Will Fall 2020 sports play in the Spring of 2021?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ping, Jul 17, 2020.

1. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I don’t get a vote or a say but I’d rather have a spring season More than a stupid conference only or pull the plug after 6 games fall season.

start early March and ncaas begin mid May. That’s a substantial season hopefully with a vaccine or competent federal leadership (lol) guiding us.

then transition in fall of 2021 with mid September start date, one game a week until thanksgiving covering non conference.
    Mid March of 2022 conference play begins with an early May ncaa tournament.

one game a week. Full year of soccer. An injury doesn’t kill your season. Better travel schedule and better quality of games.

this is my dream and it’s all i have right now. Lol.

ping and FreshPow repped this.
  2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not a dream for seniors who are eying the nwsl draft especially with expansion

socalsoccer23 and ping repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #28 Cliveworshipper, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    there has been no trustworthy vaccine for a virus developed that fast. The MOST optimistic timeline in April was 18 months. That’s fall 2021 sometime. They have been working on an AIDS vaccine for 20 years with no result.
    Any predictions of an earlier vaccine that actually works is election year bs. If a vaccine did come out, it would be a year before we would know if it worked.

The The competent leadership will start in January at best or in 2025. March is out of the realm of reality.

from a Ford heath system article April 18.
    when I was a kid the polio vaccine was developed in the Soviet Union and the US by drs Koprowski and Jonás Salk starting in 1950. Salk began in 1952. It took more than two years for Salk to develop his. First he tested with his own kids. Trials started in 1955 on a mass scale. It turned out the vaccine made by Cutter labs CAUSED polio where it was vaccinated. It wasn’t until 1960 I got my vacíne with a massive national campaign in schools, then two years Later we got the Sabin vacine because Salk’s didn’t work on all polio.

more than ten years on the last pandemic.

4. ntxsage

ntxsage Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hell of a lot has changed in medicine, science and pharm tech since 1950. The profit potential is too massive for big pharma to do anything other than produce a vaccine in record time. They're already deep into clinical trials with 20+ vaccine candidates, and another large contingent of therapeutics are being tested for treating the covid seriously ill. Plenty of signs to be optimistic we'll be in a much better place come spring.

soccerfanalways and ytrs repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #30 Cliveworshipper, Jul 22, 2020
    Yes, a lot has gone on since 1950. I can show other NIH charts that the average vacine even now takes an average of 10 years and costs 500 million to develop on a normal timeline. And that doesn’t include the time and money to vaccinate a quarter billion people. Even the fastest drug being developed right now for Covid is in stage 1 to answer the question “ will it kill me if I inject myself”
    They haven’t even started a trial to see if a drug works.

and as our dr Zervos points out, if a vacine came out before October 2021 it would beat the record for fastest vacine ever developed.

is it possible? Sure. Anyhing is posible.

is likely? No. I has not been done before. Is so unlikely drug companies are lobbying for liability waivers on any vacine produced and distributed without proper trials.

Would you stake you university endowments on it from parents of athletes who died? No way in hell

6. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    unless someone in big Pharma already knew about covid before it hit and already had a drug ready to go. . . .doo doo doo doo conspiracy theory!

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Polio wasn't really a pandemic. It was endemic.

HeadSpun repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #33 Cliveworshipper, Jul 22, 2020

A distinction without a difference. a pandemic is defined by Webster as a disease widespread over a country or the World.

in 1952 there were 58,000 cases in the US alone and they weren’t regionalized. Case did not go down until widespread immunizations.
    Other regions of the World were harder hit. We don’t know how hard because many cases were in third world countries with no record keeping.
    But we do know that it wasn’t eliminated until a vaccination campaign worldwide in 1988. So it spread in other parts of the World. If you are keeping score, that was the Reagan administration.

meets the pandemic definition. Covid-19 meets the epidemic definition here in my county.

From https://intermountainhealthcare.org...pandemic-an-epidemic-endemic-and-an-outbreak/

Let’s start with basic definitions:

• AN EPIDEMIC is a disease that affects a large number of people within a community, population, or region.
    • A PANDEMIC is an epidemic that’s spread over multiple countries or continents.
    • ENDEMIC is something that belongs to a particular people or country.
    • AN OUTBREAK is a greater-than-anticipated increase in the number of endemic cases. It can also be a single case in a new area. If it’s not quickly controlled, an outbreak can become an epidemic.

9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Endemic was a bad word choice. The sense I was after was that it was permanent everywhere and outbreaks were expected every year when the weather favored its transmission.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Thats a good thing to bring up. How will the next draft work when seniors or juniors didn't even play for the scouts. Nobody eligible?

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a psychological process dubbed the planning fallacy. It describes plans and forecasts that:

1. Are unrealistically close to best-case scenarios; and

2. Could be improved by consulting the statistics of similar cases.
    Planning that there will be a safe vaccine that will have lasting effectiveness, in record time, and that it will be applied to enough people in the US -- and worldwide as necessary -- to make it effective, again in record time, is a good example of the planning fallacy.

