Why the hate against Beckham and not against Donovan?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dathay, Mar 2, 2009.

1. El Paisa

El Paisa New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Beckham admist he'll get booed

you really should read other threads, there is already a thread about this

3. DEspursFAN

DEspursFAN New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Delaware
    I'd like to thank Steven and Kenny from World Soccer Daily for mentioning us:
    www.toplessshirts.com
    on the Wednesday show. We're happy to announce that the "Becks" shirts is now available!

Thanks to everyone.

4. LA GALAXIAN

LA GALAXIAN Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TheGodofSoccer

TheGodofSoccer Red Card

Mar 12, 2008
    Heaven
    Maybe it's because we BigSoccer posters, who represent .00000045% of the entire American soccer audience think our opinion counts more than the tens of thousands of people that Beckham puts into the seats every game.

We write those people off as "not true soccer fans", even though they pay just as much as us to get into the games.

Most of my British friends wouldn't be caught dead at an MLS game, unless Beckham is there. I point out to them that they can't be true soccer fans, since Becks is rubbish and we hate his wife and his money and his charity work and his mansion and his skill and his world cup caps. This is just before they kick my arse.

6. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So not all the Gods can do basic math [One day we have to set up a minimum IQ requirement for a God. If one doesn't make the grade, then Ragnarok his/her celestial ass]. As a conservative estimate [it is definitely more than that] let's set out there are 1,000 different posters over a period of a month on BS. A month seems like a reasonable period for a currently active poster to show their activity. Now, God of Soccer sets out that these 1,000 represent .00000045% of the "entire American soccer audience ".
    Ok, .00000045% is 0.0000000045 as a decimal. Setting up the proportion equation " 1,000 : ASA as 0.0000000045 is to 1 " we get the fractional equation 1,000/ASA= 0.0000000045 / 1.
    So, ASA= 1,000 / 0.0000000045. Since I don't have a calculator, to make life easier I approximate the denominator as 0.000000005 [which actually is conservative, as it now will definitely give a lower estimate for ASA than if keeping the original "GodofSoccer" value]. This comes out to be, then, 200,000,000,000 i.e. the God of Soccer claims the American Soccer Audience is 200 Billion souls. Now the Population of Earth is under 8 Billion. Uh oh, God, you don't compute ;)

Ok, enough on the joys of innumeracy; let's return to to the purported point behind Gods' revelations. Which is?
    That his Brit friends would beat the crap out of God if he didn't worship at the Idol of Beckham in the same awestruck fashion they do. And if he must give obeisance to his Brit friends, and the starstruck gaggle of teenage cacklers who flock to Beckham like paparazzi to Lohan share with his Brit friends the awestruck worship at the Idol of B., then he must give obeisance to the cacklers. And if God gives obeisance, then we sorry Yankee chumps who merely know our footy had better get down on knees and start obeisanting big time.
    That's quite a point you got there, God. But, and feel free to call me Satan's minion, you're full of horsewhacky--and not just because your logic is merde. You see, many of us on these boards have seen Beckham at "work" since his jolly youthful days at Manchester [we also saw Terry Cooke, and Jovan Kirovski, but that's another sad memory]. And, in doing so, we have never seen such a high ratio between the players celebrity and his actual talent. Now,this was a reasonably modestly skewed ratio early on, but went bananas when he got all Posh. And by the time we got to bask in his presence in MLS, we saw a Hollywood Star with near Edilsonian effectiveness [except for two months under Ruud, where he approached Terry Cookean effectiveness :p.].
    How did Beckham actually play in MLS? Overall, like crap. For two months just good enough to make the top 25-30 players in the league. How did Beckham elevate his team? He didn't. He left it worse than he started, and -- this is where "Beckham is a dick" comes in-- he never seriously tried to make it better but instead went around surrounded by a gaggle of his worshippers and basking in the glory of himself.....
    Not that I'm suggesting you were one of those, of course :D

In short, the poster you were responding to, Flapjack, had it exactly right. Landon Donovan is admired because he did his utmost by his team and always showed true respect for it; and played very very well in doing so. All the while with remarkably little celebrity for a local hero. Call him the Anti-Beckham. And Beckham? He's the Anti-Donovan.

Don't worry, God, you shall see your Beckham , And He will play reasonably well, on occasion, for Milan, and will walk as a rival to you in Godhood, and will be injured on convenience to avoid MLS play. But in the world cup England will fail yet again, and your Brit friends will still threaten to beat you up as Beckham cries his tears on the telly. Enjoy!

7. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So do you guys have the urine bags ready, or he's only going to be pelted with hot dogs ?

I would actually buy a ticket to a Galaxy game to see that.

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm British, a Man U fan, a rare "Beckham in the England Team" advocate and yet even I find it shortsighted to follow Galaxy based purely on Beckham's presence. Your English friends wouldn't be seen dead at an MLS game that didn't include Beckham? That's because:

A) They aren't that into footy and are attracted by his celebrity.
    B) Like some Americans I know, regards the MLS as such a low standard that they can't be bothered to watch.
    C) They are possibly Man U fan expatriates who like the idea of seeing an old idol play in person.

Having said that, if you go to England, you'll see thousands turning out each week to see their local team, be it Chelsea, Lincoln City or Degenham and Redbridge, because there is such a thing as supporting your local team. As a Man U fan, I've fallen foul of the masses who do such a thing in England because it is such a passionate and prolific area or British Football culture.

Many of these teams are far worse than LA Galaxy and don't have anything like a David Beckham, nor might they ever, but those attending every home game are "true football fans". Those that turn up to the HDC, sit on their hands until Beckham collects the ball, at which point they spontaneously go nuts, are not "true football fans" in my opinion, because they are there to see the latest trend. If you think that's not true, then it's worth noting that this is the only time in a life surrounded by the game that I've witnessed a team refunding a percentage of season tickets based on one player leaving!!

9. LA GALAXIAN

LA GALAXIAN Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well by quickly looking up statistics of 2006 season (=pre-Beckham) the attendance went up by mere 20% since his Crappy Highness arrival. I haven't noticed anyone sitting on their hands..when the goal was scored by our player we all cheered so...as for the refund: obviously they did feel right raising the price first with Beckham in the line up ...while now keeping it up without him would be a bit..uhmm..ackward.....hope that helped....~

10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While Beckham gets a lot of credit for increasing the Galaxy attendance, much of this 20 percent talk is puffery.

If you look at the regular season numbers for 2005 (the last year the Galaxy made the playoffs) and 2007 where they went to the last week, average attendance was pretty much the same 24,204 vs 24,252. Last year with a full DB and a first place team for the early portion of the year attendance only went up to 26,009. So realistically from a Galaxy only perspective, DB means about 1800 extra seats sold or 7.5 percent.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're sitting with the Galaxians I'm guessing...one of the more vocal sections. I'm not knocking you in particular or genuine Galaxy fans in general, but you have to understand, I've been to various Football grounds in England over the years and the HDC is generally very quiet by comparison. Yes obviously everyone cheers when the galaxy score a goal, but the atmosphere beyond that is very muted if you aren't sitting with you guys, the riot squad or the angels, especially compared to what I'm used to. Even my buddy who was not into soccer before he met me, noticed the vast difference in noise levels when Beckham receives a pass compared to the rest of the time. The whole place erupts. There are shouts, screams and squeals from all over the stadium. That, for one player is ridiculous when nothing, not a close shot, a last-ditch tackle, a good run is given anything close to the same reaction from the same people. I would argue that those people are there for the Beckham bandwagon and will be quite happy to jump off now that he's gone.