Why the Red Stars must be back for 2011

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like many Chicago Red Stars fans, I was blind sided when I heard the news that the CRS are one of the teams that are having a hard time meeting financial obligations. I have talked to most of the owners over the course of 2 years and have developed a respect and a game-time friendship with most of them. I know they are dedicated individuals who are not just owners but are dedicated and passionate fans of this team like I am and many others who have been "never miss a game" CRS fans over two seasons. I have always assumed that we were one of the more stable franchises. So I am more shocked then anything.

But this team must be allowed and able to compete in the WPS 2011 season:

And here are my reasons why:

The fans - The CRS have one of the best attendance figures and some of the loyalest fans in the WPS even though we have had losing seasons. Can you imagine our attendance if we had a winning team? I think we would lead the league. I am convinced that the CRS have one of the biggest if not the biggest fan base in the WPS.
    Is the league going to allow one of it's top attendance teams to fold? That would be a big mistake, IMO.

Chicago - A big sports market and a huge soccer city. There hundreds and hundreds of youth teams in Chicago area and there is a market for womens soccer in Chicago. It would be a big, big plus for a legit league to have and keep a team in the second biggest city in the country.

Unfinished business - The Red Stars have turned the corner and have played much better in the second half of last season. But we did not make the play-offs either season. The fans who have supported this team deserve to see a winner. We had big dreams at the beginning because we had big players and if this team doesn't come back next season there will always be a sense of unfinished business for the organization and fans.

The organization - Over past 2 years I have gotten to know almost everyone in the Chicago Red Stars organization. I have never met a more dedicated, hard working and intelligent group of people. It would be a shame to waste all the hard work and dedication that was given by folks who are with the organization still and those who are not.
    Too much work was done. Too many long hours were put in, to give up now.

The players - We have some of the best players in the world. Karen Carney, I have always said is a true footbal player. Megan Rapinoe has style and skill, Casey Nogueira with her rocket shot, Marian Dalmy, the emerging leader of the team, "take no prisoners" Natalie Spilger, and my favorite player, Whitney Engen, who plays with heart and is a rock on defense. And all the other kids who play their hearts out for us each and every game.

The love for the team - Many fans have developed a love for this team for several reasons. From the little girls with their big smiles when Natalie Spilger stays in the Club long after the game is over to sign autographs, take pictures and answer their questions. And the players who are always approacheable and nice. The funny and popular egg tossing contests at CRS fan's cook-outs. So many good things to like about this team.

The game day experience - From the adults who have developed friends and associates while sitting in their sections at beautiful Toyota Park.

To the Parents and friends of players both home and away teams who would come to Toyota park on game day and later go up to the Club and enjoy a good chat.

The Toyota Park pregame tailgates that so many families enjoyed with little ones, teenagers, adults, cooking, eating, running around, kicking a ball and having a blast.

To those of us BigSoccer posters who met for the first time at Toyota Park or at away games.

Because of this team and league I have met some very cool people like Cville K C, rockagirl, fanaddict, suncraver03, kool-aide, charbs21, StarCityFan, my buddy ratdog and many others.

I certainly hope that we get the financial backing that we need and things start falling into place. I hope that we will be back next season and I look forward to being in my Club seat at Toyota Park.
    And to cheer as loud as I can for my Red Stars.

Go Red Stars!

2. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    I hope Chicago can make it happen too. My west coast teams are gone, but my hometown Chicago deserves a team in 2011. My sister and nieces have been season ticket holders for the CRS and have loved attending the games. Toyota Park is beautiful and I am praying the team survives.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points raised. Plus being the 3rd largest city in the country gives you guys a huge population base to draw from.

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to agree with all of the reasons given above. Well said by all and I would like to add a few of my own thoughts.

So that future young players can watch Amy LePeilbet, Elise Weber, Julianne Sitch, Jen Buczkowski, Brittany Bock, and Erin Walter (all from the Chicago area), can learn from them, and aspire to be like them. The loss of the Red Stars would basically keep 20 more players from being able to follow their dreams.

From a league standpoint, if Chicago goes away, this basically becomes a regional league. Yes, the players will still be from the same national talent pool, but the perception may well be that the league isn't really a national league and that's just not going to help the league's reputation a bit. And losing a 4th team of the original seven doesn't help either.

The Chicago Red Stars organization and their fans reached out to Athletica fans when we lost our team. They offered what amounted to free tickets (we could exchange our Athletica tickets for Red Star tickets) and they didn't have to. They even put up with us cheering for the Red Stars' opponent, the Atlanta Beat, because they knew that a lot of our former and favorite players had ended up on the Beat. Something they didn't have to do, but showed a hell of a lot of class.

And from a personal (and a purely selfish) standpoint, Chicago is the only team within reasonable driving distance for me at this point. For those people who have not actually been to a game, it is a whole different experience watching in person. Watching on television or webcast or matchtracker or whatever is simply not the same as watching these women play in person.

Like MRAD12, I have met a lot of great people from all over the country because of this league. I would hate see another part of it get chipped away.