Why no lower league fans?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by cmblfc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The most important football story of the week was Luton Town's triumph to reach Wembley for the Johnston's Paint Trophy. Shafted by the FA/League to the tune of 30 points, doomed to relegation, but on the way to wembley. A football tale to keep my faith in the game.

2. RavishingRobRude

RavishingRobRude New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    On The Couch
    Looton will be in the conf anyway next season..

3. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    RavishingRobRude

Yes Luton will be in the conference. And we can thank the FA/Football League for that. It's a shame that many in England are concerned only with the Chelsea's and the Man Utds that they forget about the authorities criminal behaviour towards smaller clubs, including Luton.

4. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Or maybe you should thank the years of overspending and making illegal payments to agents?

5. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    'Or maybe you should thank the years of overspending and making illegal payments to agents?'

Well thats one angle, another would be that Luton reported illegal bungs taking place and were punished severly. Which is hardly going to encourage future whistleblowers is it. It was the powers in the game actually punishing someone who tried to root out corruption, go figure the logic there. If the football authorites really went after teams for overspending, i'd think Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U would be docked points tomorrow, thing is those clubs are global brands these days, hardly in the FAs interest to pursue their reckless behaviour is it....

Luton were shafted pure and simple. several years of succesive points deductions by an incompetent body. if a big premiership team were in luton's situation, they never wouldve been punished in the same way.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    didn't Leeds with their 10 points deduction increased to 15?

The reality is that the FA needs to bring in rules to stop clubs overspending in the first place, rather than punishing clubs for problems that happened years before, often by people no longer at the club.

7. DenzilTFF

DenzilTFF New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And here was me thinking I'd be the only Millwall fan here.

8. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

See you in the Conf Prem next season , if we survive that is.
    Barrow afc loyal.:)

9. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually know(and play football with) a Huddersfield fan and Gillingham fan. They don't bother with the 'net though...

I phookin' hate Millwall.. ;)

Start a Grimbsy Town thread then...

As another Sheffield Wednesday fan did so long ago for us...

So sad for the Hatters. I hate to see them get bogged down like that.

On a side note I am watching League Championship football right now on espn36O.com Bristol City V Cardiff City...

10. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DenzilTFF

DenzilTFF New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aww so mean...

12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I post that in honor of a friend of mine who is a Gillingham fan... he really does hate Millwall... ;)

13. Norfolk Wanderer

Norfolk Wanderer New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I stumbled across this site yesterday after being on the net for years so in the UK this site is very obscure, I think the name of the site doesn't help for potential members from the UK, Big Soccer, or even Soccer is not something your average Brit would enter in a search engine to start with.

So, I did the registration and found my club isn't even listed in the favourites, I'm a Wycombe Wanderers supporter now living in Norfolk UK, I lived in High Wycombe until my mid 20's. Then theres no mention of Division 4 (I still call the leagues 1 through 4, bloody Premier League etc is all about publicity and money, my friends know what I'm talking about and the majority use the same definitions as I do anyway but for everyones sake on here, League 2). I get to watch the Chairboys as often as I can which is not as often as I would like.

As I live in Norfolk, I also support my local team, Diss Town FC and they are so far down the ladder that I doubt they've ever been mentioned before on this forum (not done a search though), I edit their match day programme and thoroughly enjoy my Saturday afternoons supporting them when I'm not watching the Chairboys.

I hope that answers at least part of your question.

14. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm a Luton Town fan, they're not listed in the faves either sadly.

15. Norfolk Wanderer

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was planning to come and watch the Luton v Wycombe fixture until I found out how much they charge for away supporters to get in but as a fellow Division 4 club supporter, I think that if this forum wants to encompass all then we should petition this site to at least include those club and the league in the choices they offer

16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with ya'. Until then start a thread... ;)

17. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think it's either 15 or 20 quid for away supporters at Kenilworth road these days isnt it? High I know, considering the level of football, but then I'm ok with it for now considering Luton's financial position - bumped up ticket prices are essential to keep the club going.

On a separate point, how do Wycombe supporters feel about Wasps playing their games at your stadium? it can't do much good for the pitch can it?

18. Norfolk Wanderer

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was quoted £23 for the Wycombe game the other week when I contacted the Luton club shop, I've no idea if that has changed since my call but I doubt it. I understand Lutons plight entirely and personally think you were well and truely dumped on from a great height by the FA.

The few times I've been to Adams Park this season the pitch has looked pretty good and those that I speak to say that although there are times when they resent the WASPS being there they admit (perhaps grudgingly) we would be in a very different financial position without them, so I think overall most would admit it's been a good thing for the football club. I've no idea what WASP's supporters think as I have no contact with them and like a many football supporters, have very little interest in the game either but I understand that they are experiencing a good following from Wycombe residents as well as traditional WASP supporters.

Entrance at Adams Park isn't that cheap either with a seat in the Frank Adams stand being £21, I've no idea what away supporters have to pay to get in the 'Dreams' sponsored Stand but I guess it would be similar as it is all seated

19. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

thats weird if it is 23 quid, main stand for home supporters only goes up to 20 quid max. unless theres some premium level I don't know about....I wouldn't rule that out actually.

Its good Wasps aren't ruining the pitch. I'm amazed these groundsmen can do so well at that levelwith a football team playing one weekend, and a rugby game the next. The pitch barely gets any rest. The time you gotta worry is when they bring in the NFL like at wembley.....

20. Norfolk Wanderer

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That was my main gripe on the phone when I called, I'd checked the club website and read it would be around the £15 to £17 mark, made the call and got quoted £23, it may be that it's considered an 'A' grade game knowing that there will be decent support travelling up from Wycombe.

I know £23 isn't outrageous but I'd be paying for three others as well and at the moment I can spend nearly a ton on better things, this Credit crap has seen me jobless since Xmas and even local non league football has become a bit of a treat just lately

21. DeadAirSpace

DeadAirSpace New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas / Luton
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

true, I hadn't considered that they're expecting a big Wycombe turnout and I guess they decided to up the prices. £23 is a lot when you compare it to England game tomorrow - tickets are apparently going for £30, which is suprisingly low really. They probably can't sell out for a friendly during this grim recession.

22. Norfolk Wanderer

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not being funny but England friendlies became a farce during Sven's reign as manager and I think the stigma has carried on. I know it's probably a good get together for the players with important games to follow but as with everything connected with the FA these days it's all about raking the cash in, I can remember the days when an England friendly was so cheap to go to that the travel cost more than the match ticket with a Home International ticket costing little more.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't hear that club's name without being transported back to "Ghost Town" by The Specials. (Diss Town, is 'coming like a ghost town)

24. Norfolk Wanderer

Mar 27, 2009
    Norfolk
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You've visted recently then! :rolleyes:

In the last few months the local high street has fulfilled the promise in the song and it has become a ghost town. Apart from that I gues it's not a bad place to live.

25. ArgyleEd

ArgyleEd Member

Jul 20, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a lower league fan, I support Plymouth Argyle, which I know get a seperate Championship section here but to most foreigners they're lower league, plus I'm fairly regular at Kingstonian, my local non league side playing in the Isthmian League Premier Division having been promoted last year. It's fairly obvious why there are so few lower league fans, it's a site aimed primarily at the US, I only stumbled upon it by accident and was so excited to see a whole thread dedicated to Argyle I had to join.