Will Foxboro get WC qualifyer?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Cambuur, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Best chance is CR the first wknd in June.

Otherwise, US fans might get outnumbered on a weeknight in a large venue.

No Mex, no Guat--that's asking for trouble and serious outnumbering.

Panama will be during the Pats season.

I keep thinking T&T going to the HDC and Panama to Dallas.

CR just seems the most likely.

2. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    god, after being there for us v hon '01....there's a million and one reasons why the usoc should never put games here (mainly due to the city employees running the asylum over there). i hope this 'new reason' finally makes it come true.

3. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    The 2001 Jamaica game was during the Pats season, too -- they'd played 4-5 NFL games on that grass already. Another fall qualifier in Foxboro is more than plausible.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    fwiw, tom brady was asked to make comments about the field on d+c a couple days ago. when asked about resodding....he started off by saying basically there's 'no chance in heck' that thing gets resodded this season (well, until the league 'makes them' during playoffs). the way he couched it certainly made me feel like he knew something. either not very confident about the groundskeepers and/or not confident about the krafts spending $ to do it. a couple sentences later he somewhat tempered it by saying they're used to playing this bad surface and that they somewhat 'like it'.

it was interesting. maybe my own biases regarding kraft as an overall cheapskate let me to certain conclusions.....but, tom's tone and words led me to believe he sorta knows what's going on over there.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This same discussion was going on with the Pats people at the end of last season as well. They like the field well chewed up. What they want and what we need for a reasonable playing surface are miles apart. I'm betting they will need to resod before next season.

But the problem under discussion was what if we were scheduled to play a WCC after a rain drenched MLS match? I guess they could play but it sure wouldn't be soccer as we know it :( Since we now have them in pointyball season best they stick to using SSS.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What was the capacity of Foxboro Stadium?

USMNT at Foxboro Stadium
    57,407 4/20/97 WCQ vs Mexico
    53,193 11/16/97 WCQ vs El Salvador
    51,273 6/1/91 vs Ireland
    40,483 10/7/01 WCQ vs Jamaica
    37,652 6/9/93 vs England
    31,211 6/20/01 WCQ vs Trinidad & Tobago
    25,332 6/9/96 vs Ireland
    22,578 6/11/95 vs Nigeria
    18,334 8/16/00 WCQ vs Barbados
    16,319 6/6/00 vs Ireland

USWNT at Foxboro Stadium
    50,484 6/27/99 WWC vs North Korea
    35,462 9/12/98 vs Mexico
    30,564 9/4/99 vs Ireland
    20,123 7/3/00 vs Brazil
    16,386 6/27/00 vs Brazil

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one was an oversell on a reconfigured Foxboro for the season opener.

With the corner seats out, the capacity was lower than the NFL capacity. I've seen the NFL capacity reported as 60,293.

IIRC, the "Soccer Capacity" was 24,871, but that number never had any relationship to anything.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that MLS will play a 32-game schedule next year, so for season-ticket holders, that's 16 home games, 1 playoff game, and 3 additional games in the package. I'm guessing a Gold Cup game, the All Star game we almost got in 2004, and a WC qualifier. Or maybe I'm just dreaming....

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Jeremy, I think you're thinking of El Rey Mexican Grill right across the street from Invesco. If not, I stand corrected. I've never been to Seventh and Water but always appreciate good Mexican food so I'll go check it out.

Also, Denver for Mexico? NO. You would have a somewhat friendlier LA Coliseum, with not as many bottles of whatever being thrown at US fans. Crowd would be about 72K - 3K in favor of Mexico.

11. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    This is the same 'cheapskate' who, if I remember correctly, funded that stadium with mainly his own money? If you were to invest into say a team based professional bowling league, or into something else that was somewhat of a new idea in this country, you would be pretty relucatant as well to keep investing more and more money into something that just drained on your assets.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how. It's not owned by an MLS owner, it's got FieldTurf, and it has permanent football lines.

I'd bet on it's being in Columbus again. A large capacity isn't important. This is a World Cup qualifier, not some stupid friendly to pay the bills. And in fact, Columbus' small capacity would be better in that it would be easier for the USSF to sell the place out without too many opposing fans' getting tickets.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Belichick prefers it ripped up. Anything that makes your home field different and gives you an edge in preparing for it makes for additional home field advantage.

