Why the Hell Do We Need This Forum?

Discussion in '"US Supporters" Supporters Club' started by nancyb, Jun 28, 2004.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I didn't see this post you replied to in this thread, nor does it appear to have been deleted. Did you post a PM from jmeissen0 here?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the point of this forum and "US Supporters".
    Sam's Army is the supporters group for the US and there is no need for a few guys with a big ego to start up a new group so they can try to feel important in the soccer community.

This forum and group should be done with.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Height of rudeness.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I must admit that this forum seems superfluous, looking at it from an outsider's point of view. It would seem that "USA Fans" and "USA Supporters" are the same thing, and that any matters pertaining to one would be equally at home in the other.

I would also wonder about the Women's WC forum. The only active topic for months has been the one asking why the forum hasn't been deleted yet.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
  8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a group of people who don't have a problem with another group of people, but created a splinter group (which often includes criticism of the group they allegedly don't have a problem with), want their own message board in order to unify support of the national team?

Supporting the national team is a wonderful thing. I'm glad to know we have more than one way of being told how to do it.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "U.S. Supporters," like their web site, are effectively in a Beta test phase.

I think it's fair to suggest that U.S. Supporters are something of a splinter group - having broken away from Sam's Army, but are still in the process of finding their place in the grand scheme of things.

Only time will tell if/how they develop, but as Sam's Army has shown, it takes a great deal of hard work, personal sacrifice, and relentless promotion to maintain the viability of the group, and this is a process that takes a long, long, time.

The Magpie

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy smokes that is sad.

He gave you negative rep because of what you posted? If he did that he should be embarassed. What are we in the 3rd grade here? Jesus.

I do agree with most others though in that this forum seems to be foolishly redundant.

Andy

11. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    You don't even know the half of it.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks Magpie.

I had no idea what that was about, then I found this site that was set up by US Supporters.

So what's the dilly? Can't they set up their own web message board? It's pretty easy to do.

And this is a "beta" version? I mean, I'm a programmer by profession, but that is incredibly geeky.

So, are US Supporters related to those Wanks Army, or whatever they were called?

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Oh, do tell. ;)

14. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Synopsis has been PM'd.

15. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    yah he did...but he lost the Great Nipple War of 2004 in the end...

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    God forbid the US have any other group of fans besides Sam's Army :rolleyes:

Get off the guys back people, if they want to organize another supporters group, more power to them.

In the meantime, I suggest you get the knots out of your panties about this forum, if it bothers you, do you really need to post in it?

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, now I'm all curious.

Should I have known before, oh, eighty-seven seconds ago, that there was a specific group called US Supporters(TM), as opposed to the generic existence of supporters of the United States National Team, and more generally as opposed to Sam's Army(TM)?

Because I very much want to join one and hate the other, whichever the case may be.

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NattyBo- It seems like a bad precedent to me. And from the name of the forum, it sounded almost just like what the Fans and Travel forum is supposed to be about. It wasn't until folks got defensive that I determined the purpose. And, so now we have folks talking about the first caps, etc. here. I'm guessing those threads were moved from elsewhere and didn't originate here.

19. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just form the United States Riot Squad show how we do it West Coast style. Sounds to me like this US Supporters group is an East Coast deal. Yeah, that's the ticket: East Coast vs. West Coast supporters of the USNT.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    [​IMG]

"West side iz best!"

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the point.

The problem with Sam's Army (TM) is that it has, from what I understand, gotten proprietary over things such as name and logo useage. That sucks because the generic term "Sam's Army" is pretty well known, but the "official" use is regulated, making others seem like they are left out of the party.

If there is a schism, the way to fix it is not by segmenting even more. And by perpetuating a group that says it isn't exclusionary, then goes on to bash SA (official), they do nothing to fix the schism because so many people don't know the difference between official Sam's Army and generic Sam's Army. So they just see it as bashing US fans.

To the best of my knowledge, Sachin started this thing in good faith to bring people together. not drive them apart. However, I have seen actions and read words from others that has been 180 degrees from Sachin's intention. Like a rant by someone else about how much Sam's Army sucks before the first US Supporters section for the El Salvador friendly.

You don't bring people together by saying "those guys suck." You don't bring people together by creating a seperate message board from one for all US fans.

That's why people don't like this idea.

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. This is just sad. I'd like to hear from people who set it up (i.e., Admins), but I assume that'll never happen.

23. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This forum was created at the request of a supporters club. We give all supporters clubs that ask for it free forums to link to their web site. Typically though we don't show the forums on our master list. Why we did it differnetly with this forum, I don't know. But this forum will remain for their use, but I am taking it off the master list for all the confusing reasons. That shoudl work for everyone. I'm also changing the name of this forum, see above.

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I heard too.

Anyway, I'm just the kinda US fan who likes to drink a bit before the game, toke before the game and sing with reckless abandon during the game. I'm not in Sam's Army, or any other group (with exception to my MLS culb affiliation). Like most people, I just like to be in a section where others are like minded and not silent in their support of the national team.

That's it. This infighting makes every fan (whether they are a part of this back and forth griping) look a bit foolish.

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huss - I appreciate the response. I didn't realize that BS offered this service.

My final comment is that I'm not affiliated with any particular group, but I enjoy the opportunity to meet other US fans. If the US Supporters have arranged particular sections, gatherings, etc., I hope that they'll publicize it US Fans and Travels for all to see.