Why you’ve never been a 1st division type of player

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lamrof, Jun 28, 2005.

1. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Looking at your football life, past and present, what are the reasons that prevented you from becoming a good professional football player? Is it lack of desire? environment? Turn of events? Impeded by others? Lack of technical ability? Health? Luck? etc... etc...

In my case, it has to be environment, technical skills and attitude. As a youngster, my parents didn’t give me the freedom to roam around the neighborhood and associate with other kids, although I loved the game and played whenever, wherever I can. In my mid twenties I played a lot here in the US. Technically I was average. It also didn't occur to me that there needs to be more effort in preparing my body for the rigorous play schedule in the leagues I played. I didn't have enough stamina because I did not work on it. My speed was mediocre.
    In 93 something magical happened in my game. I started following Romario's game. Started hunting his tapes, etc.. And mostly the 94 world cup games and watched him in person in San Jose where the Brazil NT trained.
    I started imitating his balance, and rhythm. I seriously worked on it, mentally visualizing the way he moves, with or without the ball. It was amazing because my game was changing. I exercised and did it again and again. I had to fight off my old habits and worked on the new movements for hours and hours. I noticed I was enjoying it more. My ball controls, dribble, shots, etc.. It was all new and much much better. I noticed ppl commenting on the improvement. Some thought I was that way forever and started asking me for advise. It was magical really. I become the most attractive player and goal scorer. It was awesome how much I enjoyed it.

As you know, Romario, and all good Brazilians (and most Argentineans) move with finesse. I grew up where finesse is frowned upon and ridiculed by fans/coaches/teammates. Overcoming that deep seating perception was tough but I did it.

Problem is by the time this happened I was too old. I do play recreational soccer now. People still think I am technically gifted.

If only this happened to me when I was younger

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm slow, white, and unathletic. Other than that it boiled down to not being good enough.

3. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    moved out of town when i was invited to the tryouts...

4. XIIGermanIIX

XIIGermanIIX New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    TEXAS
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not sure, but in my opinion pro players now days were just at the right place at the right time and somebody of importance was able to sight them, of course they must've have had some talent before, but without the training camps of great teams they would not have made it that far.

5. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Re: Why you’ve never been a 1st division type of player

Because I live in the U.S.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt start playing soccer (indoor actually) till the end my junior year. I started too late, but even if I did start early, I may have never had the technical skills. I am an excellent marker, but thats about it.

Football (American) is where I had the best chance.

7. yazoo123

yazoo123 New Member

Jun 25, 2005
    so if your 18 and living in the us playing for a ncsl team you have no chance of making it pro?

8. mavandgoose723

mavandgoose723 New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Corvallis, Or
    Fat, ugly, cant grow "soccer player hair"...no talent as well, im sure theres more

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because I was forced to move to the U.S.

10. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the coach didn't like me.

Because I play soccer like I dance.

11. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Re: Why you’ve never been a 1st division type of player

loved the game when I was younger, but didn't play every year 'cuz I didn't like most of the other kids on the team, finally gave up after 10th grade and never got back to same level of fitness/game awareness/technical ability (though injuries also played a part in that).

12. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I think I can answer for a few people.

1. Didn't really know the skill level necessary until it was too late (too old).
    2. Didn't realize the physical ability or conditioning until it was too late.
    3. Didn't take the necessary steps early on to get recognition to advance to
    the next level. Right kids team to get noticed by right youth team. Right
    youth team to recognized by right senior youth team, pro scouts, High
    School, college etc.
    4. Didn't know the route to take to become a pro. For example if you want to
    become a doctor you know you need to get into to godd secondary school,
    keep good grades. Get into Medical school and graduate. Pass Med. exams.

Given what I know now if I could be 6 years old again... :rolleyes:

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still can't seem to figure it out myself actually (sniff, sniff)...... may have been because I had longish hair, asthma, the coach didn't like me, played me out of position, etc., etc....

... or maybe it was because everytime I played footy I resembled something close to an epileptic mop.

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What a bizarre thread.

The answer for 99.9% of people on this planet is "because I wasn't good enough".

15. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    I have two left feet - not literally, just figuratively of course. Having one left foot was never a detriment but not being able to use my right foot at all really hindered my ability to play at any level.

And, the fact that I'm asthmatic didn't exactly help either.

16. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    As you see in my case that was the case early on but that changed later in life. I became a very very good player. The more I enjoyed my game and see result the more I loved soccer and the desire to play competively grew with it. I was also working out more. Such as every other day. running hills and for strenght and stamina.
    Unfortunately that happened to me later in life.
    At 30 I was the best player everywhere I played. Everywhere.

Hope some young soul will learn from us.

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right, so you were the best player you knew. You still weren't good enough to play professionally. I know tons of players who are outstanding by the standards of the game as they now play it - most of them have some form of brief (or even prolonged) flirtation with the professional game in their past. But none of them are good enough to have made it.

18. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    I was talented, but had to stop around 12 for health reasons. I highly doubt I would have been 'division 1' material though anyway.

And if I was able to keep playing, I probably wouldn't have been properly exposed to the ways and knowledge of developing myself to full potential, like they know in places such as England or Holland.

19. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    "Right, so you were the best player you knew." Nope, Romario was better. :D

Seriously though, I believe I would have made it big if the changes in my attitude took place early on. Better yet, if there was no chnage but the inspiration happned to me early as a kid.
    In addition, I am also saying one can change his/her game later in life.

The other point is, I wouldn't have asked this question for say, American football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, because 99.9999999% of the reply would be "I was not big enough"

20. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    For most older Americans the answer is simple. Living in the US itself is an impediment. "No professional leauge unitl recently"

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fine. But ... you know. That doesn't mean anything.

22. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most of the good young players fall in with the wrong crowd, Gary Lineaker, for example, readily admits that he was nowhere near the best player amongst his peers when he was a teenager though he was the only one who made it.

23. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think good technically, I can do many things with the ball at my feet and Im full of tricks. But as for playing, I played in highschool but quit after I graduated and went to University. I got some good skills but just didnt have the dedication, I never imagined myself as a professional player and saw no future in playing US ball. I have no stamina whatsoever, the thought of running around for 90 minutes is scary for me.

For me it was all about the fun, I played for fun, not to be a pro.

24. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    This is so so interesting. Must be applicable to most.

25. lamrof

lamrof Member

Apr 8, 2005
    This falls in the "lack of desire" catagory. enjoying the game itslef should be fulfulling without the pressrure of winning. For some ppl that is not enough though.