Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Wanderer, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nope, Okocha is a bosman.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I tell you what...
    How about you produce your own players and develop your own talent..
    Does that sound like a good idea???

We've got players like Rio ferdinand ,micheal owen ,etc... rolling off the production line so we obviously dont know how to produce players.
    You're all clearly experts on our ways of youth development.
    You yanks wouldnt wanna degrade yourselves and come to england...
    Theres no need for this debate to continue because you yanks too high and mighty for us .
    You reach one quarter final and now you're clearly the best thing since sliced bread.
    bye bye, its been fun.

3. Achilles

Achilles New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Arizona
    What's the matter, Sinner, no witty response to HartwickFan?

Thought not.

4. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

All i got to say is....

Shut up you muppet!

5. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Meaning Bolton didn't pay a transfer fee for him, correct?

6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

A bosman is a free transfer when that player is out of contract.

Under the bosman ruleings the player can talk to any club when he has only 6 months left on his contract.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, you have nothing to say

8. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    It has nothing to do with English style and everything to do with heart. Year in and year out the English teams are more talented than anyone in the world (except the Brazilians) but they underachieve. The Premiership would not teach American players to underachieve it would prepare them for the international game and its up to the player to bring the heart.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well said..!
    Americans have always been welcomed in the EPL but since Harkes non (other than goalies) have really made the grade for more than a season. I'll admit all I've seen of Reyna were a couple of Rangers games and the one for Sunderland at Anfield. At Anfield in particular his arse sucketh wind and he was red carded....!
    I'd have to say that at the moment there are a better pool of players in England to choose from than having to look at MLS.
    Most people are throwing Donovan and Mathis as 'most likely to be asked' but the player of the WC for the US IMO was Tony Sannah. I heard that a German team were interested, anything happen on that..?

You are who you pretend to be.
    Kurt Vonegut Jnr.

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correct but he's not a loan signing as was suggested by M.

11. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

this whole thread is a bit stupid really.
    The premiership contributed more of its players to the World Cup than any other league by a lomg way. So how could playing with world class players really be bad for a young player??

12. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    13.7% of the players at this WC were then plying their trade in England.

I included Roy Keane.

13. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, my question was intentionally leading. The point is that using Okocha as an example of players that have been transferred (implying an exchange of £) is a bit misplaced since the discussion was centered on who was and wasn't offering and/or paying money for players.

Okocha shouldn't have even been brought up.

And before anyone reacts in a knee-jerk fashion, as I've mentioned before, I agree with the English posters on this thread for the most part: MLS players have been over-valued by MLS officials, who probably thought they were going to have some sort of windfall from the sale of certain players. The quality of MLS as a whole is of course lower than the Prem. Only a handful of MLS players could make an impact in the Prem, given the right club and the confidence of the manager. I'm not so blindly loyal to MLS that I can't see it for what it is and freely admit it here in a public forum.

And Monk, this isn't the World Rivalries board, so tone down a bit on the posturing. You can make your points without being quite so abrasive.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Im polite by Northern English standards.
    You should be thankful that I was raised to have good manners .but I dont wanna offend the simple american folk on this here board .
    I hear that you're a churchgoer ,so I wont say bad words anymore .

15. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Thank you Jesus. Someone understood the point of this thread. Of course, I wouldn't expect Poms like Sinner Ronald Monk to get what I was talking about. I don't give a rat's arse if they have a choice or not--I'm saying if they did, don't go to the Premiership over the other leagues. And I'm talking about young players, not 25 year old players. U23s if you will.

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Is that it then???
    Is that all you've got??
    Ha ha lol
    Wheres the reply to my post and the others??
    You're just embarrassing yourself.

Yeah ,yeah...we dont know what we're talking about .A yank like yourself would obviously know much more about our youth development that us.
    Its a mystery how current english youth teams are performing better than the likes of spain and germany ,beating them at all youth levels .Its a mystery how england under-21's outclassed both germamy and holland on their way to the 2002 under-21 championship...
    Oh yeah.....We dont know to produce players .
    The act that we've got about 50+ players under the age of 23 ,good enough for the full national team is just a big accident.

