Why the US Men Will Never Win a World Cup by Beau Dure

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    the first bolded is true if you look at the surface numbers. If you look at the numbers in more detail, I think they would look a bit different. The participation/interest levels are quite high, as you point out, but we aren't going to get many top quality players from kids that are not "hardcore" soccer nuts. I think the best indicator of the "hardcore level" in a community is pickup soccer. At lunch, after school in the streets. I think it is pretty hard to argue that it has gone up a huge amount almost everywhere in my area...but that is a pretty low bar. Many/most areas still lag far behind the immigrant (mostly latino) communities in this regard. I have seen the difference first hand. My family is in a predominantly white neighborhood but I teach and have taught for the past 30+ years in largely latino schools. The difference is pretty obvious. The gap is closing, but it is still quite large.

The places you mention have high percentages of latinos (Araujo is from Sacramento?). If you look at LA and So Cal in general, the majority of the best players are coming from latino areas. IMO, where many of the non latino players benefit in LA is the "overlap" in competition due to the proximity of the latino and non-latino areas.

2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Exactly.

We have numerous country sized regions with populations and population densities that are similar to European nations as well as large metropolitan areas with several million inhabitants (Seattle, Dallas, Chicago etc) that can provide all of the raw soccer talent we can use but it will take time (IMO). As the soccer density improves, we will be more able to take advantage of those areas. Until then, excessive travel will be an unwelcome issue that we have to deal with

So Cal has a population of 24+ Million
    Nor Cal pop 15+ Million
    Dallas Fort Worth Pop 7+ Million
    The greater New York population is 20+ Million
    Boston-Washington Codrridor 50+ Million
    Eastern seaboard pop 118 Million

Netherlands has a pop of 17+ Million
    England has a pop of 55+ Million
    Germany has a pop of 82+ Million
    Italy has a pop of 60+ Million
    Spain has a pop of 46+ Million

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It seems odd to worry about club affiliations when the obvious consistent link is Kleiban. Many of those kids go all the way back to u11s before joining Chivas.

I don't get this slow build concept with LAFC. The club is just in its third year and already has a successful academy.

Unfortunately for USMNT fans that the LAG are too shortsighted and got rid of one of the best developers of talent in the US. We need hundreds or even thousands more coaches like him and MLS fans act like firing him was the only option. We should all feel better that the Galaxy have two people with strong connections to the mexican federation on their staff.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you ultimately cannot force people to like or watch a sport, no matter how much of it is shown on TV. They'll either like it or they won't.

Plus, soccer is also viewed by much of the country as a "boring," "low-scoring sport," where lots of effort is exerted, but you have little to show for it, unlike in Basketball or NFL football. America is an instant gratification society that wants everything now. Soccer is the fundamental opposite of that mentality.

That early Simpsons episode that mocked soccer was right about that.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your stance. That said, the current generations also don't want to commit lots of time watching a sport on TV or in person. This where Soccer has a huge advantage over American Football and Baseball. Soccer games take 2 hrs (not including single elimination playoffs/tournament games). You can easily plan/schedule around a soccer game. American football games can take up to 4 hrs, same with Baseball. Plus there are no commercial brakes, so it does keep their attention. To a lesser extent, Rugby is beginning to become more popular here in the states as well for the same reasons. Fluid game, done in under 2 hrs.

The older generations view Soccer and Rugby as foreign sports. Therefore they aren't interested in them. Plus those sports were derided during the time the older generations grew up, which heavily influenced their views of soccer as a competitive sport.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of a professional game was a huge impediment. In the 1900's-1930's, when professional soccer was still in its infancy, we were plenty good at soccer. Lots of European immigrants and their descendants, that enjoyed the game and were good at it. Subsequent immigrants since then have continued to love the game.

What changed? Soccer outside the US became a mainstream, professional sport. Soccer in the US became completely amateur.

Marko72 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thing happened to Rugby Union, but unlike Soccer, Rugby Union was completely amateur in all countries until the 1990s.

8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, rugby lost in this country to football for that reason. And not metaphorically. Rugby was mainstream. Football, because they paid their athletes, took rugby over, both its fanbase and its players.

We'll see whether or not MLR is enough to get us above "decent Tier II nation"-status. We're good at 7's, but that's a different game altogether.

If we're talking about games finishing fast, 7's is the sport for you!

jaykoz3 repped this.
  9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Team Handball as well, which is getting a pro league in the USA in 2023...

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of it. I do see that the NYAC has the most national handball medals, which is neat because my uncle and his family are members there.

Considering we're so far behind the rest of the world in this super-niche sport, I wouldn't hold my breath for any Olympic or World Championship appearances any time soon.

11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how we're so far behind the rest of the world in Men's soccer, I'm not holding my breath for any Olympic or World Championship appearances any time soon, either.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many years ago, in college I took an elective from the PE department, on sports of the world.

They introduced us to team handball (I suspect national handball medals are not team handball but New York City style wall handball) as one of the sports, and eventually the better players (not me) put on a exhibition at half time of one of the varsity basketball games.

One of the players was a guy that was on the baseball team, he absolutely killed everybody.

I suspect that, unlike soccer, with the number of hand and eye sports we have in the US, we could get pretty good, pretty fast...

For those not familiar with team handball, it's essentially water polo on a basketball court.

Master O repped this.
  13. It's lightning fast, high energytic, ferocious. I like it very much.
    And the Orange women team recently became world champions. If you thought we're only good at soccer, think again
    [​IMG] De Nederlandse handbalsters vieren hun overwinning op het WK handbal in Japan. Het team won met een punt verschil van Spanje. © ANP

Master O repped this.
  14. Dunno if it was in here quality comparisons between mls and championship were made, but Wayne Rooney in a Voetbal International article was cited to say that mls and championship are about the same level, apart from in the cs better players are present.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I said "appearances", not victories. To appear in the WC, we need to finish 3rd or 4th in CONCACAF.

In handball, we're not doing very well in regional tournaments.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handball's amateur in the US for now, so that's not too surprising. As for soccer, USSF's incompetence is a major impediment to that.

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter. We're still likely to qualify for major soccer tournaments in spite of USSF incompetence.

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I covered the Icelandic handball team in the 2008 Olympics. They were a trip. Damn good, too.

19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I’m enjoying your posts... my POV: paradoxically, I think winning the WC will precede massive popularity but be the catalyst thereof.

On another note, has anyone read this book besides me?

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    My God, you’re intense.... shiver

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s true. I’m intensely anti-racist.

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Then I guess you win

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a win or a lose. I'm just serious about not supporting racists when I have a choice. Breitbart is easy to avoid so I do.

DHC1 repped this.
  25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have now actually read the book and I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know. My thought from above holds.

My biggest takeaway is that we really need to cut down the travel in youth soccer because there seems to be no real advantage in the great majority of situations and we need to push cheap coaching education.

Beau Dure, jaykoz3 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.