Wigan Athletic F.C.

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by damnecuadorian, Feb 24, 2009.

1. YeYeto

YeYeto New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Thats a shame...I was all hyped up ready to see Valencia against Chelsea tomorrow. Lets hope for a quik recovery not just for Wigan but for the qualifiers as well.

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    BINGO!

I've said it before - Guerron is not a good fit for Spanish soccer, plus they are a bunch of racist a-holes. Guerron's speed and strength are ideal for the EPL, imagine him flying down the right side. He's faster than Valencia, just as strong, although not as mature or technical, but he's still a young guy. If anybody from Wigan reads this thread, please take a look at Guerron, his price is probably low right now due to his rough start at Getafe, but the guy has got to be one of the fastest players alive.

3. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep I agree.
    I don't believe that Guerron is settling in very well to the Spanish lifestyle or football game, and the racist attack by the Sporting Gijon supporters did not help matters either. His style and character would be much better suited here in England, and he already has shown that he can play well against us English, this during the Ecuador vs England U21 match, in which the England side consisted of many EPL first teamers. Guerron is also last year's Copa Libertadores player of the year, and you have to be something very special indeed to recieve such an award. Hopefully next season an EPL side does come in for the player, and Valencia should recommend him to his boss Stevie Bruce, this to play for Wigan. Even Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic of the SPL would be a good fit for the player in my opinion, and with these two he will likely get to play European competition football (Champions League, and/or Europa League) which should be beneficial.

4. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guerron in the EPL? he will fail miserably unless he completely changes his playing style which is unlikely at his age. For the Record, and you can look at my previous post. I never like Guerron. The only reason he got transfered is because niembro and Closs loved that players for some ungodly reason. You think guerron is fast? They are faster in the EPL and Guerron once he makes his speedracer runs down the sideline DOES NOTreturn to cover the postion leaving huge gaps for the opposing team and pissing off his teammates who have to cover his ass. I called it when I said he was going to fail in Spain. He's got a big Mouth, arrogant even pato abbon had to tell him to f.v.cking calm down. and I quote "YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS WON A COPA LIBERTADORES" not only do you have to be fast in the EPL but you have to be extremely precise with your passes and if you have seen Guerron play than you know that's his WORST defect, he is most SELFISH player on the pitch. Go ahead and send Guerron to the EPL so he can close more doors for Ecuadorian Players. He's an uneducated dumbass..and playing against a U-21 English squad in which most of the players are even in the Prem league but in the coca cola Champ league is not convincing at all.

5. ECUABIKER

ECUABIKER New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Glendale, Ca.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know where I can buy a #16 Valencia jersey????

6. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. ECUABIKER

ECUABIKER New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Glendale, Ca.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ECUAlex

ECUAlex Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Anybody know if Valencia is playing this weekend? He hasnt played in about 3 weeks

9. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He won't. Still has the hamstring problem.

10. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he is back in training but he isnt going to be risked for the game after what happened on his last return from injury.

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Well - you may have an issue with Guerron but he's the most exciting player to come out of Ecuador since Benitez and Valencia. And as far as his attitude, frankly I love it. I think Ecuador needs a cocky son of a bitch sometimes to fire up the team and also to piss off the other team's defenders. Who can forget telling the Maracana to "shhhhh" after scoring a PK in the final? The Spanish and Argentine primadonnas on Getafe thought they were getting a quiet, obediant black Ecuadorian who would listen to whatever they said - instead they got a guy with "huevos, papa, huevos".

And as far as Pato, he may have won the Copa Libertadores, but he had some help from guys like Palermo and Chelo Delgado, whereas Guerron put fear in every defense in South America and rightly was named MVP of that tournament. This puts him in a pretty elite list of players.

12. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First off all, Guerron doesn't piss off Defenders LOL, they laugh at him in Spain.. I mean Really. Who are you kidding? Where are those huevos, Papa, huevos en la Eliminatorias? or the same huevos that can't get off the bench at a MIDTABLE CLUB? What's the saying in Ecuador? Menos palabras, Mas Futbol..How many Goals did Guerron have in the Copa libertadores again? Getafe didn't think they were getting obediant black Ecuadorian. They thought they were getting a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER..and is if my memory serves me right, Ecuador is 100X time more racist than spain..using racism is an excuse. Its everywhere and the last time I was in London I personally saw 6 White guys harass 2 Black guys, One of them a security guard, right in front of the Restaurant I was eating at. So Don't think just because they don't scream it at the stadium, it doesn't exist..

13. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    GW you seem to be able to find stuff. What are the chances of getting a Caicedo man city jersey? I have had no luck.

14. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and another thing MANOLO. Did you ever wonder why Espanol hesitiated to sign Bolanos? I think of one good reason. Why do you think Steve Bruce at Wigan wants christian Benitez? because Steve and valencia sing Tabaco y run and eat caldo de salchicha together? No. Its because Valencia is a PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER and Steve bruce values his word and he sees just how professional ecua footballers came be through Valencia. Same situation at Santos laguna with benitez and Pedro Quinonez. You still like your HUEVOS, PAPA, HUEVOS attitude? At that rate, Ecuador will Zero footballers players in Europe in three years.

15. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Under a manager who actually has balls and doesnt give up on his players with problems, Guerron will be a more consistant performer. Therefore not a clueless nerd like Sven Goran Erikkson, Gareth Southgate etc, or an uncaring pile of crap like Mark Hughes, but instead somebody like a Alex Ferguson, Stevie Bruce etc. If you were to put Guerron in the Wigan squad he should shine in the EPL, this because he will have plenty of team mates around him from similar lifestyles, languages etc, and a manager in Brucie who cares a lot for his players and isnt scared to give them a huge bollocking when they do wrong. Guerron in a way is a bit like a Nery Castillo, and basically just needs some loving and strict management to allow the real him to always shine.
    With regards to racism between blacks and whites here in the UK this is very rare in the modern day. If anything these days, the race feud consists of blacks + whites (united) vs muslims and hindus.

16. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hola Quilotoa. It's a difficult job indeed locating a Manchester City Caicedo jersey. Your best bet is to try the Manchester City website, and if not contact the Man City store via telephone. The telephone number is located on the store web page and they should have your choice in stock.
    The link to the Man City store web page is: https://shop.mcfc.co.uk/
    With regards to a Man City Caicedo jersey, are you sure you would want to purchase one, giving that big changes could be made at Manchester City in the Summer? Their could be ins and outs galore at the club, and Caicedo in search of regular first team action could be out. Therefore you might only have a few months to enjoy your jersey, this before it goes out of date.

17. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wigan Lineup to play Chelsea:

Starting XI
    Kirkland, Melchiot, Bramble, Boyce, Figueroa, Cattermole, Brown, Scharner, Kapo, N'Zogbia, Zaki.

Bench
    Kingson, Edman, Sibierski, Rodallega, Cywka, Routledge, Holt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match Stream: http://atdhe.net/live-tv-4121.html

18. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    EPL Result:

Chelsea 2 (Terry 25, Lampard 90)
    Wigan Athletic 1 (Kapo 82)

19. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. ECUAlex

ECUAlex Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Steve Bruce was right in complaining about that. I thought the push on Melchiot could've gone either way but he is right about the refereeing. They call a lot of bullshit calls favoring bigger clubs especially Man U. It was about a month ago that Man U played Everton, Fletcher was barely touched and dived. Referee called a PK and they ended up winning because of that.

21. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Well all I have to say is that a couple years ago, Valencia was also struggling to get playing time at a 2ND DIVISION team in Spain, until they decided to loan him out. Now he's widely considered one of the best wingers in the entire world.

Now, I can't explain why this happened. It could be many reasons. I don't claim to know why it's possible that sometimes footballers play well on some teams and not on others. But it happens. And in the case of Ecuadorian players, as many of the Ecuadorians here on this board can attest, one of the big reasons is that historically the Ecuadorian player is acomplejado, because it is a small country with little football history, and most of these guys come from an extremely poor and disadvantaged background. Several foreign coaches who have come to Ecuador have cited this as a big problem when we play against Argentine, Brazilian, and other big teams.

Recently, especially with making the last 2 World Cups, and now the Libertadores, the attitude is changing. These young guys now believe in themselves, and show a different attitude - they have confidence. As a follower and fanatic of Ecuadorian football, this is what I want to see. I want our guys to gain automatic respect because they are Ecuadorian, just like today a Argentine or Brazilian player automatically gets respect because of their history. I'm not worried about any doors getting closed - because as long as we keep winning in international matches and big tournaments, there will be a need for our players in Europe.

There used to be a time where our guys' legs would tremble because they were playing against a Brazilian team in the Maracana - this guy scored on them and told the stadium to "shhhhhh...". Maybe for Argentines it's not a big deal because you have a big and proud history. For us, this type of thing is symbolic of our recent emergence on the world stage as a country in this sport.

22. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    one of the best wingers in the world? Accordingly to who? Revista Estadio? Everytime Valencia comes up against the big 5 in England. he gets completley Shutdown..

Total bullshit, how about the players from jamaica, trinidad & tobago, Honduras, Haiti and every single African and Asian country? Either you are good or bad. Plain and simple.

Attitude is changing? Since when? Alberto Spencer? Alex Aguinaga? Italo Estupiñan? Should I keep naming footballers? The attitude of these players were what? defeatist? and Ecuador Footballers will never get automatic respect like Argentines and brazilians. Are you crazy or a dreamer? Get back to reality. You might as well wish for Ecuador to win 4 World Cups. and you think the way guerron is going, ecuadorian footballers will get respect?

