Why Lopez Caro might be good for Real Madrid long term...

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Sid Wilson, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MrMan

MrMan New Member

May 20, 2005
    I don't believe that.

With the countless number of people playing soccer, mere talent is not enough to get to the top. You have to work your ass off and be mentally tough too..

Look at Beckham.. he might be a pretty boy, but he works harder than just about anyone else.

Zidane is known for working as hard as he can, always giving 100%, Figo was the same.. The only one who doesn't come under this label is Ronaldo - and with his injuries from the past I would say its more to do with caution than laziness.

"I have never played without pain since my injury.." he said.

No, I don't buy it.

2. lizardking

lizardking New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago
    No. I can't agree with you. Put yourself in their position. Would you think that way? No one of the galaticos is comfortable these days. YOu can see their faces in the games. They are not stupid enough to think "hey, I am a RM player and I am already the best!". Ramos won't think that way, nor will Bekcham, Zidane or even Ronaldo.

Don't you remember the beautiful footbal RM were playing just 1 or two seasons ago? All the major players were already here and they brought us joy!

Now the team is suffering. I think the major reasons are :
    1) Luxa introduced a new system and it simply failed.
    2) The superstars are aging. That is obvious.
    3) Important one: we bought too many young talents this season, especially those from south america.

I guess no one else here doubts the decision of the board to buy younger players this season. But actually it's not a sure-win bet. Young talents take time to adapt or maybe never have the time to adapt to our system.

See what happened in the past years. Barca got Saviola, Requelme and Quarezma while we bought established stars like Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo. Barca were typically trying young talents while we spend a lot on established players. Barca won nothing while we won CL and La Liga.

There is alway big risk in trying young foreign talents and in teams like RM and Barca, the fans are not ready to accept failure in such bets. Thus I thought the Galatico policy was clever.

Yes the galaticos are aging. That's a fact and we have to juvenized the squad. The board of RM realized this problem suddenly last summer. What brought us this miserable season is, I believe, the drastic actions to try to juvenize the squad in one summer! Too many foreign young players and the team is not what it was. Considering gaining titles, trying Robinho was not a clever move. Even though he impressed the world in his debut, the fact is he can't adapt in no time while Real Madrid count on him a lot. Such an environment is not good for young talents to improve. Hey, he is new in this country and he is only 21 years old! In a sense, Robinho's situation is quite like that of Riquelme and Saviola years ago. I hope he can adapt soon but I am not optimistic.

So, in the next summer, I would like to see Madrid sign some proved players because currently Real Madrid are piling expectations on the signings to get results immediately. If a signed player does not perform well in several games, the pressure on him will be well enough to crush him. That's also why I don't think Lugano is a good choice however good he looks now.

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah i guess I was wrong in saying that our galacticos aren't really working hard. The only explanation then is that they are done or close to it. We need to revamp because these guys giving their all still ain't enough.

4. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Exactly. But one day, perhaps soon, people will get fed up with it. Unfortunately, because he did start well, only to become a dangerous megalomaniac with grandiosity delirium.

5. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench

I agree totally with what you say. Ironically it has been since Perez moved away from the 1 galactico and 1 from the cantera policy that our level of performance has dropped. i know he had to do this to increase the size and balance of the squad, but now we are signing gambles or ones for the future that take time to find their feet . We have to accept our side is in transition and it may take a while for things to come right...but they will. The quality of the Castilla side is improving and signings of young players such as Ramos Cicinho Robinho and Cassano WILL pay off in time. I believe we need a left back (Cole or Aurrelio) a quick left sided player (Reyes) and a midfielder (Ballack). Assuming Zidane retires, Baptista, Graveson and Raul Bravo should be released as well to create space in the squad.

6. skeleton

skeleton New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    releasing baptista would be a bad idea. he needs time to settle. i have seen some good moments from him.

The biggest problem imo from this bad run is that people will not support a losing. Look at cricket. they made a world X1. with the exception of missing one great player, it was the best possible. yet they were destroyed by one nation. This is a strikin parralel to madrid. Great team, poor morale, poor performance,

Without results, the fan will vanish, no money for galacticos and madrid will be gone again for years.

7. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    He looked good at Sevilla but I just don't see where he fits into the Madrid team. Whose place does he take ? Do you have him as a squad player? Wouldn't Ballack be a better option for Baptista? Will his first touch ever improve? I hope he can settle and find a role but i just don't see it.

The fans will never vanish...Madrid like Man utd, Juve, Boca and Bayern etc. will always have a huge worldwide following, almost regardless of results (within reason of course).
    The Galacticos are self financing in that simply signing them generates the income to pay for them.

8. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    I agree with that. Obviously he hasn't been playing well enough to start, but if we release everyone on the bench then we are back to 12 first team players and that has been the root of our problems all along, since the Queiroz days.

9. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well i never saw baptista coming in as a starter and i dont think we will be but we need players like him on the bench we always say we lack depth and thats mainly cuz we release such as him like imagine we had kept cambiasso , solari, munitis and such players and instead of letting them go usin them ina few more matches with some sort of rotation system to rest our startes n give such players a chance to prove themselves , if baptista doesnt improve in a year or two then fine sell him but i we shouldnt jus cash in on him this summer cuz he had a crap first year hes only 24 and he has atleast 6 more years to go surely we can wait til next year n see if he improves ballack might be a better quick fix solution but we really should be lookin for someone younger ..

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    he was one expensive squad player than. there are probably people that were available for much cheaper than what we paid for Baptista. I hope he improves, but its not looking good.

11. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    Like Maxi Lopez, Edmilson, Belletti, half of Chelsea, Rui Costa, half of Inter and so many more. If you want the best, you have to pay accordingly.

12. Butragueño

Butragueño Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Madrid
    Maxi Lopez, Edmilson and Belletti did not cost anywhere near the 25 million euros we paid for Baptista.

13. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Whatever you think of Baptista's long term future at Madrid, the fact is he needs to be taken out of the team for a while, as his confidence looks totally shattered...play him in the Copa del Ray or bring him on in games that are already won (hopefully we will have some!) and let him try and find some form without so much pressure.

14. awmhamodat

awmhamodat New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    for baptista, i say the best thing is to bench him for couple of games, and bring him on as sub.Hell be more effective then.

Also, he is still pretty young and he should get used to one spot on the field.The poor guy has been moved alot of possesions.So mybe we should give him some more times.

15. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    All three put together cost 25 million + Reina, and their total contribution is even lower than Baptista's.

16. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOUR ENGLISH.

17. awmhamodat

awmhamodat New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    lo sorry man , chill , english is my 3rd language so take it easy.Also i typereally fast and I make a lot of mistakes . Sorry.

Baptista has played in different positions on the field , and coaches have tried him as LM, AM, striker, and he played def mid in his carrer.!st he had to adapt of luxa tactics, and now caro.So give the guy a chance, and let him sit on the bench for now.Some people are suggesting we should sell him , or make trade with arsenal for cole.I say the guy is still 23 , and he should offer alot to madrid in the future.

18. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Either way, Baptista is not good at Real. He's had plenty of time to mix and mingle with the rest of the superstars, and he's had time to show that he's clearly not their caliber. Maybe him and Ruud van Nistelrooy should get an apartment together when he goes to England in trade for A. Cole, and RvN can teach him how to skillfully tap in loose balls from 2 or 3 yards out, and maybe Henry can teach him the art of gamesmanship.

As for Real, I'm convinced Baptista is done. He missed sitters that I know 99% of BigSoccer would put away (the other 1% have no legs).

19. ZZR923

ZZR923 New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    it's a confidence thing with baptista - he has lost his completely.

you don't turn into a bad player overnight and last season he was (first/second?) top scorer in la liga.

with ronaldo in and out through injury we should have the perfect cover in julio??

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Man this is why I wish we had a reserve team policy at La Liga, where we could play Baptista as a started for a couple games against lower competition to let him gain some confidence back. I'm sure the weekly training games are competitive and all that, but if he played a couple real matches against lower stuff, he would maybe have some confidence.

21. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So, when is he planning to start?

Baptista and Robinho are playing so awfully bad that it is helping them, as it's impossible to believe that they are such fiasco, so we all prefer to think that it is because of the circumstances. But hey, aren't players who make the teams after all? What if they start playing well instead of blaming "the crisis" for everything?

We hadn't had such failed new players since Anelka. He ended up doing more or less ok, but remember that he was transfered after one season. Robinho has shown some drops of quality here and there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baptista was sold this summer.

22. awmhamodat

awmhamodat New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well we had similiar situations with zidane.He was most expenisve player and he wasn't performing in the 1st few months.Everyone criticized him, but look what he did after.(cl final)

23. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He was transfered because, on top of everything, he was a jerk.

24. josecam100

josecam100 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Firstly,I think anyone would have been a positive change after Lux, who looked so out of his depth at the end that he was drowning and dragging the rest of the team down with him.

A change of attitude from the players is what is required at the moment, they must continue to play at their best and not give up on their club. This manager seems to be having a positive effect in this, as already it looks as if the players are fitter than they have been, and more eager to pressure opponents and achieve results.

The Villarreal match was a turning point in some ways, the wings were exploited more in 90 Min's than they have in the rest of the year, this alone is a positive effect from the manager, and contributed to a much more effective playing style.

I personally do not think the management at Real, will allow Caro the power to make any sweeping changes that will effect them long term, which is a shame, as this man certainly has the club interests at heart.

The best we can ask for at the moment is improved performances in terms of team work and work ethic, which when combined with the enate quality of the players should result in victories, and success going forward....

;)

25. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Very interesting interview with Lopez Caro:

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg060111/prensa/noticias/deportes/futbol/200601/11/nac-dep-091.asp

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg060111/prensa/noticias/Deportes/Futbol/200601/11/NAC-DEP-093.asp

It is too long to traslate it. Here you have a brief summary:

- He doesn't like rotations. He is still searching his favourite starting 11, but when he find it he will play with those 11 players almost all the games.

- It seems that he is gonna play with only 1 pivot/Midfielder and 2 offensive midfielders (4-1-4-1) Because is the system that he thinks that fit better with the players the he has, although depending of the games he can play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.

- The only pivot, or the player behind the four midfielders, is gonna be one of this players: Ramos, Helguera, P. Garcia and Gravesen He has said that at this moment these for players are "fighting" for the pivot postion, and he want to take the final decision soon. Then, he will give confidence to the winner player (that player willl play almost all the games).

- He says that he has 3 players to play as right midfielder/wingers: Beckham, Cicinho and Balboa Reading his answer, the favourite is Beckham, followed by Cicinho and Balboa. He doesn't mention Diogo for this position.

- He says the that he only has 1 player to play as left midfielder/winger: Robinho

- It seems that his favourite players at this moment to replace Ronaldo is Soldado, followed by Cassano, and finally Baptista He said that if Sodado plays he won't have any problem to let in the bench Zidane, Cassano, Guti or Baptista.

So reading the interview, the team could be:

--------------------------------------Casillas/Diego Lopez
    Salgado/Cicinho/Diogo--- Ramos/Heguera---Woody/Pavon ------RC/ Bravo

---------------------------Ramos/P.Garcia/Helguera/Gravesen
    Beckham/Cicinho/Balboa----Guti/Cassano---Zidane/Baptista------Robinho/xxx
    -----------------------------Soldado/Cassano/Baptista