Im sure young yanks will take your "expert" advice and avoid the premiership .We haven't made any offers (neither has anybody else) ,but im sure if an offer comes by in about 5 years time they'll really listen to you .LOL
    They'll listen to the "expert" who thinks man utd are a long ball team.haha

btw - as I said , I think its a good idea to produce and develop your own players .That might be a difficult concept for a yank to understand but It might be worth trying.

17. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only skimmed the thread and tried to ignore much of the obvious venom...but I think...

Any professional that turned down a contract in the Premiership would be idiot. This is about making a living, not creating some style of play that a fan of the U.S. National team would like to see them play.

"Hmm, my name is Claudio Reyna, I could play at DC United for $250k a year or stay at Sunderland and make more in the neighborhood of $1 million. I have a wife and some kids but I think it would be best for them if I made 25% of the money for the last 4 years of my career." (dripping with sarcasm)

He is obviously not an idiot. If you think that Arsenal and Man U don't play a nice style of football then you really don't like football.

Any of our players would benefit from that environment, just like they would playing first team ball in France or Holland. First of all, the reserve team system is what some of our players like Clint need. Get lazy, get benched. He will never sit the pine in the U.S. and he knows it.

I love soccer and want it to do well here but I am not selfish enough to want our best players to stay here for our league. Credibility and long term success will come when we have lots of players playing at the top level. I think Korea-Japan was great but the big guns will not be caught sleeping next time. By anybody.

How could any true soccer fan and fan of the U.S. watch a Man U-Liverpool game and not want to see a Yank step on the field and be part of that?

More sarcasm: I was offered a job in the NFL but elected to stay and play for the CFL for the good of Canadian football. Don't think so.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I guess you just missed the last couple of posts. The argument is that if they have other chances to go to other leagues besides the Premiership that they should take them.

Go check out how many players the Premiership had in the semi final teams of the last two world cups(last three if you wish). I don't care about the whole tournament, the semis are the only thing that matter to me.

I'll stand by what Gareth Southgate, Ronaldo and Carlos Perreira have said--the style of play doesn't prep you well for international competition.

Of course if a Yank only has a choice between the Premiership and the MLS then it's quite obvious which one he should choose--the premiership. Just don't expect it to turn him into a world beating player just because he does well there.

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999

I just posted this for the Anglophiles and the would be Yank youth players that 'dream' of going to the premiership. The fans are great, the stadiums are great and the pay is great, but the quality of football just doesn't translate much to the international level. They think that going there and doing well is going to make them World Cup stars when the past three WCs that really hasn't been the case. Most Yanks already know the 'run like a chicken with it's head cut off style' due to all the expatriate English youth coaches we have here. It would be better for them to try and ply their trades in leagues where that isn't the dominate style in order to become more well rounded players. I guess if you'd disagree with that, then that just shows how logically you reason.

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    It may come as a surprise to you that over the past couple of seasons that style of play is becoming less and less the norm.

Certainly not a single club in the top 6 play that way.Most of the top half finishers simply don't either.
    What you will find is that the teams that have been promoted usually have a style like that and most of the teams at the bottom of the priemier league have a similar style.

To say that in this day and age that EPL teams simply play hoof and hope means you are not up to date on what is going on.
    This is not to say that it not so all the time, merly to say that there is a definite style change underway.
    Therefor a yank could go to the EPL and fare no worse...or better...than any of the other leagues.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's anything of the sort. I think it's simply that the various players have X amount of worth to MLS and to sell them for less would be bad business. OR:

If keeping DaMarcus Beasley nets me 2.5 Million Dollars more than letting him go and selling him to Boro nets me 1.1 Million Dollars, than I'd be foolish to sell him for that amount.

