Why no Local TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Nick79, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    #26 Nick79, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Human pinball is fun, and the Blast are the best team, so it's just TV entertainment, I'm no soccer purist, I never played until I was 28 years old and played GK in a rec league and then never watched on TV until my daughter began playing, when I was like 49 years old. so I don't care about "quality", never watch the EPL, just MLS and WC. So how the hell is it trolling?

The last two years in Baltimore, we would get games on the WC Network, so we'd get at least half of the non-national games on that channel. So I have been watching a lot. Now I see that ESPN claims that this Sundays DC/NYFC game is on ESPN3, but my Comcast listings show other games, but not that one, I'll check later in the week, but maybe ESPN3 is blacked out locally? I wouldn't be able to watch that anyways, I'm going to the Blast game that afternoon. It's FUN ENTERTAINMENT, and pretty cheap, good for people not obsessed with "quality of play".

Winoman repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    ESPN is a streaming service so I'm not sure why Comcast would show that.

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, ESPN3 isn't real - it's one of their streaming services, I guess similar to ESPN+ only you get ESPN3 free assuming you have a cable/satellite login that it will acknowledge that day) similar to NBCSportsnet or FoxGo.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Because I can watch ESPN3 and streaming services like ACC Extra through my Exfinity Cable box as part of my cable TV service.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neat. That and their sponsorship of what I still call the Busch Series in NASCAR makes me hate them a little less :)

Winoman repped this.
  6. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I have Comcast also and do use it to stream things but I have never seen them in the listings only occasionally advertised.

7. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Do you have the X1 Platform cable box, with the voice control? You can just say ESPN3 and it brings up all the listings, same with YouTube, ACC Extra, anything.

8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't have it. I did set the game to record and I believe it was on ESPN and if not ESPN2.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I certainly understand the avalanche of "small" subscriptions. I now have FloFC, Mhz, Acorn and Spotify along with the extortionate Xfinity package I obtained so my wife would have high speed internet for her work.

GumbyG, Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  10. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not the case. If it was I would do it in a heartbeat.

Unless I'm mistaken one would need the following combination of services to watch all DCU matches:

- Fox Broadcast TV (one game, the only broadcast TV game this season)
    - A cable package with ESPN
    - A cable package with FSI
    - A cable package with UniMas (one game)
    - ESPN+ streaming subscription
    - FloSports streaming subscription

Am I wrong? If I'm not, this is the most fan-unfriendly TV season I have ever heard of...in any major sport. Insane.

By the way, this is the national televised match schedule that I saved from a DCU tweet or their site a few weeks back (all other matches are only on FloSports streaming):

DCU vs. Atlanta United - Sun, Mar 3, 6pm ET, ESPN
    Orlando City vs. DCU - Sun, Mar 31, 6:30pm ET, FS1
    DCU vs. Los Angeles FC - Sat, Apr 6, 3pm ET, Fox
    DCU vs. NY City FC - Sun, Apr 21, 4pm ET, ESPN
    Minnesota United vs. DCU - Sun, Apr 28, 1:30pm ET, FS1
    DCU vs. Sporting KC - Sun, May 12, 7pm ET, FS1
    DCU vs. NE Revolution - Fri, Jul 12, 7pm ET, ESPN
    FC Cincinnati vs. DCU - Thu, Jul 18, 8pm ET, ESPN
    Atlanta United vs. DCU - Sun, Jul 21, 4pm ET, ESPN
    DCU vs. Philadelphia Union - Sun, Aug 4, 7:30pm ET, FS1
    DCU vs. LA Galaxy - Sun, Aug 11, 7:30pm ET, FS1
    DCU vs. NY Red Bulls - Wed, Aug 21, 8pm ET, UniMas
    Portland Timbers vs. DCU - Sun, Sept 15, 7:30pm ET, FS1

Winoman repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You're right and, yes, it is completely insane. .

I think your best bet is to get a VPN and purchase ESPN+. If you're willing to go on a social media blackout for 24 hours, mostly everything is either on ESPN+ or appears there 24 hours later.

But, as you point out, you really have to work to be a DCU fan.

Winoman, GumbyG and ImNumberTen repped this.
  12. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't I read somewhere on this board that the FloSports games won't be archived on ESPN+? (Sorry for being lazy and not looking for that post.)

13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was a response to the OP who said they could only watch the national TV games. I just said if he had espn+ and out of market he’d be able to watch all the games. I wasn’t saying you inky need espn+

ImNumberTen repped this.
  14. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Thanks for the schedule anyways, those 13 games will be the ones I will get to see. Sucks that there is a 2 month gap between May and July with no games.

Are there any short highlight versions of games posted on YouTube or anything? And I was really looking forward to this season, because they seem to have a lot of potential.

15. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Perhaps this is because its an away match.. but I currently subscribe to ESPN+ and it shows this Sunday's match on ESPN+ :whistling:

If this is the case and I can watch on plus... then I have no need for Flo ever.

16. sevenMG

sevenMG Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018

on the MLS app there are highlights and also a condensed 20 min game. I think it's up the next day.

Winoman repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This was kind of my point up above, you can't buy everything. You just can't. The cable package you're talking about is a more expensive package, but not the top end. Its certainly not the base. ESPN+ is cheap enough, then toss in Flo. Forget that there are other things you might have to have depending on the people who consume TV in your home. I've already shelled out for NBC Sports Gold to get EPL games. I passed on the Turner Champions League package, which I think only includes the Europa League final. And Serie A used to get decent coverage on some channel in my cable package before it went on ESPN+

All that stuff used to be included in a decent cable package, which hasn't gotten any cheaper even if a lot of quality content has been removed.

