Why Not Pareja????

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burn 2002, Jul 25, 2002.

1. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    As stated here many times.. When Oscar plays bad, the Burn play bad. When Oscar doesn't play, the Burn LOSE. Almost always!! So why isn't he an all-star?? A person that important to the team should not only be an all-star, but, should be considered for league MVP.. What do you all think??

2. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Also on another Pareja note... When playing in his home country he was always called "El Guapo" I told him we should start calling him that here. He said that would make him feel very good, and would feel just like the old days at home. Hey guys, can we get this chant started at the next game?? It would be good to have him on a high note as we roll into the play-offs. It's been a long year and alot of people are probably worn-down. Maybe this would be something to give OP a little spark as the Burn shoot for their second Open Cup and their first MLS Cup!! Go Burn!!

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ran "El Guapo" through Babelfish and it came out "the ladies' man." Is this correct?

[​IMG]

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While most Burn fans would rank Pareja as one of the teams MVP....

Major Media (who vote for MVP) won't vote for him for two reasons...

1. Kreis's Stats... goals, goals, goals... everyone loves a goal scorer.

2. Oscar doesn't lead his team in assists, which central mids are supposed to do.

In Dallas we know what Oscar does for this team, but the people voting probably don't.

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    That probably is the translation they went with when they ran this movie in South America. They rarely translate movie titles literally.

Burger King calls their "Whopper" "El Guapo" in South America. Anybody smell a promotion?

La Locura Rojinegra!

6. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Stats... stats... stats

All you need to know about Pareja if you have not watched the Red and Black play is that Pareja leads the league in Fouls commited, and is 5th in fouls suffered . In other words, he is always in the midst of the action.

La locura rojinegra

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what does "El Guapo" mean?

8. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Literally - Handsome
    Implied - Stud

9. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it meant ugly - like El Guapo from The Three Amigos.

10. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    That mi amigo was one of many bad bad jokes in that movie.

11. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I like Oscar, he's definitely living the American dream, and the type of guy you want on your team--great attitude. As for why he's not an all-star, I'll posit one simple suggestion--he simply isn't able to beat people with the dribble like you would typically think a central midfielder should be able to do. But there's no question that this season, when the Burn are doing so well, their "quarterback" should be under consideration for some type of honor.

12. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Well, as I recall, the Burn Supporter Groups pick the team's MVP or is that most popular player?

So, join the Inferno and get your vote in!!

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh.

I had a hard time keeping up with all the subtle humor sprinkled throughout that classic western.

14. dburn157

dburn157 New Member

Aug 13, 2001
    As far as not being able to beat people with the dribble, I would have to diagree. Although not one of the fastest midfilder's, his fakes on the ball are some of the best in the league and his touch on the dribble and being able to keep the ball close is outstanding.

Also, I love to watch Oscar work a ref. One minute he's in his face and the next , he's shaking his hand and patting him on the back. He's got it down to a real art.

El Guapo!

15. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Please explain "he isn't able to beat anyone on the dribble."

From what I've seen, Oscar is great on the dribble, especially in tight spaces. He can get out of jams, with three guys on him, like no one on this team.

16. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    As a suburban white boy it's interesting to me to hear "El Jefe" ask for a definition of "El Guapo!"

Anyone know a good El Guapo chant?

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Gazza's point is that while Oscar is very adept at maintaining position in tight quarters, he rarely attempts to take on defenders in upfield runs like, say, Peter Nowak or Chivas Martinez.

In my eyes, Pareja is more of a holding midfielder than a true attacking midfielder.

18. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Ok, that makes sense, VW. I agree, no doubt Oscar's a better holding midfielder, not as good at taking guys on as Vaca or martinez. But as a holding midfielder, he's outstanding, and worthy of league recognition. The problem is, it's not a glamourous position, so he doesn't get as noticed. The only time we notice, is when he's not there, which usually ends up in a Burn loss.

19. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    invaluable... mvp talents... ability to "keep-the-ball-away" from three players at once... which means he "draws" players to try and dispossess him... then he neatly finds a diagonally-cutting forward for a legitmate, well-constructed attack... it really doesn't get any better... oscar is the Burn mvp... ...

20. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Dangit Gazza! You're supposed to be on trial for DC United, not complimenting every MLS side! Get the back to DC Pronto! Sheesh, he gets in shape and already he's looking for a trade ...

Oh yeah, having Pareja there opens up a lot of things for Vaca, O'Brien (whom I still haven't seen play) and Chivas. But, there are a lot of good players this season, and with the USMNT thing, many weren't selected. Take Milton Reyes for example. If the Burn continue this fine run of form, there will be enough praise to go around.

-Tron

21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    BTW, the 'El Guapo' from the 3 Amigos flick was an oxy-moron type situation. Think of it like calling the biggest mother#$%r on the American football team 'Little John'.

Pareja is an excellent holding midfielder. I hope all those little punks I see at the Burn games are watching him and picking up some tricks.

22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Yes, you read my mind. I more or less meant that in the open field, he doesn't beat people one on one. The two people who say he probably has the best dribbling skills on the team or holding skills are absolutely right. I believe if he DID possess this skill, he'd be an MLS great.

He had a great game tonight--probably my player of the game for working so hard.

Oh, yes, I guess you all know I'm in the Capital City now. I will be in DC this week. Tiber Creek Pub on Monday. Hawk and Dove on Tues. Front Page on Wed. The Tombs on Thurs. Samantha's on Fri. Irish Times on Sat. Grog 'n Tankard on Sunday. Stay tuned for further details.

23. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I want your life! Drink one for me!

24. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Lemme do ya a big favor, bud...I'll drink half a dozen for ya ;)

25. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Don't forgt to scream "El Guapo" during the game Wensday!! If you see him after the game outside the locker roon,please be sure to ask HIM what it means..