Why the Premiership is crap

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by leg_breaker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    1. Stupid kickoff times.
    2. Ripoff ticket prices, twice as high as the rest of Europe, yet it's no more entertaining.
    3. You can't stand up.
    4. You can't have a drink.
    5. Out of town stadiums.
    6. Teams outside the big four are just there to make the numbers up.
    7. Poor atmospheres.
    8. You get ripped off for everything, food, drink, parking, you're fleeced at every corner.
    9. The only way to compete is to have millions of shirt-buying plastic fans.
    10. Poor television coverage. No live games on free TV, shoddy camera work, dumbed down analysis, gobby commentators.
    11. Low quality of football.
    12. Only the big four get any attention or media hype. If two small clubs play a 4-4 thriller, the back page story will be Steven Gerrard sneezing.
    13. If a club produces a decent local player who can so much as kick a ball straight, a big four club comes and buys them, and the small club have to replace them with some dodgy mercenary.
    14. Small capacity stadiums.
    15. Never an exciting title race.

2. Aussie_gunner_14

Aussie_gunner_14 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Adelaide
    my friend welcome to EUROPEAN football, not just the premiership

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    You're the same guy that proposed merging various leagues, right?

4. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Interesting post leg breaker. So you are not a fan of the Premiership? Easily sorted, don't watch it or pay any attention to it then. Problem sorted.

5. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because they have hairy blokes with bad touch kick it 50 yards up the pitch in hopes of finding an average wash up forward who only looks decent skilled because he is in the premiership.

6. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    4-0 was a fairly bad result I guess :rolleyes: :p

7. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for whom?

8. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Wigan, you have them listed in your profile, I thought you were describing them on your post above. Apologies, my bad :p

9. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since the US national team is nearer to my heart than them I thought you were refering to the 4-nil shalacking of guatamala ;)

10. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the first to admit that I am not a live-and-die supporter of european clubs. Its kind of hard to follow anyone with real passion when you dont have much of a chance to see them.

11. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is too expensive so is the Championship. I wish he'd stop saying big 4 though.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't support a Premiership team then.

None of your points are wrong, of course. But one of the good things about being treated like a consumer is that ... well, you're a consumer. And consumers get a say in what they spend their money on.

If you're from Bolton but you've got the EPL Blues, then I'm sure Bury would be glad of your support.

13. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I really hate about the Premiership is that there's a really big pond keeping me from going to more matches.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Small capacity stadiums? Poor kickoff times? Insufficient TV coverage? If he thinks English kick off times are bad, he should try going to Spain to see a game. Why they have kickoffs at 9PM on Sundays I'll never understand.

15. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I guess Real found out just how unskilled Henry is then.

Back to the orginal post. Looking at your list, I'd say these are problems with almost any big time sports league. I am suprized that the quality of football only came in at 11th on your list.

16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    :confused:

That's considered 'early' in Spain...

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not actually sure what an examiniation of average capacity per league would show you and I agree its not the strongest point he makes.

Well, they have them in the evening because it be hot during the day. And I for one would much prefer a nice 9pm on Sunday kick-off to 11.30 am on a Saturday. There's not a kick-off time worse than those - everyone's still half asleep and digesting breakfast, there's no time for a pint beforehand, it's just all-round shit.

As to TV coverage, I can only presume he's talking about teams other than the "big four" - it's undoubtedly true that we get shown with so great a regularity that your average Bolton fan might get a bit peeved.

18. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I think all games should be at 3pm on a Saturday but its TV's fault that they are moved. So choose between games on TV and crazy kick of times or no games on TV and one kick off time.
    I disagree
    Nope.
    The teams who have made bigger stadiums cant fill them e.g. Middlesborugh, Sunderland, Bolton...
    I remember a few.
    If some 6""6" guy stood in front of you the whole match how would you feel?
    Yes you can.
    The clubs are were the clubs started. Man Utd is were Man Utd started they arent just going to decide to desert the area.
    True but only recently
    Try White Hart Lane

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    On a terrace, you would just move. Having a massive guy sat in front of you in a modern stadium is far more inconvenient. To say nothing of a fat guy next to you. Why should legroom be an issue at the football?

He's referring to places like the Reebock, Pride Park, St Mary's, the Stadium of Light, the Madjeski.

20. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont agree with most of his points but he's rather spot-on with that one. Think Sol Campbell (I know, Ledley King, Problem Solved - but, still).

21. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Yeah i agree. I would personnally much rather have terracing but due to what happened at Hillsborough that is no longer possible.
    I dont know Pride or madjeski but the others are crap. The sooner those clubs get relegated the better. Hopefully other clubs will learn for the future.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. You know, Matt, shit's not censored anymore. Shit shit shit shit shit.
    2. You prefer a 9PM kickoff time on a Sunday? You clearly haven't talked to people who'd like to take kids to games. And I've been to Spain for kickoff at that time. Its ********ing freezing. Most of Spain's not really that hot during football season.
    3. Yes, ******** is still censored. ********.

Oh, I dunno - I've seen plenty of games by the "smaller" sides. But that's not a football complaint, that's a "life" complaint. You may as well complain your nephew's doodles aren't at the Tate Modern so that when you go you have to put up with all this Picasso nonsense.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Not for football kickoffs, smartass. And it means you don't get home until midnight from a game, so if you've been drinking, that usually results in a fun time at work on Sunday morning.
    Plus, I hate it as a tourist.

24. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    He's saying that if a club produces a decent player then a big four club comes and buys them. But i think its more if a club produces a descent player they sell him at the first opportunity they get. Could Man City of held on to Wright-Phillips? Im sure they could. But then they think he will walk away after his contracts up but that the risk a club should take.

25. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of saying the same thing. Small clubs are quite often "forced" into selling those types of players because the bigger clubs are willing to pay a price that they'd be foolish not to take, since the player could either then force a transfer or walk away at the end of the contract for nothing.

You just can't turn down 20m for any player