Will Fall 2020 sports play in the Spring of 2021?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ping, Jul 17, 2020.

1. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Several conferences indicate there are no 2020 fall sports and they intend to play those seasons in the Spring of 2021. I think that trend continues over the next several weeks.

E.g. A-10 noted today: The league intends to conduct a competitive schedule for the fall sports in the 2021 spring semester. Details on the rescheduling of contests and championships will be announced at a later date.

Assuming more conferences postpone seasons, do you think we will actually have games by the Spring of 2021?

If no, when do you predict games will resume? E.g. Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022
    If yes, will they be as close to "normal" as pre-pandemic play? E.g. spectators, air travel, etc

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  2. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I am just a parent of a future college athlete (2021 Commit) so I don't have the inside knowledge of many on this board, but I think all of this delayed start, conference only, moving competition to the spring talk is nothing but lip service from the schools and conferences, telling everyone what they really want to hear. In reality, Fall and likely Winter seasons will be canceled, and focus will turn to the Spring. That is when the best shot at a return to normalcy will occur. I hope I am wrong, but that is how I am reading the tea leaves.

Cliveworshipper and ping repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve compared the events of 1917-1920 to what is now happening. With the exception that it was better managed 100 years ago, it’s pretty much the same.

the NCAA will try to keep basketball for the 2021 March madness because $7 Billion is on the line, but I think the end of that hope will play out in slow motion like a Mauna Kea lava flow. Slow nut inexorable.

blissett and ping repped this.
  4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a prior article on the Ivy League's move:

"Football hasn't been decided yet if it would be moved to the spring, but logistically, I don't know how that would work," an Ivy League source told CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. "... You can't move all the sports to the spring; the logistics don't work. The soccer field is the lacrosse field. (bold added) The scheduling would be a nightmare."

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Back to normal? It's gonna take a vaccine.

That puts us at fall 2021 season. And that's presuming that the vaccine actually works. Which will be hard to know because the rush to get one means that testing, somewhere, is going to be abbreviated.

6. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Could someone put together a comprehensive list of all the schools/conferences that have already announced they are not playing this fall? Thanks in advance!

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far ....

Conferences not playing:

America East
    Atlantic 10
    Ivy
    Patriot
    Individual teams not playing (outside the above conferences):

Delaware (Colonial)
    Drexel (Colonial)
    Hampton (Big South)
    Hofstra (Colonial)
    Northeastern (Colonial)
    Towson (Colonial)
    William & Mary (Colonial)
    Conferences playing conference-only:

Big East
    Big 10
    Metro Atlantic
    Pac 12
    Conferences with delayed first-game dates (beyond conference-only conferences):

ACC (September 1)
    Horizon (October 1)
    Northeast (September 10)
    SEC (September 1)
    WAC (September 10)
    West Coast (September 24)​

Tigmon, ping, Val1 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    Carleton College canceled all Fall sports on July 10th.

ping repped this.
  9. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I heard there are some scheduled meeting this week for the Missouri Valley, that will add them to one of those categories.

ping repped this.
  10. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think it will be a logistic nightmare for these colleges to move all sports to the spring. they don't have the man power to be able to pull this off. I think its a safe answer to appease people right now. I don't think we will see college soccer until fall 2021. just my opinion

ping repped this.
  11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess at this point is that we will see Fall Division 1 sports, with the knowledge going in that a point may come at which it is necessary to shut Division 1 sports down before the regularly scheduled completion of the season, i.e., the NCAA Tournament. Then, Fall sports will start up again if and when those involved with D1 sports decide it is safe enough, including playing of the NCAA Tournament. It may be a rag tag group playing, but that is what they will do. What will prevent completion of Fall sports through the NCAA Tournament will be a delay that extends past next June.

ping repped this.
  12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southwestern AC, no Fall sports.

