Why Mexico will beat the US in Columbus

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Nightmare310, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Nightmare310

Nightmare310 Member+

Dec 6, 2007
    The Streets
    The last time I had a good feeling about something, Chivas beat Toluca in the bombonera for the championship. I have the same feeling for this game and I know Mexico will come out with a good result out of Columbus.

Mexico will beat the Nads because we outplayed them the last 2 games in US soil but we couldn't put the ball in the net.

Mexico will beat the Nads because our team is the most talented in Concacaf. We just need things to come together and this seems like the perfect time to have a great game.

Mexico will beat the Nads because we played in a very tough group before the hex and that experience should help our players.

Mexico will beat the Nads because we're due to beat these assholes.

Feel free to add more reasons why Mexico will beat the US. I'm optimistic about this match for many reasons but it feels like some posters in BSMX have already given up on our boys.

2. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i like your optimism

with guys like Vela, Guardado, Magallon, Arce, Torrado, etc out for this game; this is going to be the time for the bench guys to show their worth and demonstrate that they can start on the NT

it'll be a complete turnaround like back in '07 from Copa Oro to Copa America

3. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know many on here are very pessimistic about this game. However, I too am very optimistic, I like that Sven has to bring different players then he has been using on the pitch because of suspension and injuries. The guys that get the shot will be playing there ass off to win a spot and I think that will help elevate our play. If we are to believe that our MFL is better then their league, that means we have more talent and a bigger pool of players to pick from and that we should be more then fine with newer guys in the fold. Just my two cents.

4. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    because for once, we will be the ones to play the counter and use our fast, skilled players like nery, medina, and vuoso to knock in 2 goals on counter attacks. our back four (castillo, magllon i hope, salcido, and osorio) will handle donovan and dempsey, and our two defensive mids (pavel and leandro) will show strength and skill in breaking up plays and get the ball to our offensive center mid (lucas ayala) who will push the ball to the wings, who will then get the ball to vuoso for the easy tap in or header. oh yeah, and osvaldo will handle the crosses into his box with authority and sure hands.

i've never seen mexico play the counter against the U.S. that's how they play us everytime we play, and they always knock in the trash goal, or the counter strike with donovan getting past our backline who pushes up and tries to play on offense. I say give them the ball and use the space this will create with our skilled players. if this happens, we'll be the ones to win on Feb. 11. I truly believe that as soon as we are able to win a game in U.S. soil, the espina will be taken out, and we'll be able to win against them once again. It's that first win that is always the hardest.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. Swag Flu

Swag Flu Member+

Sep 11, 2008
    Lo$ $candalou$
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

That is just too damn funny.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I want one of those dolls.

8. invisible_shadow

Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought Vouso was injured?:confused:

I would hate to play the bunker and counter method.But just imagine,if we somehow do win that way,we can watch the Spazzos get so upset,cry and b1tch about the fact how we didn't come out and play like men.:rolleyes:

9. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i am adamantly against the bunker and counter strategy, but fuck it! lets give the Nads a taste of their own medicine

10. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    It is my opinion that the recent injuries are actually a blessing in disguise..

I remember the events leading to the first WCQ match played against the Nads in Colombus. The events leading to that game were far worse than what is currently happening to the NT. Cuauhtemoc Blanco had suffered a brutal hack by Ancil Elcock, Ramon Ramirez had been in a car crash that ended his MNT career. Alberto Garcia Aspe, in many ways the heart and balls of the NT during though times, was on his way out and not a part of Meza's team.

The end result was a devestating 0-2 defeat that set the pace for a downhill ride that would see the Tricolor lose their undefeated streak at the Azteca stadium. It was a NT that came within one bad result of missing the WC but ultimately finished the Hexagonal in second place.

This time around, however, there is one major diffrence. The Tricolor has been in transition for two years. It has already suffered through a few pains; Gold Cup, and Olympic qualifiers. There have been many players weeded out and a few that have shown promise.

Without many of its top players the pressure will be off the team. The MNT more than anything is expected to lose and if the Tricolor has thought us anything it is that it always plays better when expectations are low.

The core of the squad should be composed of Mexican League players; most of which should be in good-form having just started the season. In contrast we have a USMNT whos local players are off-season and a Euro-base of players that have little playing time. Also adding fule to the fire is the recent call up of two more naturalized players, Lucas and Leandro, which should serve as a wake up call that anyone playing good will get a chance in Sven's team..

11. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Once in a drunken daze I suggested fielding a alternate team Vs the Nads in order to nullify
    their familiarity... Although I was hoping it would be a coach that is familiar with the depth in Mexican soccer and would call up a decent team. Sven is a good coach I just seriously have my doubts in regards to his player selection.

