Why not "Earthquake" Chivas USA?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Nepal Footy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    A good way for MLS to put an end to the failing Chivas USA experiment is to sort of do what they did with San Jose. Move the team to the next American city marked for expansion (Philadelphia, Milwaukee, etc.), rebrand the club and start a new history there.

Then form a totally new expansion team, with new players, in LA that appeals to the Latino community (e.g. Deportivo Los Angeles). This way you still keep two clubs in LA, one geared more towards the Hispanic community, while the anti-Chivaas USA crowd won’t feel as though they are supporting the leftovers of the old Chivas USA regime.

2. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    I guess you have been waiting for the bus too long......

3. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    You lost me right here.

4. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    the short bus that is... :cool:

5. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    By LA SOCCER NATION's factors of what makers a successful franchise. Chivas isn't doing too bad.

6. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Once they were reinforced, Chivas was drawing 18, 000 fans to the HDC, plus full house on the games against Galaxy. If the goats brings a better team next season-which its a possibility- they'll probably make a nice profit, I dont see the "failed experiment"

7. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Hmm--leading the league in team sponsorships. Playing in an MLS stadium. Doing respectably well at the gate with the worst team in the league.

Failed experiment? Not even close.

Just wait until they are competitive...

8. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Chivas isn't really a failed experiement. The Galaxy-Chivas games all sold out (I think?) and I saw in some newspaper article that other teams had attendance boosts thanks to Chivas. They sucked on the field but so did Real Salt Lake. It's called being an expansion team. Most of their opponent teams had a 9 year head start. It was an extremely different situation from 1998 when the league was just in its third year. Chivas also had higher attendance figures than San Jose. If San Jose couldn't draw for the Earthquakes, what would change importing a team of players that most fans don't know?

9. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Maybe the whole idea of moving teams around needs to be knocked on the head. All it just is alienate the already small fanbase. I don't see the point in moving a team from San Jose, just to move another team there. Nor is there any point in moving a team from LA to San Jose just to put another team in LA.

Everytime a team moves, its fanbase and history is reset, which is the opposite of what you want if you're going to grow a footballing culture in America.

10. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain. Seriously. What are you talking about?

Lee

11. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No. MOVE JAWALAKHEL YOUTH CLUB to San Jose ....now that's a failed experiment. :rolleyes: :D

What is the incentive to move from their current digs to San Jose. If anything, it seems CDChivas has gotten support in the local community for their biz.

From a past LA Times article:

12. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Show me at least one documented account where someone said Chivas USA was a failing club. Being against the idea of an already established team starting a new club in a new league is completely different. Don't say it has or is failing. That's silly.

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Chivas is doing fine financially, but the utterly bush-league "Chivas USA" name has to go. What's wrong with calling them "Club Deportivo Los Angeles"??

14. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because it ain't ChivasUSA and the marketing department are sold on the idea of "Chivas" on anything.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I did think "Chivas LA" probably would have been better than Chivas USA, but it ain't my dime.

16. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why not flip a coin to see where every team will play at the begining of each year. This way DCU can play in KC one year and DC the next and then Dallas the next. We'll all share players and jersey's and stadium and it will be grand. :rolleyes:

Why change Chivas to something else like Deportivo. I'd be offend that someone assumed I was that stupid as a Hispanic, in regards to the marketing that is. What would be the point. They would recognize that its the same gimmick, and also piss off and investor with $$$. Not wise.

And San Jose was not a rebranding of the club unless your talking about the Clash :rolleyes: The team that was in Houston was relocated. The Earthquakes still belong to SJ.

17. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    You'll only lose fans if you give away favorite players to another city. If there are MLS executives right now saying, "Houston's got a good team for next year and we can still go back to San Jose!" they're having a laugh.

Chivas USA have a lot in place and have done some energetic deal-making with the community. Good for them.

18. mlsfan31

mlsfan31 Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Chivas fan but give it a year or two.

As soon as they start beating LA DC and other MLS favorites (and they can with some GOOD MEX players)they will be HATED. At the same time their support will grow stronger and better.

That is what the owners are counting on. They just need a few good kills and both sides will fire up and explode. Then they will sell at home and away.

Because passion has a bit of hate. :D