Why the hell should USL teams be allowed it the USOC

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Waltman's Original, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartford is too good for MLS really.

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    This is actually a lot funnier than anything Andy Kaufman ever did.

3. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I'll attempt to take this question seriously and say to help increase interest in soccer in cities outside the MLS towns. Seattle spanking Colorado, Chicago losing to Carolina, and DC United losing to Harrisburg (Harrisburg?!?), shows people that (1) their local team is not quite as "minor-league" as they might think, and (2) they get to see a major league team in person. They may pay a little more attention to their local team, at least during in the US Open Cup. I still can't believe that four of the best MLS teams from last year are not playing in this. It kinda diminishes the importance of the Cup.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I understand what you're saying. You're saying the Superliga is a money grab. Yes, the winner gets a million bucks. The USOC winner gets 100,000, and pride. Guess which one MLS teams are going to go after.

You say MLS isn't a nationally accepted league. That's true. But they have the ESPN contract. That's really all that matters. The USL could be in fact better than MLS, but if nobody saw it who would know?

I'm a USL fan by the way. I go to Rochester matches here in Western NY in our beautiful new stadium.

5. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was FIRST PAGE! w00t!

i pwnd all!

6. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    thanks for not having a clue about the history of our four Open Cups, and thanks for making the rest of us Fire fans look bad.

now if you are joking, you really need to join the Bassmasters Classic.

7. Parrish

Parrish Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Lincoln Park,Chicago
    A perusal of the posts indicates that she's 16 and thinks Chris Rolfe is "adorable".

Fire fans are hardcore like that.

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I think Chris Rolfe was injured when the Fire came to D.C. this year. I want a refund.

9. Sigil

Sigil Member

Jul 12, 2006
    SW Alabama

Fan insanity, bitter accusations, and questioning of opposing fans sexuality?

[​IMG]

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think quite honestly the best thing that could happen to the USOC would be for a USL team to win it this year. Perhaps that'll be the slap in the head MLS teams need to take the competition more seriously.

Quite frankly, I'm worried about the future of this tournament. The USSF, USL, MLS, PDL, etc. need to get together and come up with an appropriate reward for winning the thing. Or else, I see no reason why MLS should continue playing in it.

You think I'm crazy? Think of this. How many NASL teams won the USOC? The answer as far as I can tell is zero? NASL teams barely bothered to enter the thing. In fact, full professional teams didn't bother to enter until MLS did in 1996.

Now why didn't the NASL bother? What would have been the point? Why take the chance that Carlos Alberto would get injured playing Greek-American AC? Why take that risk if there was no reward? MLS could decide the same thing, and the USOC would continue on in obscurity. Now if the winner got a Concacaf Champions Spot? You'd better believe EVERYBODY would go after it.

Sorry to actually speak rationally in this crazy useless thread. Oh well, back to Will and Grace re-runs.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good reason. To scare off the newbies. :D

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you people who are taking this seriously and posting these long-winded arguments to the thread starter.

THIS IS HOW YOU POST, BABY!

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that from 2000-2006, only 11 USL teams have made it to the quarters and only two have made it to the semis? How much more ********ing seriously can the mother********ing MLS take it when they are getting almost seven out of eight QF berths each year, dominating the semifinals and winning every goddamned title this decade?

HUH?

HUH?

Jesus Christ, some of you people are dense. It's one bad year. MLS waxed the USL last year (the only MLS team to lose to a lower division team was Chivas against Dallas Roma). Lighten the ******** up and enjoy the games.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I think Seagroves and Bridgeview Turd took care of that a while ago. ;)

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16:eek: I take back my request to see her pictures but she sounded so mature for a Fire supporter.

16. soccerexchange

soccerexchange New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    St Augustine FL
    you know...i thought this guy was just joking when he started this thread, but after reading his profile i really think he believes his crap!! your smacking USL but you put down the battery as one of your favorite teams...put down the crack pipe

17. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The really funny thing is she gets her screen name from Danny Waltman who before playing with the Detroit Ignition was a wait for it .....

A SEATTLE SOUNDER!!!!!

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm with whoever it is that said that this thread is pretty useless.

Apparently somebody forgot just what a cup tournament is supposed to be about. It's an "open" cup, and the little guy could win it. It's up to the big boys to defend it...

Most of the time the big guy wins it. Occasionally a little guy pulls an upset. That's part of what's interesting about a cup.

None of this should be news.

19. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    I can't believe this was kicked to the front page.

It has both given me the desire to post on bigsoccer again, and reminded me why I have kept my distance.

Kudos BS. Maybe I'll start checking up on you more often if I am going to get to laugh like this every time.

20. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do enjoy the random assortment of posters a front page article garners. Usually I'm just posting with the Arsenal folks, it's nice to see some different people!

21. Kuykendall

Kuykendall New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I think allowing an open cup where any one can compete is the sport at it's finest. Alot of talent can come together, and it helps put in check the Ego's of superstars when they get beaten by someone who's just a little bit more hungrier.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    wow, kick it thing just paid for itself in entertainment, I'd never see this without it :D

23. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    New England.

Where Chicago's season ends.

24. Waltman's Original

Waltman's Original New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Chicago
    I am a HARDCORE FIRE SUPPORTER/HOOLIGAN. AND I AM ALSO FRIENDS WITH CHRIS ROLFE. AND YES I DO THINK HE'S ADORABLE. SO YOU ''LOLLYGAGGERS'' CAN SHUT UP NOW

AND WHO CARES IF I LIKE CHRIS ROLFE?!

25. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    I think the original poster was onto something with an MLS-only format.

Y'know what would be cool?

MLS could set up a tournament at the end of the year where, oh, the 8 best teams play in a home and home format. And the team that wins gets a cup from the league.

Yeah, that would be awesome!