Why the US Men Will Never Win a World Cup by Beau Dure

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Nov 22, 2019.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The latter definitely.

Travel in youth soccer is a trade-off between time/cost and level of competition. I personally have no idea which way moving the scale is better.

Mahtzo1 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beau points out where two high level prograi from Minnesota don't play each other but travel all over for similar competition. That's just wild to me.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn SquareHeads.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why the US will never win a World Cup
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...team-captain-tyler-adams-or-christian-pulisic

Neither Adams nor Pulisic are particularly good Captain material which is why we are far from winning a WC.

Whoever gets the Adams baby sitting job might do but we don't know who that will be yet. Laimer does it at Leipzig. Pulisic will be fouled and double teamed constantly and needs a Captain who would make a good advocate.

I think Dest might make a good candidate eventually but he is young. McKennie would choke. Arriola? Ream wasn't a bad captain but I don't see him starting in Qatar. Jozy knows Spanish. Pomykal but who knows if he starts.

I can see why Berhalter is rotating the role because nobody really stands out.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you really dislike Adams it seems. Havent frequented the actual soccer threads since the beginning of this coronavirus, so I cant attest to the last 6 weeks or so. But prior to that, it seemed you could only find the most begrudging acknowledgments of his talent. And it appears that nothing has changed.

jaykoz3 and DHC1 repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not what players are saying. Whenever Adams is mentioned on the BSI podcast his peers rave about his smarts, drive and leadership.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep. I've never seen someone so young so universally lauded and mentioned as a future captain from both club and national teammates.

I find captain debates amongst fans kind of silly; the attributes you want in a captain are largely things we will never see first-hand. Yeah, we can see people communicating on the field, but that's it.

TCS35, Mahtzo1, IndividualEleven and 3 others repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when we talk about the "athlete gap" or American soccer not attracting the kind of athletes of the other big sports, we mean dudes like Tyler Adams. Not just physically gifted, but the smarts / mentality as well.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams has elite talent. I played d3 football 20 years ago and we had some MF sized guys running 4.4ish 40s with 30+ inch verts. I wonder how many of them ever even tried soccer... On the plus side, I bet their kids are giving it a go.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If their kids have those kind of physical stats the pressure will be enormous from the local football coaches. I have seen it first hand. Takes a strong family to keep resisting from “just giving it a try”. Of course, if the family has a soccer culture it helps immensely.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a big step will be if/when soccer is ubiquitous enough that guys know if they are any good. I feel like most Americans have a decent understanding of their basketball ability to the point where we probably don’t miss many NBA stars.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are referring to my comment that he would be known as an elite passer when people were dumping on his passing, I believe?

It's ok if you think he is a bad passer but I've seen enough to know he will be really great with enough reps.

Edit: b.t.w., my conclusion was that nobody stands out as great captain material but you seem to take this as a slight to Adams and not to everybody else on the team. You really dislike the team, it seems, a part from Adams.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it as a slight on Adams because you have made quite a name for yourself with your constant shots at him. You don't harp on and on about the negative in any of our other "elite" (for lack of a better word) players. You could hardly contain yourself in that post, arguing that maybe the person who "gets the Adams BABY SITTING job" should be the captain. Holy crap, seriously? He needs babysitting to you? But yeah, it is about the team ... c'mon, man.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If you think he doesn't like Adams, wait until you see what he writes about Tyler's friend Weston. It's like McKennie did something wrong to the Excellency family at some point....

nobody and jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Get well soon.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly what they said about my Kellyn Acosta criticism when I didn't buy into Ives' declaration that we should get used to seeing Kellyn patrolling the midfield for the next decade for the US men. Supposedly he was going to be the leader. The silliness people buy into around here is high school level. Grow up.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    b.t.w., what is the view around here of how Nagelsman is using Adams? My guess is that he wants to exploit his elite passing while allowing the smarter more experienced Laimer to "patrol" the 6.

Thoughts? (see title of thread)

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    There's quite a large gap between Kellyn Acosta and Weston McKennie.

There's also a very large gap between Delgado/Roldan and Weston....

Eighteen Alpha and Excellency repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Finally something I agree with. Tks.

20. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Insider info about Adams’ personality around the time he was breaking into RBNY’s XI is one of the reasons I became more bullish on him than I already was:

https://chasingacup.com/ynt-prospects-probabilities-and-possibilities/

Naglesmann has been using his ability to cover ground and be effective inside and out wide by having him defend as a wingback and then come inside higher up the field to free attackers wide and counterpress high in more central areas. He also played as a standard RBL DM in a 4-2-3-1 but the hybrid RWB->RCAM thing feels like the A-team look (it was used against Bayern).

ChrisSSBB and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually heard several stories about NFL players not wanting their kids to play football because of injury potential and steer them into other sports. I can't imagine the grind on a body of years and years of football practice and games. Lots of those guys can barely walk when done and then there are those with the head trauma. Now families whose dads weren't pros like to live through their kids and that is most and would be tougher to talk out of.

DHC1 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was watching the USA Jamaica game where Berhlater was taking the trash out just 3 hours before the deadline for his final roster for Gold Cup 2019.

I like Roldan but, unlike Berhalter, I like a midfielder for my national team who plays the middle third. This goal is all too typical of Roldan's play in the middle third (which doesn't matter to Berhalter). Enjoy the full game or go to 1:07:18 for the goal sequence. Notice how the Reggae boyz construct the perfect crucible for creation of a goal with their triangle just below the centre circle. You'll never see that from Berhlater.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems about right. Steffen summarized it pretty well.

You'll see posts below talking about how we need to get so and so on the team and we'll see identity and leadership but the fact is that we need an identity for our roster of 23, not our best xi. Our best xi have very little chance of being together at crucial moments.

25. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'll just say: I've been involved in a big expose coming out on US soccer in the next few weeks here.

Be prepared for the insanity of Jay Berhalter to blow your mind even further.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.