Will Fifa ever have the best soccer game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PassionOfTheFoot, Aug 4, 2002.

1. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, there has been a lot of critisism saying that Fifa has arcadey gameplay and isn't realistic and so on.......Well I was just wondering if EA Sports will ever make a Fifa game that is better then say.......ESPN MLS Extratime, World Tour Soccer, or even Pro Evolution Soccer. Fifa 2001 was terrible, Fifa 2002 was a million times better than 2001, but still not great. 2002 Fifa World Cup was better then Fifa 2002, and I think that maybe by the year 2006, Fifa will possibly have the best soccer game around. What do you guys think? Is Fifa always gonna be 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th best? Is Fifa the best game around right now?

2. BlueMovie FC

BlueMovie FC Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    Ohio
    well maybe, this year they are supposedly making it even better. You are right, Fifa 2001 was basically unplayable but FIFA2002 was a lot of fun...for a few minutes at least until it became broing. the MLS Extratime series is now done with, but as I've reported here (my uncle works for sega) they are making a new soccer game with MLS teams and it has the potential (based on thier other sports games) to be the best soccer game ever made.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No they won't.

Winning Eleven 6 right now is BAR NONE the best soccer game on any platform (except for SWOS =)).

The animations/movemetns/physics in FIFA are so limiting compared to the we/pes series, you tend to score the exact same goal multiple times, something that rarely happens if at all in kceT's games.

I know this is discussed elsewhere but it's turned into a flame war, but MLS Extra time is NOT the same as winning eleven/pes series, it's made my KCEH (i.e. the Hawaii division of Konami), while the other and better series is made by KCET (i.e. the Tokyo division). While obviuosly similar in mechanics and look, they just aren't the same, which really blows my mind whey they would attempt to rework and end up crippling an excellent product at another company, instead of simply change the graphics/translate...

a good timeline of how all the games relate can be found here.

http://issextreme.com/timeline/timeline.html

4. revfan11

revfan11 Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Fifa 2003 Fact Sheet

Well, according to this fact sheet, Fifa should be better, I sure hope so. Here's a link:

http://www.sgn.cc/soccer/fifa_2003/preview.shtml

Although I really hope Winning Eleven 6 or Pro Evolution Soccer will be released in the Americas.

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Fifa 2003 Fact Sheet

How can a fact sheet show a game to be better? Sure it's got a prettier presentation (the graphics aren't even ahead game wise anymore), and there are many more teams (something I really which would be found in the we/pes series), but other then that... move along, nothing to see here.

6. konami can make soccer game much better than ea. that's for sure

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy