unless i'm getting my Japanese players mixed up.

11. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Central defender Richard Dunne may be prepared to reconsider his future at Manchester City after the arrival of Mark Hughes as manager. (Press Association)

Manchester City will sign Brazilian pair Jo, who plays up front for CSKA Moscow, and Barcelona playmaker Ronaldinho. (Various)

Man City owner Thaksin Shinawatra also insists defender Micah Richards will not be allowed to leave the club. (Daily Mail)

Mmmm *mouth drools*.

Now we just need to make it happen.

12. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Also ..

Mark Hughes will have a £40m or £50m transfer kitty - depending on who you believe - at his disposal after taking over as Manchester City boss. (Various)

Hughes has also been told he needs to finish in the top six next season. (Various)

Interesting if true .. It isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination.

13. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, thanks for the updates.

Jo and Ronaldinho... Seems unlikely at best.

14. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jo I think is doable. CSKA didn't perform up to their standards last season (and they're not doing all that well in the domestic table right now, either).

I just wonder what a Jo acquisition means for Bojinov, for Benjani.

It's as if Thaksin has decided "all-Brazil, all the time". Elano, Jo, Ronaldinho, Giovanni.

Just keep the backline intact. Please.

15. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is Samaras will leave the club?

16. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    Hope he leaves - we don't need him on the payroll - make room for the new signings, bigger salaries. :eek:

17. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Celtic are pretty keen on him, I doubt he will remain on our payroll.

18. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Balckburn back line was filled with a parade of losers over the years... Ball, Richards, Dunne, Corluka, Onuaha... will be an instant improvement from his days at Blackburn. Now throw in Big Ron and Hughes killer instinct for attacking savvy players.... This all makes for a wonderful recipe for a delicious Uefa cup. You heard it here first. Also you can yell at me, if we get knocked out of the first matchup.

19. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Excerpts from Mark Hughes press Conference.

"Ronaldinho is one of the greatest players that has ever played and we are committed to bringing the best players to this football club," said Gary Cook.

"There is competition, we understand that, but it is well documented we have gone down a certain path and we are at a positive point.

"You can never guarantee anything in football but Mark Hughes would like to see Ronaldinho here, I would like to see him here and I know the fans would like to see him here as well."

And he also confirmed the club was poised to break its transfer record to sign another Brazilian, Jo, from CSKA Moscow for £20m.

"We had some targets prior to Mark being appointed manager because there was a timing issue but we did say to everyone we were holding off," said Cook.

"Now we have spoken to Mark about it you will see Jo at Manchester City."

Hughes refused to be drawn on any transfer targets, but Shinawatra has made it clear he would like to sign Ronaldinho.

"Whatever the club in your heart, you would want to see this player in England, wouldn't you?", he told the Daily Mail.

"It is not a risk. Sponsors will contribute. It will not damage our wage structure. Garry and Pairoj, my chief advisor, they are taking care of this transfer. I am very excited.

"I am 59 next birthday, so I am not a man who can wait for many years to see my dreams come true."

He added: "I am hearing good things about his hunger. I have spoken to his brother (and agent).

"Ronaldinho wants the new challenge, the chance to play his best football again, to return to the days when he was really, really famous.

"The magic is still in his boots. Let us hope we can bring him."

------------------------------------------

Reading that .. *drools again*

This may be the move that moves Man City from a Good, mid-table club to a Great club ..

Let's wait and see but i almost fell out of my seat in delight when i heard this.

20. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think they could work in tandem well.

Boj is a bigger, bulkier and strong yet athletic CF who has immense talent and finishing prowess.

Jo from what i've seen on Youtube is also a finisher, athletic and pacy with a penchant for making the impossible look easy.

They could quite easily cover each other's weaknesses and form a deadly strike partnership.

Yet to be seen though.

I think Benjani will be on his way out though .. we will see.

21. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what the price tag is on Jo and Ronaldinho? Also, Sun Jihai is leaving, rumour has it that he's going to Fullham. I will miss him. If it weren't for him, I would never have became a Manchester City fan...........even after he leaves, I will still remain a City fan.

22. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Theres no price tag that i have heard of on Ronaldhino so far, but the rumours are $18-$20,000,000 for Jo.

23. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Jo will be more than £15m, it could be this fee plus extra bonuses but the reported figure is around £18m. Ronaldinho will cost around £25m, some say £20m, some say 30 so going in-between there would be a safe bet. I expect at least one Blackburn player to join us following Hughes to the club, its a safe bet to say he'll be after them and Bentley would be perfect for our right-mid position but he may he holding out for a move to Liverpool.

24. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The way I see it, Ronaldinho is waiting to see if we get Jo, and then he'll more likely to follow. What's killing us is that we're not in the Champion's League yet. I'm not sure how content these players are playing in the UEFA cup.

Elano's working hard to convince Ronaldinho. So we'll see...............

I wish we didn't have so many useless strikers. What are we going to do? They're not worth much, especially Castillo, Vassel, Mpenza.

25. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Castillo has a LOT, repeat a LOT of potential.

He's nowhere near the full package right now, but he could be a star. Has everything to be a match-winner.