If Belichick had his way, the field would always be a mess. But last year, the NFL made them fix it up after a point. I'm sure they'll do the same again this year.

Talking about lousy fields, I've always felt that, in general, players developed in other countries are MUCH better on bad fields. If you look at what kids play on growing up around the world compared to what kids in the US play on, it's night and day. Even in the UK, the kids play on dirt or some kind of hard-packed surface.

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be right, I yp.yahooed for mexican restaurants and grabbed the nearest one because I couldn't remember the name.

Denver has hosted a game against Mexico before...US win on a Mathis goal in a friendly before 48,476, predominantly Mexican partisans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/2002/world_cup/news/2002/04/03/mexico_us_ap/

For some reason, everything I type this week is wrong, so feel free to fact check this as well.

I'll let you know when I seem to be getting everything right again.

15. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland, Seattle, Houston, Meadowlands, these things can be overcome.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I seem to recall seeing something that said something to the effect, that the U.S. sites for the hexagonal will largely influenced by the opinion of Bruce Arena.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Othen than Portland (and that was back in WCQ for 98), none of these cities has hosted a qualifier in the Hex in recent memory. So that should tell ya something ...

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI ... the field is being resodded right now, and should be all set in time for the next Pats game. From what I understand, this is done by the Pats, not NFL mandated. This time.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Hopefully they'll do this again after the last game of the season as well to benefit that other team that plays at Gillette Stadium. Somehow, this wasn't done a few years back and the field resembled the old Navy bombing range on Vieques.

20. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston's hosted Mexico qualifiers this year (not in the hex, so I'm not contradicting you), however, they all have hosted large friendlies.

I just don't buy the idea that US Soccer is somehow tied to playing home qualifiers in stadiums owned by MLS investor/operators. US Soccer and MLS are independent entities, and USS has shown previously that their major concerns are maximizing revenue and making sure they get to travel somewhere far from Soccer House.

Will LA get at least one game? Very likely

Will Columbus get at least one game? Probably

Will Frisco get a game? I assume so, if their stadium is ready.

That still leaves three games, and I think that there are plenty of options out there. Given that DC is going to be a baseball stadium pretty much the entire year, I think Salt Lake, Denver, and maybe KC and Seattle all have fair chances of picking up a hex game this year. Certainly no better or worse than New England.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From what I'm hearing, some folks at the USSF are underwhelmed with the recent crowds in Columbus, and Crew Stadium may get a pass this year.

As long as Sunil is working for the Revs, I can't see you guys getting shut out - unless, of course, you're a major site for the Gold Cup. Either way, you guys should get plenty of international action.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why bother when most of the revenues are going into the pockets of the University of Utah?

Incidentally, Reliant Stadium in Houston usually has a grass field. However, it is in the form of the grassy tiles similar to the ones that used to be at the Swamp, and those tiles are removed from January to July to recover and regenerate, and to leave the stadium floor bare for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to use for a couple of weeks in March. (That might sound amusing, but the rodeo is a big yearly deal in Houston. In fact, the rodeo helped finance Reliant Stadium's construction.) Because of this, the Houston Texans apparently felt that it was more cost effective to lay down a temporary grass field than to move the tiles back in for the USA-Mexico game.

23. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes you feel better, I'm happy to cede the crown of "firsthand knowledge of places the US national team does not ever play" to you Dustin.

24. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Please take this with a grain of salt*

Yesterday, I called the Revolution ticket office because Im thinking about getting season tix again and while I was chatting with the Rep, World Cup Qualifiers came up and he said the Revolution are working on getting 2 qualifiers. This may mean nothing as he may have been trying to sell me on the value of the season tickets or perhaps he's in the know... He said he did not know which games.

However one thing to consider is that Foxboro has hosted 2 games in the last 2 Hex Cycles:
    1997:
    Mexico
    El Salvador

2001:
    T&T
    Jamaica

For supporters of the Kraft Conspiracy Theory, this could add further support for your argument.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As long as Sunil Gulati works for Revs and serves on the USSF, I don't think you'll have to worry about going too long between MNT games. I would expect to see the Gold Cup return to Foxboro this summer at the very least.