Wigan Athletic vs Blackpool match thread, Saturday 14th August 2010

Discussion in 'Blackpool' started by Bispham Seasider, Aug 10, 2010.

?

What's your prediction for the Wigan Athletic vs Blackpool match?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2010.
  1. Home win - Wigan Athletic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Away win - Blackpool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bispham Seasider

Bispham Seasider New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wigan Athletic vs Blackpool, Premier League

Saturday 14th August 2010, kick-off 3:00pm

My goodness. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would need to open a Blackpool match thread containing the words "Premier League". Yet here we are, 4 days from the start of the 2010-11 PL season, with Blackpool.

There will be a sizeable away following at the DW stadium to see the Tangerines first ever game in the Premier League and the club's first match back in the English top flight since 1971.

Blackpool announced earlier this evening that just 50 tickets remained for Pool fans, with over 4,100 having already been sold.

No team news as yet, and with "a number of new signings" due to be announced tomorrow morning, it is anyones guess what the team will be - beause right now no-one really knows who the new players are, other than we are signing French midfielder Ludovic Sylvestre, Israeli defender Dekel Keinan and supposedly Northern Irish defender Craig Cathcart.

Keith Southern, Billy Clarke and Loius Almond are all out injured.

Of course with Blackpool playing in the PL now, the match will be shown live in various countries and there will be a number of sites streaming the game live too.

See http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=83708&part=sports

for details later in the week.

2. batch-wafc

batch-wafc New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Looking forward to the game. Not sure why you've not asked for the full allocation for the away stand - 5,000 - because i'm sure you'd have sold that out too.

Likewise i'm not too sure how we'll line up (formation we all know how we'll set out, not sure about the players who will fit in mind you) Dont think this will be far off though:-

Kirkland

Stam Alcaraz Gohouri Figueroa

Diame McCarthey

N'Zogbia Watson Rodallega

Boselli

3. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye there has been discussion about the away allocation as we would easily have sold 5,000 - simply because of it being our first game in the PL. There was talk that it was the OB who made the decision?

One thing for sure it certainly won't be the same scoreline from last seasons League Cup game at Bloomfield Road when we won 4-1. Both sides made huge changes to the sides that night.

I'd absolutely take a draw on Saturday though.

4. batch-wafc

batch-wafc New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Yeah i've just said elsewhere that it probably is the OB. They've had a vendetta against us since we won a case against them for overcharging us to police matches.

Either that or we asked for the money for 5,000 tickets up front and Oyston didnt fancy handing over £100,000 up front to us ;)

5. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh yes I remember that case over the policing bill. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was down to them. Fools.

As for Oyston not stumping up money - quite ironic really given that Sky Sports News have been running a story all Tuesday about Ian Holloway supposedly threatening to quit over Karl Oystons transfer budget policy and how Oyston just seems to refuse to budge!

Should make for an interesting Press Conference in the morning!

6. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The game will also see the return of referee Mark Halsey to officiating in the Premier League.

In August 2009 it was announced Halsey was suffering from lymphoma of the glands and had undergone surgery to remove a cancerous tumour in his throat and he obviously had to take time out from football following Evertons opening day game against Arsenal last season.

Now after a number of months in remission following intense chemotherapy and radiotherapy he is ready to return to blow his whistle again in the PL.

He made his initial return to League football with the League Two clash between Rotherham United and Port Vale in April.

A welcome return to the football world and good to see him back.

7. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well now I have no idea what the Blackpool team will be on Saturday. Yesterday we signed five players, another is expected today and another tomorrow.

8. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While Ian Holloway was in one day adding five players to his squad, Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has added five over the summer. The likes of Ali Al-Habsi, Antolin Alcaraz and Mauro Boselli could make their first Wigan appearances in the league.

Ollie has very high regard for Martinez and the style of football he got his team at Swansea City playing really influenced his thinking of how to approach the game.

One betting tip finds it hard to predict the game and has gone for a 1-1 draw!

9. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chris Basham, who today signed for the Tangerines, will go straight into contention for place in the squad.

10. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, we'll not be able to see this game in St. Louis, MO. :(

There are a few of us that are pulling strong for Blackpool! (these days I've got a vintage tangerine kit hanging in my closet next to my Arsenal, AC St. Louis, Chivas de Guadalajara, and Mexico kits).

I made a post on my St. Louis Soccer blog about the game and other such info that came to me via my English friend's contacts in Blackpool:
    http://floodplainfooty.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/blackpool-returns-to-the-english-premier-league/

11. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey Battra thanks and welcome in!

The game will be streamed live on the internet. I know it is being shown live on cable tv in Canada and numerous other countries including Australia, Middle East etc - which doesn't help anyone in USA of course!!!

I will have a look at your blog!!

12. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From BFC official site:

New boys Elliot Grandin and Ludovic Sylvestre hope to receive international clearance in time to make their debuts.

Marlon Harewood, Chris Basham and Craig Cathcart could all be in the squad.

The Latics are without the injured Gary Caldwell and are sweating on the fitness of defender Steve Gohouri.

The BFC site has Latics new signing Mauro Boselli as one to watch. The Argentine has been impressive in pre-season, scoring six goals in six friendlies. His impressive scoring record with Primera División side Estudiantes, where he scored 37 goals in 57 games, alerted manager Roberto Martinez.

Ian Holloway on the game:

13. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of a pay only site, and I recall now that I must take my wife to the doctor on Saturday...so...it matters not for me.

14. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't help me, but they'll help my good friend here in St. Louis...though I fear I'll have to drive him to the AC St. Louis game if Pool wins tomorrow!!

16. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the Pool win tomorrow I think I will be jumping to the moon with joy. :D

17. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a feeling Pool's got this one. I have no basis to make this claim, but my undying optimism.

I also think it'd be awesome.

18. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not long to go now!!!! :D

MyP2P now lists three streaming sites for the game including

http://www.iraqgoals.tv/ch1.html

which currently has the Spurs vs Man City game on.

19. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blackpool team news

Three of the new signings ,Marlon Harewood, Craig Cathcart and Elliot Grandin start at the DW Stadium. Ludovic Sylvestre and Chris Basham are on the bench.

Matthew Gilks
    Alex Baptiste
    Craig Cathcart
    Ian Evatt
    Stephen Crainey
    David Vaughan
    Charlie Adam
    Gary Taylor-Fletcher
    Brett Ormerod
    Elliot Grandin
    Marlon Harewood

Subs:
    Paul Rachubka
    Neal Eardley
    Rob Edwards
    Ludovic Syvlestre
    Chris Basham
    Ishmel Demontagnac
    Jason Euell

21. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something to be said for undying optimism - Tangerine fans have always had heaps of that!

Come on Blackpool!

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Louisiana - waiting to watch on my daughter's laptop. :D

22. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WOO HOO!!! At last this season you should be able to see a lot more live games. Keep every finger crossed that the game is going to be streamed!!!!

23. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe we missed the header on that corner. :eek:

Yes, the 'pool fans are bringing it!

25. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks fantastic behind the goal with a wall of tangerine, 4,200 sell out. We could easily have sold over 5,000 for this game.

Hoggy is also there with his drum making a hell of a racket too!!

Wigan now coming back into the game.