The fallacy does not mean that it cannot happen. What it means is that it is ignorant to plan on it happening.

[Thank you Daniel Kahneman, psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in economics!]

ping and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #37 Cliveworshipper, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Ok, so the same as what we so far know of the Corona virus.

so far the corona virus is permanent, regardless what our commander in Chief says. We don’t even know if getting means you can’t get it again. We also don’t know if it’s seasonal yet since the virus has only seen two seasons.
    Looking at the case curves in this country and South America, maybe it’s a warm weather disease.

I’m not sure Polio was seasonal. It might have been expressed in warm weather. That doesn’t mean you could spread or contract it in colder weather. I know it wasn’t in tropical climates. I lived in one.
    And even if it was seasonal, if it recurs it falls under the pandemic and epidemic umbrella until it’s cured.

13. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It may be mid to late September but there will be college woso this fall. Take it to the bank*

*-unless the NCAA comes out and cancels fall championships, which they won’t.

ping repped this.
  14. ntxsage

ntxsage Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tons of inaccuracies and dubious spin here in this post and in many of your others on this topic.

No Polio was not a pandemic, and to compare its vaccine timeline to a globally destructive pandemic the likes of which hasnt been seen in 100 years is a stretch.

Yes billions have gone into HIV/AIDS research, but to spin it as resulting in naught is disingenuous given HIV patients now live normal lives with medication, and the modern infrastructure developed to fight HIV has ENABLED the scientific and pharm community to pivot so quickly to develop covid vaccines and therapeutics.

It's flat out wrong to suggest there are only stage 1 trials in play when this progress has been widely publicized. The scale and investment scope of covid research, across industry and government, throughout US, Europe and Asia is UNPRECEDENTED, and is no way comparable to Polio nor "average vaccine development" timelines.

Attached is a screenshot from NY Times "Coronavirus Vaccines Tracker" as of July 22.

Attached Files:

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    outsiderview repped this.
  17. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article:

"Lujan Grisham does not have administrative power to ban or restrict NCAA sports at New Mexico and New Mexico State."

But from New Mexico university web site "The UNM Board of Regents is composed of seven members who are appointed by the Governor of New Mexico with the consent of the Senate, for staggered terms of six years except for the student regent who is appointed for a two-year term."

New Mexico State - The board is made of up 5 persons appointed by the governor of New Mexico with the consent of the senate.

The governor may have the power to tell the schools what to do.

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I’m sure. But if they do tell the colleges they can’t play fall sports will they reimburse them for the lost revenue?

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they reimburse all the businesses that have been shut down and all the employees who have been laid off? The answer to your question and these is easy: No.

All of these are going to have to pay the price of what may end up having been the most massive screw up by the federal government, a large number of state governments, and a bunch of deluded individuals in our nation’s history.

uncchamps2012, McSkillz, ytrs and 2 others repped this.
  20. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not soccer but interesting quote from Nebraska AD before tomorrow's NCAA BOG meeting

The 2020 NCAA volleyball tournament — and Final Four at the CHI Health Center — could get canceled Friday. If it happens, Moos said, "There's some talk about moving the fall sports other than football into the spring. I'd be in favor of that."

ytrs and ping repped this.
  21. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    NCAA board of governors meets tomorrow. Some expect them to cancel all fall championships (which is everything but FBS football, which is independent). Of course, conferences would still be able to do whatever they please.

My prediction is that they will table the discussion until their next meeting August 4, but we will see. FBS football oversight committee sent a letter basically begging them to consider waiting today as the momentum was going towards cancellation/postponement of fall championships

ping repped this.
  22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In response to the question posed by this thread, it is looking unlikely to me that Fall sports will be played in the Spring. Coaches may well want to do it, but from what I am seeing there is a good chance Athletic Directors will say no. It will be very difficult from a facilities standpoint. It will be even more complicated from a safety standpoint than playing in the Fall, since it will mean more cats to herd. And schools -- and their athletics departments -- already are very stressed financially.

Thus I think the choice that really is being made now is not a choice between Fall sports and postponing them to later in the school year. Rather, it is between Fall sports and canceling them for the school year. And, again from what I am seeing, there is a very good chance there will not be increases in the numbers of allowed scholarships, which will create an interesting dynamic to say the least if Fall sports are canceled for the entire school year. I think this puts the reluctance for most schools and conferences and the NCAA simply to say no Fall sports in a more real context.

ping repped this.
  23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks, Tom. Where are getting the notion that scholarships won't be increased? I have a contact in the Virginia AD office and she says that they expect to be able to honor all scholarships if the fall season is cancelled.

ping and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    There doesn’t need to be an increase to honor all nli’s ...yet. The crunch comes a year from now if current players get another year of eligibility.

ping repped this.
  25. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    That has been my question as I watch this play out from the cheap seats. What happens to my daughters (2021) NLI this Fall? Assuming of course it even get's sent out this Fall.