It doesn't matter that the 1.1 Million is a fairly accurate assessment of his worth on the market for the rest of the players Boro goes after, and that it isn't likely to go up from there. Not at all the issue. The issue is Beasley's worth to MLS versus what they can get for him.

Right now the former appears to be much higher.

The issue will be the conflicts that arise (like McBride) when teams from Europe show interest, the player wants to go ($$$$$$) but MLS won't let it happen.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's foggy every day in London too.

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    it's very difficult to put a monetary value on how much a player is worth to MLS by staying. For example, how much more is McBride worth to MLS for the rest of this season when retaining him means he can walk away at the end of the year when his contract expires?

24. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I see so the Korean League and the Turkish league are better than the Premiership? How many players in the semi's played in Holland? How about Italy? There may have been a lot of players from Spain there but I noticed a servere lack of Spaniards.

Don't use Ronaldo as evidence for your argument. He said the Premiership would not improve his play, call me naive but I don't think the US is producing players the quality of Ronaldo just yet. Southgate's comments are just part of a post WC headache, I've tried to explain the English "We're crap" mentality that appears when we lose yet still you take Southgate's comments as gospel truth. He wouldn't have said that after we beat Argentina or Denmark.

Yeah god forbid they should become players the quality of Rio Ferdinand, David Beckham, Micheal Owen, Paul Scholes, Joe Cole, Kieran Dyer, Jermaine Defoe etc. What would you do with crap like that?

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Same old crap.
    You just repeat yourself in every f'cking post.
    You're like a broken record.

Very few yanks have ever been to England so you've got no need to "worry yourself" .
    Anyway ,you're not really in any position to advise anyone about the standard of youth coaching in any country.
    I have tried to inform you about the success of our youth teams in international competition and the new blueprint for coaching that has been introduced ,etc,etc... but it has clearly gone way over your head .You obviously dont want to hear what doesn;t suit you.
    Just stick with your ingrained view that only "kick and rush" is taught .I doubt it will make any difference to anyone.

We actually supplied more players to the world cup to any other league for this world cup.
    The premiership only started to really get back to top level when Man utd won the 99 champions league .Between 91 and 98 we were playing catch up with the other leagues .we were still a developing league during the 94 and 98 world cup.That was the period when Serie A ruled .
    We didn;t import foreigners in big numbers until about 97/98 .Its no suprise that we didn;t have a huge influence over the 94 and 98 world cups.

This world cup was totally unpredictable .
    The last 4 was Germany ,Korea ,Brazil and Turkey.
    No one could've expected that .

Cheers for informing us about that.
    That must be the same kind of coaching they taught the current england youth sides when they were running rings around the sides from spain ,italy ,holland,etc...
    Those wins were all down to the famous "run around like a chicken" style of play.LOL
    Must've been taught to the under-21's who made germany look like clowns on their hometurf the night before england spanked the full german team.
    oooh the picture is becoming clearer now.

I dont think there is a dominant style in English football .There is such a wide variety of styles and thats what makes the league the most succesful in european history .
    We didn;t win a record amount of european cup competitions and rise up the rankings by playing "run around like a headless chicken" style football .
    You should have a look at our record in europe.

For example of the different styles.....

-Liverpool play a counter-attacking ,defensive style of play .The same style of play that helped them win the Uefa cup .
    -Man utd try to pass teams to death by playing technically good players at all positions..
    -Fulham play the same as any other Tigana side would play .They play with flair.

Your attempt tp brand all english teams as "kck and rush" is so embarrassingly wrong its laughable.I bet you think in your head that every team plays a 4-4-2 long ball system.
    Alot of english clubs employ foreign coaches so do you reckon that those foreign coaches and managers would use a "long ball" style????
    We have foreign influence in our modern coaching.This aint the early 80's when managers like dave bassett and bobby gould were around.
    Would Tigana's fulham play kick and rush??
    they dont and thats why he leaves the hapless eddie lewis on the bench.lol
    You clearly have paid very little attention to english football.

btw- please dont bother replying if you're just going to repeat yourself.
    Say something new for once in your life.