HOW old are you? tremble? there is no f.v.cking way in this world or the next that you have seen more Ecua games than me. TREMBLE? Since f.v.c.king when? What are you talking about? i've seen barcelona beat bangu in Brasil f.v.cking 23 years ago .. again what's this TREMBLING SHit? I have come to the conclusion that you have no idea, what you are talking about. You are starting to sound like Revista Estadio. and magazine i have stop reading because they are as delusional as you. And here is a Article from that fantasy magazine: i mean disregard every ecua footballers before acouple of years ago.. how Pathetic.

De inadaptados a solicitados
    Por Fabricio Zavala García. Fotos: Reuters.

Hasta hace apenas unos años, a los jugadores ecuatorianos les costaba adaptarse al fútbol del extranjero; hoy son cada vez más requeridos por su bajo costo y alto rendimiento.

Antonio Valencia es pretendido por el Real Madrid de España. Felipe Caicedo, un chico que nunca jugó fútbol profesional en Ecuador, brilla en el Manchester City de Inglaterra. Segundo Castillo es titular indiscutible en el Everton británico. Christian Noboa acaba de ser campeón en Rubin Kazan de Rusia.

23. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Right, well Manolo said "in the case of Ecuador" so I don't think it is an insult to these small countries but for Ecuador it has not had a prestigious football history in a very competitive region. Also, not in disrespect to the Ecuadorian legends of Spencer and Aguinagua but they didn't go to any world cups. I remember posting on here a while back saying I am impressed by Ecuadorian football despite its small stature in world football historically and I believe you (argentine futbol) said two world cups had something to do with it. So I think these players since the 2002 WC campaign have some credit to their name in Ecuadorian football. From my understanding Ecua football was sort of written off for WCs and major competitions in the past and it seems like now they cary a RELATIVE prestige now due to Valencia, Mendez, Caicedo, among others. It isn't as though they are viewed as a SA powerhouse for exporting footballers, but at least due to La Liga's recent success and Valencia and Caicedo being ambassadors for Ecuador there is more interest. Also, in regards to Noboa I was sent an email from some club owners in Russia looking for someone to record all Ecua league games due to Noboa's success they are now adding Ecuador to their scouting list. However, I do agree with you when it comes to Guerron. I don't think cockiness ever helps. I remember Makelele being boisterous and my respect for him died.

24. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    According to various international press reports, both Real Madrid and Manchester United have been in serious discussions with Wigan regarding acquiring Valencia. You might have heard of this. If not, WHERE IN GOD'S NAME HAVE YOU BEEN? :confused:

Does this make him one of the best wingers in the world? I don't know, but it probably puts him in the top 20 or so...whatever.

And frankly, you can't cite performances against EPL Big 4 teams as indicative of an individual's potential. When Wigan plays against these guys, the possession is like 70% to 30%. Their focus is on defense. If the coach starts sending Valencia forward to run at these guys, they'll get killed 3 or 4-0.

Either you are good or bad? WRONG. Plain and simple? WRONG.

Life is not so simple. There are many circumstances that affect players ability to perform at the same level anyplace they go.

Ask a European who the hell Spencer and Aguinaga were. They'll look at you with a puzzled face. And are you seriously going to mention these guys as "typical" Ecuadorian players for their time? These guys were an island of quality in a sea of mediocrity.

And don't misquote me either - I said "I want our guys to gain automatic respect because they are Ecuadorian" - I didn't say they do, or even that they will someday. Would I like it? Sure. But don't exaggerate what I'm saying to try to make your point.

OK. Thanks for the article. And for the record, I hope you're not getting all of your understanding of Ecuadorian football from Revista Estadio. That's like reading Diario Extra to get the latest news from Ecuador.

Here's a real article that reasserts my claim regarding the old mentality of the Ecuadorian player, and how that has gradually changed over the years. And who was it that claimed that the Ecuadorian player was "scared of foreigners"? It was the legend Alberto Spencer himself.

http://ipsnoticias.net/nota.asp?idnews=37824

25. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lo que dice Manolo no es una estupidez como lo dice el che. Solo los Ecuatorianos sabemos las frustraciones del pasado porque las sentimos. Sentir es muy diferente que solo saber...
    Les guste o no a los extranjeros nuestro futbol ahora tiene buen nivel. Nadie ha dicho que estamos a la par de los mejores del mundo como Arg, Bra por dios!!! Pero que ahora somos de los mejores de sudamerica aparte de los 2 gigantes es verdad. Los resultados lo demuestran, yo estoy feliz con lo que se ha hecho y estamos progresando mas aun. No creo que lleguemos a ser de los mejores del mundo pero si que nos mantengamos y mejoremos aun mas.
    Y Guerron le cayo la boca al man porque hoy metio su primer gol....ya van a ver como se establiza y le va bien....
    Lo unico que se es que estamos por buen camino y la mayoria de gente nos respeta y nos ve como un peligro.