Still, I see Mexico having a chance to get the win, I would even venture to say it might be a Peru like score line... the reason I say so is because Mexico continuously holds the edge in major offensive stats... I really think its a matter of shots going in if they go in early the US is in for a world of hurt.

12. Naui_Ocelotl

Naui_Ocelotl Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I would be pleasantly surprised if it were a Peru like scoreline in our favor but I could definitely see a tight victory for us.

13. mexifrida

mexifrida Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm not going to get too optimistic yet.
    The players need to get better with working as a team, and I hope they'll take advantage of the time they're going to have to train.
    But I agree with El Cabrito, the key is to score early and surprise them.
    If we do, we'll probably at least get a tie.

14. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    i think we can get a tie, unless they score first then its game over. Dont want to be pessimistic on a optimistic thread but we are not Brazil or Argentina to be able to beat a solid team like the gringos with a team full of second string players that havent even had a chance to play a few games together.

15. capone-e

capone-e Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Uruapan

Agreed i will be more than happy with a Tie

16. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    just here to ask a question...do you guys think the mexico team is made to bunker? as a US fan, i've always thought mexico was at its best and would have its best chance to win against the US by bringing it with its technical midfield. when mexico has beaten brazil, they play with brazil and beat them at their own game, i would suppose.

i've never seen mexico bunker...has mexico "bunkered" before in any noteworthy games?

i'm only here to talk tactics/strategies not to mess up your board or anything. if i'm posting at a time with too many feelings and energy than I can go away.

17. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    I think you're correct in pointing out that Mexico does not really have a history of bunkering down and playing the counter. However, I think the current cadre of players that would lend itself to this type of play (Zinha, Castillo, Dos Santos, Medina). You need fast mids and forwards to play this style, and Mexico has tons of fast, skill players. The problem is that we don't currently have any true strikers. US plays this style well because Landon can play forward if he has to, and is fantastic cutting through defenses and building from the midfield. I think Nery Castillo, if he regains his form and learns to pass can play this role for Mexico.

Typically, Mexico-US go as follows: the U.S. relinqueshes possession to Mexico who attacks on the wings looking to penetrate with quick passes into the box. Mexico is able to penetrate 1 or 2 times in the first half, but is rebuffed by great goal-keeping. At the end of the first half, or midway through the second half (when players are tired, and Mexico, having worked hard to push forward is even more tired), the US is able to steal the ball and then pushes is out on the wing at midfield. The ball is quickly pushed forward to Donovan or Beasley who usually only have one or two defenders to beat (and these defenders are usually out of place). The goal is typically created on plays such as these, or off set pieces given due to fouls by the out of place Mexican defenders. It's an especially frustrating way to lose a game due to the fact that Mexico is typically the one dictating the pace. Or are they? I think by allowing Mexico to take the ball, and capitalizing on the one or two mistakes that seem to always take place, the U.S. is actually the one dictating how the game is played.

This is why I think Mexico should play to bunker in this game. By doing this, they will have more control of the pace of the game, and won't blow their wads running up and down the wings making crosses that Tim Howard will just pick out of the air. If Mexico plays the counter, they will be able to keep the ball on the ground which is Mexico's strength, and use this to beat Howard with quick shots in or outside of the box. And, at the very least, will give the U.S. something other than the typically attacking style they are used to seeing from Mexico.

Sorry for the essay, but this is what the board is for, no?

18. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    it will be interesting to see the tactics mexico bring to the table, no doubt. and i would agree that, circa 1998- mids 2000s, we relinquished possession to a very large degree, but that lately we have developed personal more adept at keeping the ball and developing an attack. the games seem always to come down to a conflict between mexico's superior technical ability versus USA's superior athleticsm. i have to admit, with all the injuries and mexico's infusion of young talent i am less familiar with the mexican team this go around. many people are talking that mexico is hurt right now, but we've all heard that mantra of wounded animals being dangerous. the notion of mexico being "due" doesn't bother me (it's a gamblers fallacy), but if we underestimate mexico in any respect we'll likely get burned.

but i think we can all hope that there will be a competitive and exciting game on the 11th

19. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Give the players shades ala Edgar Davids, so they can see yellow.

Tell them to bunker because we are playing Brazil.

Watch them get two shots off the entire game and score both.

20. estaticxalde

estaticxalde Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Alta Loma
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico will beat the Nads because last week I got drunk and bet my high school buddy 500 that mexico will beat the Nads.

21. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    straight up bet 1:1?

22. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    be cause beasly nor landycakes are not playing!!

23. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There are certain moments in life where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when they occurred.

Like for example, most of us remember what we were doing when 9/11 happened.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing in 2002 when we lost to the USA. Each time we have lost to them since, I get the horrible flashbacks of that dreadful day.

I would love nothing more than for us to finally beat the nads in their home

24. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    No way Mexico beats US we're playing with no heart or brain. :mad:

25. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico