Why isn't soccer ?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by strawberryfields, Dec 27, 2005.

1. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Why majority of American dislike soccer ? what makes them have so much hatred towards this beautiful game ?

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you support AC Milan.

3. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Simple.

The French are better at it, that's why.

4. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What the hell. I'll bite. WHat our friend Matt Burlew above is saying is that he couldn't help but notice that you as an american list ac milan as your favorite club. To add insult to injury, you list the USA national team which I am sure you took a liking to after the 2002 world cup - without probably realizing that the majority of the team was MLS players.

There are a ton of "soccer fans" in the USA who will proudly wear their ac milan and manchester united jerseys (without having set foot within a 1000 miles of the cities) yet couldn't be bothered to comment on "our" american teams and do the dirty work of building "our" league.

5. strawberryfields

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    I'll replace that AC Milan w/ Galaxy when the MLS season begins.

6. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005
    because the media dismisses it as a boring sport, yet they support nascar,baseball....all of which are much more boring then soccer

7. strawberryfields

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    and golf, the worst of them all.

8. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005
    when you got idoits like jim rome or Tony Kornheiser(from PTI) talk crap about soccer on t.v.

these are the type of losers who will be sitting down watching a baseball game on july 9th, while billions of people are watching the world cup final.....yet go ahead and try and dismiss that...complete morons.

9. roma/totti

roma/totti Red Card

Dec 14, 2005

oh and you supporting fulham is any better....hmm i wonder why mcbride and bocanegra...bet you would be supporting ac milan if they had donovon

and there is nothing wrong with that i mean i support rossi at man utd don't you :rolleyes: :p :D

10. Xantium

Xantium New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Well, what is americas pasttime? baseball
    What is on every sunday and monday night on ESPN? football
    Americans are brought up mostly using their hands, which makes us very good at what? being goalkeepers :) and basketball
    How many scores of MLS have you seen on the bottom of the screen when your watching news or ESPN? i have only seen national team scores, however i dont really watch to many of those shows.

for the most part however, more people play soccer than every other team sport in the USA except basketball. 3 times as many participants as baseball (third highest).

11. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Frankly, I think people dislike what they don't understand, which is why the English hate baseball and Americans hate cricket, even though the two sports are very similar in many respects.

Soccer is both the simplest and most complicated game in the world. It's simple in that the rules and the objective of the game are very easy to understand, and complicated in the sense that there are an infinite number of strategies that evolve and there is so much happening at any one time that unless you understand the game it can be difficult to understand what's really going on.

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You're somewhat off, the Brits and mostly all Europeans understand baseball and all other american sports, whether they like it or not is up to different circumstances, Americans on the other hand don't understand cricket and because of the large ethnocentric sentiment imbedded in this country it hinders them from making any progression concerning anything foreign.

13. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Alright alright this is the real reason why USSR......I had a conversation with my history teacher and the issue came up.Why Americans have NEVER liked soccer? and that is the sole reason. Americans could not play the game of the communist they were the DEVIL of the world why would Americans copy the COMMUNIST and it makes sense....look at the plaedge of alligiance the UNDER GOD was added to make americans look better than the communist.......when USA did all the sattelite spying some years later and all they saw were SOCCER fields at CUBA they knew it was the communists and turned them even more off from soccer so thats the reason why soccer never stared here in the USA and everytime it might have came up things like that kept it from growing.

14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    While I don't disagree in general with a lot of the ethnocentrism present in America, I disagree that it has anything to do with Americans' understanding of cricket. Frankly, the biggest reason that Americans know nothing about cricket is because there really isn't anyone around to expose us to it.

Frankly, the only reason I know anything at all about cricket is because I play Hattrick and ended up via that starting to play Battrick.

Personally, I don't think I could become a fan of watching the sport, but I would like to try playing it sometime.

15. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Of course that is not the reason now.....retards :D but it is why the custom continues the foreign sport boring and stupid and you know the rest etc etc....

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ahh now we're getting closer, ignorance, yep, Americans have tendencies not to take any interest in anything foreign even if its at least understanding it, that's why they're stupid when it comes to geography, don't speak multiple languages and are lost when it comes to cricket for example. regardless of not being exposed to it, curiosity alone should lead to education. When it comes to Americans though, its just not the case.

17. Xantium

Xantium New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    about the cuba stuff, cubans, from my own experience, do not like soccer that much, but baseball is their biggest and most liked sport. correct me if im wrong, but didnt soccer come from the english in early 1900's, not the USSR?

18. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    YES it did but what im saying that it never spread here in the USA because it got so popular with the communist USSR so fast and you know how it was with americans and communists back in the day. WHat i was saying about the CUBA stuff was that part of the reason why USA knew USSR was there. IT was because of all the soccer fields they saw in the sattelite pictures and americans knowing that cubans only sport was BASEBALL well they put one and one together. My point being how much USSR loved soccer and how that just made USA hate it even more and the trend just kept going till the present years.

19. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Actually there were early games in the middle ages and even as early japanese and chinese early aerly cultures that were very similar to "soccer" but the actual modern soccer was invented by the English how u said but I think in the mid 1800's but were based off of the earlier games.

20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Well, I don't think that's a very fair statement. There are only a finite number of things a person can be genuinely curious about. Are we obligated to be any more interested in cricket than anything else? I couldn't disagree more.

21. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To say there is no interest in the sport is ignorant in itself. There is no shortage of youth players, and I'm sure that once those players become adults, the sport will experience a boom as those adults get their kids into the sport.

22. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with you completly.......so what about all these soccer oriented countries where soccer is everyhting? I doubt (for example) a mexican in monterrey gives a rats ass about anything else besides their soccer team. Maybe one other MAJOR sport like football but even then they proly know half the rules and thats all. So why not criticize all these other places where all they know and care about is soccer. So americans dont like soccer their sport is BASEBALL or FOOTBALL so why should they be expected to know another like soccer when soccer fans are not expected to know anything else......doesnt seem fair to critisize americans when their sport is NOT soccer.

23. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Good post. I agree with you.

Unfortunately, a lot of the reason the USA gets a good deal of heat is not the quality of play of our national team or even the quality of play of MLS, but the behavior of a small but vocal number of US fans.

24. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's actually not fair, most countries I can think of do have a 2nd sport which is quite popular: iun the UK cricket, Rugby and field hockey, in eastern and Northern Europe Ice hockey, in Germany and the Balkans Handball, in Argentina Polo and Rugby, in Brazil Volleyball, ...
    No the US not sharing any of those sports is not our problem, is it? I mean take baseball for example, Europe will never like the sport as long as there is an all-american world series. Same goes for the super bowl being called the biggest Tv spectacle on earth: outside of the US nobody cares. NOw take Basketball for example, this has a less extreme attitude (and easier rules) and is far more popular over here than baseball or football.

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

ok, let me put it this way then, the chances of a british or european knowing about baseball are much bigger than the chances of encountering an american that will know about cricket.