ImNumberTen and Winoman repped this.
  18. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This flosports deal will really impact the way I follow DC United and MLS... I have decided to not subscribe to flosports. I have already subscribed to ESPN+ which is a much better deal. I will wait the 48 hours between the game and it being on ESPN+. I will not be on BigSoccer or watching other matches until I see the United game (they tend to give away scores of other games). MLS, ESPN, Foxsports, unimas and Twitter will all lose out because they have allowed DC and other clubs to go this route. I'm sure I will end up watching less MLS. I will not be going to MLSSoccer.com or DCunited.com util I have seen the game... damn this is frustrating. The exception to this will be when United games are nationally broadcast.

Von Zee, fatbastard, D C B 2 3 and 2 others repped this.
  19. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had your level of discipline to pull that off for myself.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting to find out if Direct Kick blocks me out in my area. Western Carroll County.

21. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Even that I consider expensive. I think it's like $22/month through Comcast. FOR ME anyways, that would be a lot just to see the DC games. IMO there are PLENTY of MLS games on TV every week as it is if I just want to watch any of the other teams, if I paid for Direct Kick, it would only be to watch DC, I don't sit and watch games every day and night.

22. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I'm just curious? How many games a week do you watch? EPL, Serie A, CL, MLS?

23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    This is not quite correct.

It depends on where you live.

If you live in the DC area (which the team apparently considers to be in VA north of Richmond, all of DC, all of MD, and all of DE), then you need:

Access to FOX, ESPN, FS1, UniMas, and FloSports (you don't need ESPN+)

And I say "access" instead of "a cable package" because cable is no longer the only solution to accessing those channels.

For instance, a subscription to YouTube TV's streaming service will give you FOX, ESPN, and FS1. And Unimas is available as a stand-alone streaming service on a month-to-month basis.

If you live outside the DC area, then you need:

Access to FOX, ESPN, FS1, Unimas and ESPN+.

With regard to this being the most fan unfriendly package, from a cost/flexibility perspective that's not necessarily true.

Last year, when games were on News Channel 8, if you lived in the DC area, you were forced to have a CABLE package as that was the only way to access the channel.

Now, with the games available on Flo, you are not tied to cable. You can have cable if you want or you can cut the cord and get whatever you want at a potentially cheaper cost. You have flexibility you didn't have a year ago...

If you live outside DC, nothing has changed.

That said, I understand that to watch the games this year you need to jump through some hoops you didn't have to a year ago. I'm not saying this FloSports deal was a good idea. Just pointing out that it's not quite clear cut that this is a terrible deal for fans - and yes, I recognize there are issues beyond cost/flexibility about marketing your product to casual fans.

For me personally, offering the games as a standalone package has allowed me to permanently drop cable and Im saving significant money on my TV bill every month and still getting every channel my family wants...

Winoman, UnitedBorn and griffin1108 repped this.
  24. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I want to thank @QuietSide for that dispassionate analytical approach to how "inconvenient" this year's TV viewing of DC United games is compared to last. (I do remember the recent whingeing about the Sinclair deal that preceded Flo;).) We are in the middle of another paradigm shift in watching televised sports (or just television actually). As for TV sports, I'm old enough to remember the only televised baseball games I could watch as a kid were the 9 road games the SF Giants played against the Dodgers. The NFL telecast of the 49ers was locally produced and only included road games. The Raiders in the early days of the AFL were awful and periodically on the AFL's national broadcast. Hockey and soccer? Fuhgeddiboutit.

Now we still have over the air (mostly) broadcasts of NFL games, but with the ESPN and NFL Network that is changing and likely will go away sooner rather than later. Baseball really is a local broadcast issue and in DC it's on pay cable. Hockey here is the same, the playoffs are a mix of paid cable and over the air. Soccer, both MLS and others is a dog's breakfast of over the air, paid cable and streaming. If you want to consume televised sports today, you will have to pay for it through cable and also a streaming subscription or two. You can bemoan that fact, but it won't change.

The main problem I see with DCU and MLS television in particular is that the coverage is so fragmented. Having three "national" broadcast deals (ESPN, Fox and Unimas) doesn't do the league any favors (the recent reports of declining viewership tend to support this.) Each week I have to check and see which broadcast "partner" is broadcasting what game and at what time. Makes it hard to do event viewing.

Maybe in the future, MLS will have a single broadcast channel (or streaming service) until then, if you want to watch, you will have to scramble. I'll deal with it -- or we could go back to the old days of condensed games like "Soccer made in Germany" -- no thanks.

Winoman repped this.
  25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Between my son and I, I'd wager than half a dozen soccer games would be watched over the course of the week. Its a bit more him than me, but on a lazy, poor weather weekend, soccer could be on all day Saturday and Sunday. In addition to DCU, I am a West Ham fan so they were often a free stream on NBC Sports until they rolled out the Gold option which probably has more of their games than the free option. My son also follows Juventus and Dortmund closely enough to have a Pulisic and Ronaldo jersey, so having that coverage is of importance. We don't watch a lot of NFL in our house and I gave up Sunday Ticket over a decade ago. NBA and even NCAA aren't a thing for us. The Caps would probably be the only team that's typically available via our cable package that we watch from a sports standpoint.

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.