Wikipedia and Judaism

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by DoctorD, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed on Wikipedia an abundance of references to Jewish parentage or ancestry. For example, the article on Beckham mentions that his grandmother is Jewish. A lot of times these statements seem irrelevant to the overall importance of the subject.

So my question is: are these statements added by people of Jewish origin who are proud of their heritage? Or are they added by anti-Semites who are tryign to advance their cause?

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I think in most cases it's neither. Beckham has brought up his connection with Judaism. It tends to come up briefly in most biographical entries.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Ben. But I meant in general (besides Mr. Beckham) I see these references to Judaism. Why so many of them?

4. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

A lot of deluded people think they are as creative and funny as Adam Sandler?

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Is it any different for other ethnic or religious groups? I see all sorts of lists on wikipedia. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholic_American_entertainers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Italian-American_politicians

I'm always curious to hear if someone is Jewish,part-Jewish, whatever. I'm not sure there's much "pride" involved.

Anti-Semities usually portray Jews are rich, powerful, and evil. So they might be quick to point out any leading Jews in industry, politics, or the media, particuarly when one of them does something wrong! Most "Jew lists" are on anti-Semitic sites (though often littered with errors) trying to demonstrate that Jews run the world.

Some lists are on Jewish sites, with the emphasis usually on science, art, entertainment, and sport.

6. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Yeah, but when it comes to a miniscule ethnic group going ga-ga over the achievements of their fellows, jews have nothing on the scots.

"Who's like us? Damn few, and they're all deid!"

http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/famscots.html

I've got a lovely teacloth given to me by a demented scotsman, demonstrating that everything the english have - was made possible by scottish inventors...

I guess you can draw your own conclusions...

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

You are in possession of the sacred teacloth???

8. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Some people feel it important to add the religious status of any number of persons on wikipedia. Several football players and coaches have notes about their conversion to Islam (e.g., Philippe Troussier) or Judaism, etc. I have to agree that these statements seem irrelevant to the articles, but I guess that is one of the problems of having an encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

9. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They do it because there's a distinction to be made between Jews and Gentiles, thats all.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If people write it it is because they think it is relevant. Is it relevant to know about people's religious beliefs? For example, is it relevant that Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page dabbled with the occult? Maybe not, but I find it an interesting fact to know, because I find him to be an interesting character. Maybe it helps descipher some of his lyrics, to some extent.

Some people find David Beckham interesting, so maybe they find it interested that David Beckham has a connection with Judaism. I don't know why, but they do.

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I was reading a book called "A History of the Jews in USA", (an older book) by Rabbi Levinger. He points to Christopher Colombus as being a Jew, of course leaves the theory to much debate. :)

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    We should start blaming Jews for the genocide of Indians then.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    For 24 hours, Frank Miller became Jewish on Wikipedia :D That's a perfect example of someone being identified as Jewish for anti-Semitic purposes (and one of the weaknesses of Wikipedia, which overall is a great asset to the internet community). As a brilliant artist for decades, he wasn't Jewish. Only when he pissed off one group he magically became Jewish.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christopher Columbus was definitely not Jewish. There are some interesting things that he did that may have pointed to it, but he wasn't. He used some Jewish symbols in his logs, etc. He left Spain on the same day that those refusing to convert to Catholicism were forced out by the Inquisition... august 2nd or 3rd, 1492... I forget which...

He did have some Jewish crew members though.

But when he landed in the new world, he wrote that the Indians would be easy to convert to Christianity.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Does this mean he was circumcised?

Wait...."in his logs", gotcha.