Why only 15K attendance for playoff match after 30k for reg. match??

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bourque312, Nov 13, 2003.

1. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Why are the playoffs pulling in fewer fans than the playoff games? Why are there 30k for the last 2 regular season games, & only 15k for a playoff game??

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago is a Bears' town.

The Bears were playing at the same time.

3. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    98% of sports fans on Sunday afternoon watches football.

4. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Damn bears!! Theyre not 1/2 the team that the FIRE are.

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoff games are always harder to sell because of short notice. The front office had 6 months to sell to groups to make the 30,000 crowd.Soccer does not get the publicity and hype that other sports do, so to get the word out that there is a game on a week or two notice is much harder.

6. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1- Sunday at Noon.
    2. It was cold.
    3.Bears played same day.
    4.It's not on the schedule
    5. It didn't get press/hype.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with 'They marketed the hell out of the actual return to Soldier Field.' These games allow for less time to market them to the general public and up awareness.

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Short answer: The game was not on the schedule.

Long answer: Well, it's long, but basically what it boils down to is that the game was not on the schedule.

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

So what are the predictions for tomorrow night?

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think 30k sounds overly optimistic. I'm thinking 23k.

But I'm just guessing.

Anyone heard anything from the front office?

11. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I was there today. Didn't really ask.

it seemed busy though, for what that's worth.

12. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
  13. jem708

jem708 New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Tinley Park,IL
    The night we had 30,000 there was great weather, evening weekend and many were curious to get their first look at the refurbished stadium. For the 15,000 playoff game we were up against the Bears, it was much colder, noon start time and a 2-0 lead on D.C. going into the game. If you combine all that plus little time for marketing, I think we did fairly well.

14. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    Look at it this way, at least the 15K at Soldier Field plus the Fire fans watching on ESPN2 came away much happier than the Bears fans. ;)

15. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

16. stringcheese

stringcheese New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    NSF is now OSF

The new Soldier Field mystique is over.
    Back to reality.

DMB will put two in the back of the net tonight.
    Zach will post a clean sheet.

Onward

17. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    MLS playoff attendances always suck. If "it wasn't on the schedule" was an issue, then put the damn games on the schedule back in March as "tentative." Then rearrange the dates if need be. The Football League teams of England and Wales don't seem to have problems rearranging their fixtures...

I'm guessing 12,819 for tonight's semi-final. I hope I'm way off.

18. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm going with 24,038 because A) IS PLAYOFFS!
    B) Last home game for 6 months (boo!)

19. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    this is not picnic! if you want picnic, then go to field with blanket! this is playoffs!!!!

20. FanofSoccer

FanofSoccer New Member

Jun 3, 2000
    It's not on the Schedule?

That's the reason soccer doesn't draw in the postg season? That's crazy! Every other pro team (and college) goes nuts for the playoffs. Not the MLS.
    The MLB playoffs weren't on the schedule for the Cubbies, but they did pretty well in attendance! And they increased the ticket prices!

Even the Marlins did well in the post season! Yet the MLS attendance takes a dive!

I don't know, it justg doesn't make sense!

21. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    14,610...sure, a little disappointing, but the crowd sounded and looked great. Congrats to all the fans who made it out to Soldier in the cold tonight!

22. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Re: It's not on the Schedule?

Nope, it makes no sense at all. Everyone has an excuse, though, it seems. I'd hate to see the playoffs scrapped, but if only the hardcore fans care, does it really matter from a business standpoint?

It's a shame that after eight seasons, the "casual" fan doesn't care about the playoffs. They seem to go to the meaningless regular season match on a summer night in June for the novelty aspect, for something somewhat cheap to do with their family, etc. etc. I know we have to "build our fan base," but how long is it really going to take for people to catch on to playoffs or the Open Cup or the Champions Cup and so on and so on? Are people dumb, preoccupied with other things, honestly couldn't care about soccer? It's frustrating as hell when I'm asked about my weekend plans, and when I say I'm planning on "watching the soccer playoffs" I'm met with look of confusion and a question of "there's a soccer league in the U.S.?" despite my scarves and pictures on my office wall.

23. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I also can't fully understand why pro soccer popularity hasn't expanded faster.

I started potential fans along with me to games. I took 4 to matches this year and believe I went 3 for 4 in creating new MLS fans. These folks have families and will probably buy 30 MLS tickets next year.

Mainstream media coverage for soccer is still so minimal. Think about how much media coverage the Cubs had for the playoffs. Literally like 5,000 times what the Fire have. The SunTimes literally came wrapped in an 8 page Cubs section every day.

24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The Playoffs don't do as well as regular games because there's no time to advertise and the media doesn't 'pump' the games. The Fire pulled in nearly 15K and that's good for a Friday without much advance warning.

25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS soccer and especially the fire rely so much on group ticket sales and short notice to get the word out doesn't help. Only in the last couple days did we get any media coverage.