Mid American Conference, no games until September 3.

ping repped this.
  13. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I can't see the smaller conferences playing this fall with the amount of testing the ncaa is expecting.Power 5 will do anything they can to have football but they don't need the ncaa's approval

ping repped this.
  14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least so far, the NCAA is not approving or disapproving what the non-Power 5 do. They are making recommendations, but are leaving the approving or disapproving part to governments, conferences, and schools.

ping and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #15 Cliveworshipper, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    this.

As I check the WCC COVID-19 plans, each school is different. The limitation on the California schools seems to be mostly from State and local governments. So far, only USF has closed the campus for students. Other schools are going to a “low density housing model” of about 1/3 normal. None of these schools yet has clearance to play.

BYU and Portland, in areas less hit, are bringing students back with a Hybrid class model. Portland still needs clearance from the governor, who restricted sports until October. I don’t think that’s been lifted. Players have been in a bubble since June( summer school). I think the Multnomah county health department also has a say.

The last I see from Gonzaga was June3. The plan then was to return.

ping repped this.
  16. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    What happens with the PAC-12 when California keeps or increases restrictions? UCLA, Stanford, USC, Cal don't get to play? Or can only play away games in Oregon, Washington, and Utah while running around a soccer pitch with a mask on? This is all becoming a bit insane now. Very telling they are thinking of $$$ rather than students at this point.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  17. Chris Mahr

Chris Mahr New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2019
    Has anybody thought what will happen with the NCAA championships with some conferences/schools choosing to move things to the spring and others determined to play this fall??

The NCAA won’t have 2 championships for one sport (other than football :rolleyes:). The lack of leadership at every level just makes us as American’s a complete joke to the rest of the world. Forget the land of the free and home of the brave, because were the land of PC culture and home of the cowards.

18. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think the top conferences will all play in the fall if that is when the NCAA Championship is. The rest know they will not win a national championship so they will play a spring season fighting for a conference championship. Most of those teams would not make the NCAA tournament anyway, and the ones who did do not typically advance past the first round or two. No it is not the same but times are crazy.

19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NCAA is planning on an NCAA Tournament in the Fall, with 64 teams participating. All of the conferences are aware of this, so all of the teams should be too. Of course, things could change but as of now, I do not think enough conferences have opted not to play this Fall to cause a change.

Of course, things remain very fluid. In terms of leadership at the NCAA level, they seem to be doing fine in the area they are able to control.

ping repped this.
  20. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Conferences will be making the move for soccer to be played in the spring. At that point the NCAA will plan for a spring championship. There are still coaches at P5 women’s soccer programs trying to schedule games. Sorry but I don’t see a college women’s soccer game being played this fall.

It’s going to remain up in the air as to what happens with football. I just don’t see how they can play in the fall. They are having outbreaks and that’s just through voluntary workouts, they haven’t even started contact and anything with the ball yet. One thing that hasn’t been talked about is there’s an actual even worse scenario than playing football in the spring - that scenario is playing in the fall and then having to shut down the season which I think is very likely would happen. There will be outbreaks and all it takes is one death to have a PR nightmare. Any coach or administrator that doesn’t see that at this point is just kidding themselves.

Sledhead and ping repped this.
  21. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Huge power struggle on Friday when NCAA Board of Governors meet. Almost all conferences outside Power 5 conferences want the NCAA to pull the plug on the fall.

ping repped this.
  22. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would imagine the NCAA will do whatever the power 5 want.

If power 5 still want championship in fall then it will be in fall. If they are ok moving to spring then NCAA will move it to spring

ping repped this.
  23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hearing rumblings that, if true, would prove my earlier predictions wrong.

ping repped this.
  24. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Keep the info flowing. So much changing so quickly. Your recent post echoes the remarks I heard last week from several different conferences(none of which have made any OFFICIAL announcements yet.)

25. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's pretty simple. The NCAA wants to cancel fall championships, but strong pushback from FBS football. All an optics play at this point.

hykos1045, HeadSpun and ping repped this.